1st Rush concert

G Lee

Scored nosebleeds for Chicago off Ticketmaster this morning. I'm just very psyched that I will be going at all. Any tips for my first time out?
  • Like 2

Scored nosebleeds for Chicago off Ticketmaster this morning. I'm just very psyched that I will be going at all. Any tips for my first time out?

Just go and have a great time!!

Relax and soak it all in. I am glad you will be able to see them live. :D

• Like 2

Nice! You chose a helluva tour for a first time, should be a good one!

Tips? Some prefer to keep the setlist a surprise, but not me. I want to know it ASAP, then make those songs into a playlist so I can be as familiar with them as possible. Obviously we all know the staples, but there are a LOT of songs, so I usually need to study up on a few so I can fully appreciate what's going on on stage.

I also never leave during the show like some to. No such thing as a "grab a beer song". Especially considering I'm paying $160 for this show, which means each song missed is almost $10 wasted haha.

But just have fun. Same as other concerts, don't be a prick to the others around you. Don't spend the entire show recording with your phone above your head so the guy behind you can't see (I'm talking to you, prick form the Clockwork tour haha). Have fun and talk with fellow Rush fans!

Oh, and grab merch! Probably not a shirt, because Rush has a knack for designing the most legitimately hideous tour apparel I've ever seen in my life, but they do have some good stuff! Last tour had a killah gym bag I grabbed.

Edited by puffyshirt
  • Like 1

If you're going to take any pictures or video at all... word from the wise and been there done that! Don't waste your time you only miss the real show! And the quality that will turn up on YouTube will blow you away with some of the setups these peeps sneek in. Then you say to yourself damn I missed this and that. My favorite shows are the ones that I watch and sing every song to!

Mike

• Like 2

Be Here at TRF the day on Opening Night, You'll get the set list as its played. Which is always a fun night of discussions. Then Take the list and make a play list of the show. Listen to it on occasion until you go to the show. By then you'll know every song being played and you'll be set to enjoy the show at its fullest.

:codger:

• Like 2

What if I am the fat dude smoking the herb ;)?

Don't know about looking at setlists ahead of time as I kind of like to let concerts unroll fresh.

I just hope people around me like standing, bc I need that in my life.

And merch is a must! Still have stuff from each Tom Petty show I've attended and treasure them.

This show will be so epic.

there's tons of drugs and naked girls

You do know we're talking about a Rush concert? :P

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/dont-tell-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Be Here at TRF the day on Opening Night, You'll get the set list as its played. Which is always a fun night of discussions. Then Take the list and make a play list of the show. Listen to it on occasion until you go to the show. By then you'll know every song being played and you'll be set to enjoy the show at its fullest.

:codger:

You can find the setlist earlier that this, Clockwork Angels setlists were up on Rushisaband for a couple of weeks prior to our show. There have been lots of songs I have learned to love by listening to some of the previous live albums; Marathon, Presto, Stick it Out to name a few. Have a great time! :haz: :rush:

• Like 2

If you can last from Opening Night until your show without looking up the setlist, I say try to do it. I looked up the setlists right away for S&A and Time Machine, and while each show was amazing, I swore that next time I would not look the setlist up, and just be surprised at my first CA show. Totally worth it, and will be avoiding RIAB and this site between May 8 and June 8 so I can keep myself in the dark about the songs until I hear them for myself in Columbus!!!

Now, hopefully RUSH's Facebook page won't post a pic of the encore portion (or ANY portion) of the setlist like they did last tour! :tsk: Anyone remember that?

• Like 1

Don't know about looking at setlists ahead of time as I kind of like to let concerts unroll fresh.

I just hope people around me like standing, bc I need that in my life.

And merch is a must! Still have stuff from each Tom Petty show I've attended and treasure them.

If you're in the nosebleeds then you'll be sitting for the show. People that far away don't stand.

Make sure to arrange to get there early! There is nothing that can be more stressful on show day that trying to work a full day and cutting it close getting to the venue, fighting with traffic, etc. Take the afternoon off and get to the venue, or close by plenty early. Grab dinner close by, get inside early, grab a beer, take a nice walk around the venue to get a good venue of backstage, grab another beer and make some new friends. Be prepared to have an awesome time.
  • Like 5

Make sure to arrange to get there early! There is nothing that can be more stressful on show day that trying to work a full day and cutting it close getting to the venue, fighting with traffic, etc. Take the afternoon off and get to the venue, or close by plenty early. Grab dinner close by, get inside early, grab a beer, take a nice walk around the venue to get a good venue of backstage, grab another beer and make some new friends. Be prepared to have an awesome time.

This. Got to Buffalo/Vancouver shows a few hours early and talked to a lot of great folks, some roadies helping the band out, even one of the orchestra members from the CA Tour. Was a lotta fun

• Like 1

Head to the venue early. Don't wanna stress getting there.

Don't worry about the old guy sitting behind you complaining that you're standing.

Don't bother trying to look good unless you're trying to pick up a fat old dude

Use the rest room BEFORE going into the venue. The men's room is generally the only one that gets used during the show and you WILL miss 20-30 minutes waiting in line. I have seen guys get arrested for going into the ladies' room.

Have a GREAT time and take it all in.

• Like 1

All fantastic recommendations! Not sure who you are attending with, but my first show was with my wife who never lets me forget (but at least in a fun, joking way) that my eyes were misty (for joy of course!) when they first walked out on stage....
  • Like 1

If you were attending the Tulsa show I'd say pass it my way when my wife isn't looking.

Good suggestions in this thread, enjoy the epic show!

Maybe we will see you there! I am taking my little fan and was able to get nosebleed seats too! It's all we can afford but as long as we can go we don't care. We saw CA there - first concert for my dd.

Are you familiar with the area? I decided to purchase parking because it will just be my daughter and me and I prefer not to be walking around that area in the dark after the concert. There are some rough areas near there.

Plan to get there early. The city will be crazy that night. It is Friday, plus the first night of the Chicago Blues Festival will be going on in Grant Park that evening.

I'm thinking we might look at eating somewhere on Halstead. Lots of great Greek restaurants there. Have a great time! My dd says "Hi!".

ETA - We chose not to find out the setlist for the CA tour. I am old school that way . . . I like to be pleasantly surprised. We listened to a Rush album a day leading up to the concert so we plan to do that again. Have fun!

One more thing . . . if you buy merchandise there at the venue, hold onto it for dear life. If you buy a shirt, put it on. Years ago a friend of mine had his concert shirt that he bought (and was not wearing) snatched as we were leaving the venue.

Edited by LittleRed
  • Like 1

:goodone: :rush:

If you're going to take any pictures or video at all... word from the wise and been there done that! Don't waste your time you only miss the real show! And the quality that will turn up on YouTube will blow you away with some of the setups these peeps sneek in. Then you say to yourself damn I missed this and that. My favorite shows are the ones that I watch and sing every song to!

Mike

I can't second that enough. I see so many people wasting time filming. I prefer to watch the show. I'm one of the few that actually still brings binoculars when my seats are not up front.