Better Call Saul

workingcinderellaman

And that's the first time I didn't like Jimmy...

For burning Chuck with the insurance company?

Yeah... and the way he did it. Cold hearted; mocking everything he should be feeling.

The more I think about the events to this point, the more I sympathize with (though not entirely condone) Chuck's actions.

• Like 1

i watch it every week.i am glad we get to see how hector got messed up by gus before he blew gus up.and having a character as nuts as his brother seems to be is almost as good as having walter was.

Why?

He didn't do anything wrong. Chuck f***ed him over first. He's just getting back at him.

First off, that kind of needless revenge is never ok.

Second, Chuck has been right about Jimmy at every step. We know how Jimmy's story ends... if Chuck had been successful in holding him back, it wouldn't be such a tragedy. Maybe Jimmy would've found purpose as an advertiser. Maybe he would've worked his way into a legitimate career... One thing's sure, he wouldn't end up pushing broom at a Cinnabon.

Jimmy is a crook. Jimmy did steal from the cash drawer. Jimmy does cheat his way through everything he does,"Go land crabs!" And most of all, Jimmy did doctor Chuck's documents, publicly embarassing him, and jeopardizing his client's well being.

We like Jimmy. I get it... that's kind of the point to the character: No matter how much wrong he does, the world still loves him... and no matter how right Chuck is, the world still hates him... It's a built in injustice, masterfully painted by the show's creators. Through it all, we even lose sight of the fact that Chuck is SICK. He's been so pushed and pressured and twisted by the reality of his existence, that even when Chuck does cross a line, I don't know that we can hold him responsible. He is mentally unfit, surrounded by enablers (not the least of whom have been Jimmy), and he's wielding his legal expertise like a chimp with a machine gun; no idea how much of a danger he is in his state.

To this point, understanding the characters' motivations, I've been able to sympathize with both sides. Jimmy is wrong to do what he does, but he has generally meant well. Not so much now. He's crossed the important line between mischievous scheming and malicious attacking... More tragic than his final circumstances, we are watching the loss of his benevolence. The death of Jimmy McGill.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

Why?

He didn't do anything wrong. Chuck f***ed him over first. He's just getting back at him.

Second, Chuck has been right about Jimmy at every step. We know how Jimmy's story ends... if Chuck had been successful in holding him back, it wouldn't be such a tragedy. Maybe Jimmy would've found purpose as an advertiser. Maybe he would've worked his way into a legitimate career... One thing's sure, he wouldn't end up pushing broom at a Cinnabon.

Jimmy is a crook. Jimmy did steal from the cash drawer. Jimmy does cheat his way through everything he does,"Go land crabs!" And most of all, Jimmy did doctor Chuck's documents, publicly embarassing him, and jeopardizing his client's well being.

We like Jimmy. I get it... that's kind of the point to the character: No matter how much wrong he does, the world still loves him... and no matter how right Chuck is, the world still hates him... It's a built in injustice, masterfully painted by the show's creators. Through it all, we even lose sight of the fact that Chuck is SICK. He's been so pushed and pressured and twisted by the reality of his existence, that even when Chuck does cross a line, I don't know that we can hold him responsible. He is mentally unfit, surrounded by enablers (not the least of whom have been Jimmy), and he's wielding his legal expertise like a chimp with a machine gun; no idea how much of a danger he is in his state.

To this point, understanding the characters' motivations, I've been able to sympathize with both sides. Jimmy is wrong to do what he does, but he has generally meant well. Not so much now. He's crossed the important line between mischievous scheming and malicious attacking... More tragic than his final circumstances, we are watching the loss of his benevolence. The death of Jimmy McGill.

Well written and spot on.

Why?

my lord man,it is a tv show.

• Like 1

Why?

my lord man,it is a tv show.

Art without passion is meaningless spectacle. If you don't want to talk about it, don't talk about it. But for many, the fun lies in the analysis, the thoughtfulness, the debate and the passion surrounding the art.

And that isn't exclusive to BCS.

• Like 2

Jimmy is turning into a scumbag.

Yep.

We knew before the show started that he turns into one though.

I know. But last night's show was still an emotional punch. A testament to how great a show it is.

Based on some interviews I don't see this as an opener for Season 4

http://i.4cdn.org/tv/1498035162619.jpg

???

Chuck surviving the house fire and making a run for it in the space blanket. In interviews he's been pretty much confirmed dead.

I believe that Chuck's electromagnetic sensitivity is inexorably connected to his betrayal of Jimmy.

We can deduce that his problem began shortly after Jimmy passed the bar. When Chuck first sends Hamlin down to the copy room to break the bad news to Jimmy. It's an interesting notion to think that it all began with Chuck being unable to stand going into the room full of copiers.

He lied to Jimmy to inhibit his career. And Chuck's subconscious, being devoted to honesty and actually loving his brother on some level, has to punish him for it.

We see Chuck's condition beginning to improve toward the end of season one, when he and Jimmy are working well together on the Sandpiper case; at one point as they are working together, both lawyers with a relaxed mutual respect, Chuck even absentmindedly walks outside and uses Jimmy's key fob and retrieves some documents with no ill effects.

