Alternate Setlists

Gilbertk

On the last tour there were something like 3 - 3 and a halfish setlists rotated through the tour. Being that this is a shorter tour does anyone think they'll bring back that concept this tour? They seemed to enjoy it and it made each show a bit more personal and exciting. Edited by Gilbertk

Because it's another anniversary tour and because of the smaller number of dates, I'm gonna say no, the setlist will stay the same like it did for Time Machine and R30.

Not to say I wouldn't enjoy alternation. That means more songs in the DVD/CD :madra: Just don't make Cut To The Chase one of those alternating songs I don't want to miss that one at my show!

Yeah, I think they'll do it again, since they know that fans like to go to multiple shows. On the last tour, someone figured out that is was like A,B,B1,B2, or some type of rotation. The lucky people got to hear MIddletown Dreams.
  • Like 1

If they do, I really hope they rotate standards of equal footing that the majority of people have already heard. I realize that every concert will be someone's 1st concert and there are standards they'd love to hear, but I think it's more just to let everyone hear the same rarities, and switch up the standards at the risk of a newbie not hearing a certain song that the vast majority of the audience has heard multiple times over.

This was my one complaint about the CA tour: Middletown Dreams is one of my favorite songs by them, yet they didn't play it at my show (Pittsburgh), and I wasn't able to make it to another show*. On the flipside, I *loved* that I got to hear Manhattan Project with the strings (so, I did get some stuff I was glad to get), but someone else who got MD might very well have not cared about that song and would have loved to be at my show.*

* They need to keep the alternation consistent. Since people often do plan out multiple shows, once the different setlists come to light, they might then coordinate what shows they're going to accordingly. Real big bummer to plan out getting certain songs only for the band to "mess up" the rotation. Regardless of the fact that they got to see Rush again, for some people the chance to hear the different songs might be what caused them to strain their time and budget to make another show, only to "waste" those efforts on getting a song they already heard that "shouldn't have been there," so to speak.

Just speaking as a fan of course in a perfect world; I'm sure plenty of people will counter with "they don't owe you anything."

Edited by zappafrank

Yeah, I think they'll do it again, since they know that fans like to go to multiple shows. On the last tour, someone figured out that is was like A,B,B1,B2, or some type of rotation. The lucky people got to hear MIddletown Dreams.

I was one of those lucky ones. Saw them on Atlanta and Nashville so I believe I got to hear all the songs they toured with!

Hey, I already made a thread like this, how is this one getting so much more detailed responses?

This is why I'm glad I'm as ardent a Phish fan as I am a Rush fan. The former never play the same setlist twice, ever. The latter repeat the setlist impeccably with minute variations. Each is equally emotionally cathartic, each would find it impossible to replicate what the other does live.