What is a "True Rush Fan"?

Lorraine

A true Rush fan never thinks about who a true Rush fan is or considers criteria about what constitutes a true Rush fan. A true Rush fan also never cares about whether anyone else considers them a true fan or not.
  • Like 14

Diferent people Have Different definitions of that.........

me........a true fan is someone who can sit down and discuss rush without becoming over bearing and accepting others views. It is possible , lol. I've met many on here.

Mick

• Like 2

Any Rush fan is a "true" fan... unless they're just pretending to like them...

There's nothing wrong with "just" liking the radio hits. A casual fan is just as much a fan as a devoted fanatic. True, it can be annoying to try to discuss more "obscure" songs/albums with a "casual" fan, but that doesn't change that they like their image of the band. After all, we all have our own image of the band, and even if someone's is "incomplete", that doesn't make it any less legitimate.

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 6

A true Rush fan never thinks about who a true Rush fan is or considers criteria about what constitutes a true Rush fan. A true Rush fan also never cares about whether anyone else considers them a true fan or not.

A true Rush fan also hates Presto ;)

• Like 4

Oh, LABT, once again, I have failed miserably.

:facepalm: :eyeroll: :( fists%20crying.gif

• Like 2

I guess I'm not a Rush fan.

• Like 3

me........a true fan is someone who can sit down and discuss rush without becoming over bearing and accepting others views. It is possible , lol. I've met many on here.

Mick

You have? :unsure: ;)

hard one to answer. There are "fans", "true Rush fans" and Rush "fanatics". I have all their studio albums, not all their live albums (Different Stages is the last one in my collection). I find personal meaning in many of the lyrics but don't live my life by them (well, maybe some of them). I may go see them once on every tour but that's all. I am in the official documentary with a credit, but have never met or spoken with the band, but I have met some people associated with them (Donna Halper, Terry Brown, Michael Mosbach). I have followed the band since 1982. I can recite many lyrics from previous albums, not so much the more recent albums, say "Counterparts" and anything afterward.

In my teen years, I tried to emulate Alex's "look" (from his appearance in Subdivisions and the back cover of Grace Under Pressure) by wearing a Member's Only jacket with my hair parted on the side with just enough mousse or gel.

And I ALWAYS jumped for joy at the mention of a new album in the works and wondering about the release date. Was always curious about the new album title and wondered what the album cover art would look like.

Does this make me a "fan", "true fan", or a "fanatic"?

Mick

i didn't say i ALWAYS practice that, lol it's so HARD. you guys have so many wrong opinions :P

Mick

Mick

i didn't say i ALWAYS practice that, lol it's so HARD. you guys have so many wrong opinions :P oh i see what you meant. And yes i have.

Mick

The only thing that would bother me is that I know of some fans and Rush seems to be the only thing in their life. On Facebook, that is all they mention. One of my friends, Bev, really loves the band and she has a shrine in her house to the band with all kinds of Rush stuff in there, but she has other interests and activities in her life that she talks about.
  • Like 1

The only thing that would bother me is that I know of some fans and Rush seems to be the only thing in their life. On Facebook, that is all they mention. One of my friends, Bev, really loves the band and she has a shrine in her house to the band with all kinds of Rush stuff in there, but she has other interests and activities in her life that she talks about.

That's a fanatic, and someone like that reminds me of the girls in my grammar school who loved the Monkees. They bought every fan magazine that had anything about them in it, and their bedroom walls were top to ceiling pictures from these magazines.

Does your friend burn a candle before the shrine?

someone who listens to Rush and enjoys discussing Rush, but doesn't have to constantly show how much they love Rush.
  • Like 2

That's a fanatic, and someone like that reminds me of the girls in my grammar school who loved the Monkees. They bought every fan magazine that had anything about them in it, and their bedroom walls were top to ceiling pictures from these magazines.

Does your friend burn a candle before the shrine?

No, LOL. I used the word shrine loosely. She's not obsessed. My point about her is that she is a hard core fan but her interest in the band doesn't take over her life. With others, though, it seems to be the only thing in their lives and I think that is unhealthy.

• Like 1

I guess I'm not a Rush fan.

Me either i guess :/

A true rush fan.... I guess that anyone who takes his/her time to listen to them and have a big interest to learn the meaning Of their lyrics, its something personal, one ofently decides to be a fan of something when theres a develop on the interest, listening, knowing... Idk, here its very hard to find rush fans, so cant talk about discussions. Also a true fan is the one that even when people tell them they arent good, "they turn their back, walk away, dont even pause to ask them why, turn around and say goodbye"

So far I'm not measuring up that well.

I would never pay ridiculous ticket prices to see them nor put myself in debt to do so.

I couldn't care less about the meaning of Neil's lyrics. But there have been many occasions when I have taken them them to heart because they apply to me personally or to something that has happened in my life.

Not one picture of Rush is on any of my walls.

I've never been to a Rush concert.

But I do love them and their music and love listening to it. Especially the bootlegs. And I love watching the concert dvds.

• Like 3

I would say Geddy is hardcore fan of baseball, fine art, and wine. Like my friend, he has a room dedicated to his interest - baseball greats.

In my town, the debate over who is or isn't a "true Rush fan" is nothing compared to the debate over who is or isn't a "true Packer fan". :bitchslap: :LOL: :LOL:

The debate always comes down to the battle of "I know more about ______ than you do." It's not cool. :tsk:

• Like 1

I thought this whole thing was a joke because of the comment on the website about Hemispheres. But if I have to take it seriously, I guess I would consider a true fan as someone who loves the band and the music. I don't think you have to love everything they put out.
  • Like 1