Father son seat question

Jaketig

Hello, first post, been listening to Rush for 30 years and went to my first concert ever in Clockwork Angels, was lucky to get fifth row for that... And wow.

Fast forward to today and my nine year old has heard enough of Rush and watched Peart drum solos on youtube so that when he heard me talking about R40 his eyes lit up and with a big smile asked if he gets to go this time... Well Dad tries to do the occasional memorable things with his sons sooooooo.... It was his turn. Being perhaps the only time I may see them with him I thought hell I work hard for my money, and this is something he will always remember, so presale happened and I sprang for some VIP ticks for the Maverik Center Utah show...

Well here is the dilemma, I also bought some tixs for some friends who now can't go, and I have to sell one pair and keep another and can't figure out where my son and I should be...

One set is floor right 8th row seats 14/15 right next to the center aisle... The other is faaaar floor right 3rd row seats 1/2.... I am not sure what is best and need some folks with more concert knowledge than me to give me some opinions... I am afraid if he stands on his seat he will be forced down and I really want this to be special... On the other hand the closer set is literally all the way to the right. Any thoughts on which to keep? or I guess I could say forget it and go higher right or left off the floor, but I am already dizzy from just having two tix to get rid of... Thanks much folks.

Edited by Jaketig

I took my daughter for the first time when she was nine, on the Clockwork Angels tour. I purposely bought first row in the second section, so there wouldn't be issues seeing. I don't think anyone would mind if he stands on the chair as long as he isn't blocking everyone's view. Plus with the big screens, they can see what is going on. No matter where you sit, it's going to be special. :haz:

Thanks, I think I will start by getting rid of the far right third row tix.... I looked at bowl prices and holy crap! The only way to do that would be trying to get someone to trade or getting lucky on normal sale day... Let's hope the ushers are nice.

any other advice is welcome... Thanks again.

I am afraid if he stands on his seat he will be forced down and I really want this to be special...

How tall is he? If he's around 4 feet, standing on the seat will give him 18-24 more inches. He shouldn't be so tall that he blocks other people's view.

Take the aisle seats. He can stand in the aisle and hopefully have nobody in front of him.

Good advice. I've done this with my kids. Security people usually won't be jerks if it is for a nine year old.

Yep,

He is young and needs some space to move around. I think this is the best choice. :D :rush:

he'll be fine wherever - i'd go a bit further back than those 3rd row seats to make sure he has a good perspective of the screens.

my son's coming with me - he's 11. his first show was in 2010. we're in row 11, first row of 2nd bank of floor seats. can't wait. seeing rush with your kid is the best - just prepare for the emotion of songs like time stands still -- whoa.

Personally, I'd sell them and try to get front row in the lower bowl or mezzanine somewhere. The bass pumping through your body on the floor is a bit intense for a 9 YO.

I'll disagree with this, he'll love that part of it.

At 4'9" he'd probably be fine, just realize you guys will be standing the entire time, and for a Rush show, that will likely feature a half-time where you'll likely be using to hit the heads and get a drink or whatever, i.e. still standing/walking, it could be 3 hours on your feet or close to it. Make sure he's up for it.

Secondly, whatever you do think this thru and don't sell your tix prematurely. I realize you're not trying to make money, but I'll be a babboon if you'll have to sell them at a loss. Take your time, they're only going to increase in value if you ask me.

Have you thought about, given the circumstances, trying to get row 1 or two right up front center for the tix you do have?

Otherwise, those 3rd row tix sound pretty good and he'll be fine behind only two rows of people.

Whatever you do, you've got a couple of months, think things thru and consider all of your options. Believe me, you'll have no trouble getting what you paid for either set unless you got them from resellers to begin with.

he'll be fine wherever - i'd go a bit further back than those 3rd row seats to make sure he has a good perspective of the screens.

my son's coming with me - he's 11. his first show was in 2010. we're in row 11, first row of 2nd bank of floor seats. can't wait. seeing rush with your kid is the best - just prepare for the emotion of songs like time stands still -- whoa.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing, which is what I considered for my family and my two girls who are 7 and 10, the further back you are the better perspective you'll have of the entire show. Is your son more enamored with seeing the boys up close, or getting to see the entire show, which might be their best ever, from further back?

What if, for example, you could get front row seats in section 120 for that one, it'd be off the floor with no one in the way and dead on front view that might be second to none for the big picture.

Just some thoughts.

My son's first show was around that age, so if I allow myself to think back and imagine I were you -- aisle row 8, no question. Being more central and back will give him the better view and sound as well. He can move a bit into the aisle and if the ushers are on top of things will make adults take their seat and cut your boy some breathing room. Or you can do that and the crowd will be on your side. We were fortunate at that age to get ideal seats in the lower bowl on the rail.

We were in a similar location last tour and my boy was 11, but kind of tall. He did find his view blocked initially, but as the show got a little later, the aisle cleared and he could see better. This time, we are nearly identical to your other option - we will be 4th row, Geddy side on the outside. He is now 13 and 5' 7, but if I had the choice, I think I'd still go for row 8 on the left aisle like you have.

Either way- you will love it - bring earplugs, even if you only have him put them in partly - protects his hearing and I think he will enjoy the sound more.

Congrats and Enjoy!

• Like 1

That's sweet that you're taking your son. I think he'll have a blast no matter where you sit. :) My dad took me to my first concert when I was 12—Time Machine at MSG. What a show! This year he's taking me again, and my 8-year-old brother has expressed interest in coming. I think we're bringing him, too. But we don't have the option of being on the floor, unfortunately.

My advice to you would be to take the seats farther back. You and your son will get the best view of the entire show that way. plus, your closer to the exits, so if you guys need a snack or a bathroom break or something…

:rush: on!

• Like 1

Either way- you will love it - bring earplugs, even if you only have him put them in partly - protects his hearing and I think he will enjoy the sound more.

Congrats and Enjoy!

Great point on the earplugs. The sound definitely is improved. Musician's earplugs even better but they cost more.

Thanks folks, currently looking at just doing the row 8 right aisle selection... Got the row 3 far right posted. I already have ear protection for both of us :) i could try to sell to get closer or go a bit further back but the "Dad fund" is empty.

Thanks for the comments I try to do memorable things with the boys... I realized that he is the little rush fan and really this is probably his last chance to see Rush during his first concert :)

He is a pretty energetic guy, standing for the whole time won't bug him.

Edited by Jaketig