When the Sandpiper case becomes too daunting, and HHM is forced to get involved, Chuck acts dishonestly again to prevent Jimmy's hiring at the firm. He then begins a relapse into his EM disorder.

In season two, we see Chuck opposing Jimmy more overtly, publicly questioning him in meetings, going out of his way to trip him up... and as he does this, the condition takes its toll. We see Chuck devolve into a quivering mass of foil at night as the symptoms overcome him, attributed mostly to "going at it too hard" in the office.

His sensitivity comes to a head after investigating Jimmy's forgery, he ironically collapses from the condition in a copy room- the very sort of place that he wouldn't go at the start of the whole situation.

Now he's clandestinely recorded Jimmy, and is very dishonestly scheming to plot his revenge. We see him hardly able to touch the tape recorder (something with a relatively small electrical footprint sets him off so badly because it a direct symbol of his betrayal), he even goes so far to keep it in an insulated faraday drawer, avoiding the pain it brings him.

An interesting throwaway line from Ernesto at the end of the episode "I miss the copy room." ... the one place Chuck won't go.

As he continues his scheming descent into corruption, obsessing over the white whale his brother represents; I think we're going to see Chuck's condition rapidly devolve. He will only heal when he accepts Jimmy, and that doesn't look likely.

I kept thinking back to what you wrote here throughout the rest of the season and it really holds up given the finale. That final brutal thrust of the knife led to his undoing

Based on some interviews I don't see this as an opener for Season 4

http://i.4cdn.org/tv/1498035162619.jpg

???

Chuck surviving the house fire and making a run for it in the space blanket. In interviews he's been pretty much confirmed dead.

It makes sense. It would be the final push in Jimmy's transition to Saul.

I believe that Chuck's electromagnetic sensitivity is inexorably connected to his betrayal of Jimmy.

We can deduce that his problem began shortly after Jimmy passed the bar. When Chuck first sends Hamlin down to the copy room to break the bad news to Jimmy. It's an interesting notion to think that it all began with Chuck being unable to stand going into the room full of copiers.

He lied to Jimmy to inhibit his career. And Chuck's subconscious, being devoted to honesty and actually loving his brother on some level, has to punish him for it.

We see Chuck's condition beginning to improve toward the end of season one, when he and Jimmy are working well together on the Sandpiper case; at one point as they are working together, both lawyers with a relaxed mutual respect, Chuck even absentmindedly walks outside and uses Jimmy's key fob and retrieves some documents with no ill effects.

When the Sandpiper case becomes too daunting, and HHM is forced to get involved, Chuck acts dishonestly again to prevent Jimmy's hiring at the firm. He then begins a relapse into his EM disorder.

In season two, we see Chuck opposing Jimmy more overtly, publicly questioning him in meetings, going out of his way to trip him up... and as he does this, the condition takes its toll. We see Chuck devolve into a quivering mass of foil at night as the symptoms overcome him, attributed mostly to "going at it too hard" in the office.

His sensitivity comes to a head after investigating Jimmy's forgery, he ironically collapses from the condition in a copy room- the very sort of place that he wouldn't go at the start of the whole situation.

Now he's clandestinely recorded Jimmy, and is very dishonestly scheming to plot his revenge. We see him hardly able to touch the tape recorder (something with a relatively small electrical footprint sets him off so badly because it a direct symbol of his betrayal), he even goes so far to keep it in an insulated faraday drawer, avoiding the pain it brings him.

An interesting throwaway line from Ernesto at the end of the episode "I miss the copy room." ... the one place Chuck won't go.

As he continues his scheming descent into corruption, obsessing over the white whale his brother represents; I think we're going to see Chuck's condition rapidly devolve. He will only heal when he accepts Jimmy, and that doesn't look likely.

I kept thinking back to what you wrote here throughout the rest of the season and it really holds up given the finale. That final brutal thrust of the knife led to his undoing

Yeah I remembered this breakdown by KJ and he seems to have hit the nail on the head.

so i gues season 4 is gonna be how jimmy,gus and mike will build the business that mr white kills gus and mike to take it over eventually.

I think we are getting very close to overlapping the BB timeline. Gus is trying to buy the laundry business as a place to build a super lab which is something he is just trying to get up and running with Gale in the BB arc in season 3 I think?

BB ran for 5 seasons. This is BCS 4th season. I wonder if the end is in sight?

Edited by thesweetscience

so i gues season 4 is gonna be how jimmy,gus and mike will build the business that mr white kills gus and mike to take it over eventually.

I think we are getting very close to overlapping the BB timeline. Gus is trying to buy the laundry business as a place to build a super lab which is something he is just trying to get up and running with Gale in the BB arc in season 3 I think?

BCS is currently in 2003. BB started in 2008 so we may have to see some significant time jumps

i am sure vince gil

lian has most of it planned out.he will probably tweek it to match the way the series evolves,just like breaking bad,i did not think season one of BCS was that good,but he picked it up here the last two seasons.probably amc,s 2nd best ever series so far.