Better Call Saul

workingcinderellaman

Slippin Jimmy is a great character, but I'm totally on Team Chuck

I'm torn, because as much as I sympathize with Jimmy... Chuck is right.

That's the brilliance of the show. Same with Breaking Bad. They made Hank seem like such a douche that it was easy to pull for Walt, who just happened to be a meth kingpin who killed people.

I believe that Chuck's electromagnetic sensitivity is inexorably connected to his betrayal of Jimmy.

We can deduce that his problem began shortly after Jimmy passed the bar. When Chuck first sends Hamlin down to the copy room to break the bad news to Jimmy. It's an interesting notion to think that it all began with Chuck being unable to stand going into the room full of copiers.

He lied to Jimmy to inhibit his career. And Chuck's subconscious, being devoted to honesty and actually loving his brother on some level, has to punish him for it.

We see Chuck's condition beginning to improve toward the end of season one, when he and Jimmy are working well together on the Sandpiper case; at one point as they are working together, both lawyers with a relaxed mutual respect, Chuck even absentmindedly walks outside and uses Jimmy's key fob and retrieves some documents with no ill effects.

When the Sandpiper case becomes too daunting, and HHM is forced to get involved, Chuck acts dishonestly again to prevent Jimmy's hiring at the firm. He then begins a relapse into his EM disorder.

In season two, we see Chuck opposing Jimmy more overtly, publicly questioning him in meetings, going out of his way to trip him up... and as he does this, the condition takes its toll. We see Chuck devolve into a quivering mass of foil at night as the symptoms overcome him, attributed mostly to "going at it too hard" in the office.

His sensitivity comes to a head after investigating Jimmy's forgery, he ironically collapses from the condition in a copy room- the very sort of place that he wouldn't go at the start of the whole situation.

Now he's clandestinely recorded Jimmy, and is very dishonestly scheming to plot his revenge. We see him hardly able to touch the tape recorder (something with a relatively small electrical footprint sets him off so badly because it a direct symbol of his betrayal), he even goes so far to keep it in an insulated faraday drawer, avoiding the pain it brings him.

An interesting throwaway line from Ernesto at the end of the episode "I miss the copy room." ... the one place Chuck won't go.

As he continues his scheming descent into corruption, obsessing over the white whale his brother represents; I think we're going to see Chuck's condition rapidly devolve. He will only heal when he accepts Jimmy, and that doesn't look likely.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 3

I believe that Chuck's electromagnetic sensitivity is inexorably connected to his betrayal of Jimmy.

We can deduce that his problem began shortly after Jimmy passed the bar. When Chuck first sends Hamlin down to the copy room to break the bad news to Jimmy. It's an interesting notion to think that it all began with Chuck being unable to stand going into the room full of copiers.

He lied to Jimmy to inhibit his career. And Chuck's subconscious, being devoted to honesty and actually loving his brother on some level, has to punish him for it.

We see Chuck's condition beginning to improve toward the end of season one, when he and Jimmy are working well together on the Sandpiper case; at one point as they are working together, both lawyers with a relaxed mutual respect, Chuck even absentmindedly walks outside and uses Jimmy's key fob and retrieves some documents with no ill effects.

When the Sandpiper case becomes too daunting, and HHM is forced to get involved, Chuck acts dishonestly again to prevent Jimmy's hiring at the firm. He then begins a relapse into his EM disorder.

In season two, we see Chuck opposing Jimmy more overtly, publicly questioning him in meetings, going out of his way to trip him up... and as he does this, the condition takes its toll. We see Chuck devolve into a quivering mass of foil at night as the symptoms overcome him, attributed mostly to "going at it too hard" in the office.

His sensitivity comes to a head after investigating Jimmy's forgery, he ironically collapses from the condition in a copy room- the very sort of place that he wouldn't go at the start of the whole situation.

Now he's clandestinely recorded Jimmy, and is very dishonestly scheming to plot his revenge. We see him hardly able to touch the tape recorder (something with a relatively small electrical footprint sets him off so badly because it a direct symbol of his betrayal), he even goes so far to keep it in an insulated faraday drawer, avoiding the pain it brings him.

An interesting throwaway line from Ernesto at the end of the episode "I miss the copy room." ... the one place Chuck won't go.

As he continues his scheming descent into corruption, obsessing over the white whale his brother represents; I think we're going to see Chuck's condition rapidly devolve. He will only heal when he accepts Jimmy, and that doesn't look likely.

Excellent write up!
  • Like 1

Wow, what a write up.

And all I was gonna do is come here to say that I really liked the season premier :LOL:

Wow, what a write up.

And all I was gonna do is come here to say that I really liked the season premier :LOL:

Fantastic, I agree!!!

Howard will kick Chuck out of H&H for being mentally incompetent.

That look Howard gave him was like u are off your rocker....

That will push Chuck over the edge and may make an unusually Jimmy/Kim and Chuck alliance vs. Howard

The Mike and the transmitter story was a little long in the tooth....did not need 30 minutes of Mike playing mechanic.

WE GET IT.................He tore apart the car

That will push Chuck over the edge and may make an unusually Jimmy/Kim and Chuck alliance vs. Howard

The Mike and the transmitter story was a little long in the tooth....did not need 30 minutes of Mike playing mechanic.

You may have missed the point of Mike doing that. It was to show how genius it was that someone hid a tracking device in the gas cap of the car. He had to tear the car apart in order to figure it out.

You may have missed the point of Mike doing that. It was to show how genius it was that someone hid a tracking device in the gas cap of the car. He had to tear the car apart in order to figure it out.

Also it was in concert with the, at times, DELIBERATE pace of Breaking Bad. I like that they take their time and sometimes labor on the nuances to make a point in a scene. Not too many shows do this.

• Like 3

Who is Saul and why had we better call him?

A lawyer.

You've been wronged or accused of a crime.

Oh I hate legal/court room dramas.

It's not a full on drama. There are some comedic things involving the main character.

You would need to watch Breaking Bad before this though. This is a prequel to that. This show tells the origin story of slime ball criminal lawyer Saul Goodman before the events that occurred on Breaking Bad.

Edited by J2112YYZ

A lawyer.

It's not a full on drama. There are some comedic things involving the main character.

You would need to watch Breaking Bad before this though. This is a prequel to that. This show tells the origin story of slime ball criminal lawyer Saul Goodman before the events that occurred on Breaking Bad.

That's a lot of TV watching I haven't seen either!

You would need to watch Breaking Bad before this though.

I don't agree. I know a few people that are loving Saul without ever having seen Breaking Bad.

But I think it will make Breaking Bad more interesting for them if when they get there...

• Like 1

You would need to watch Breaking Bad before this though.

I don't agree. I know a few people that are loving Saul without ever having seen Breaking Bad.

But I think it will make Breaking Bad more interesting for them if when they get there...

I'm the opposite. Would have never even given Saul a second thought if it weren't for Breaking Bad. Also, Saul doesn't show up until halfway through the second season. So watching BB because they like Saul might not work for some.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Watching Saul first makes the future Gene flash forward scenes completely senseless. These scenes have zero meaning or context without Breaking Bad.

You really don't need the context to understand that this person, Jimmy McGill, ends up in a wildly depressing future, under and assumed identity. The events of Breaking Bad are unimportant as long as you understand that something threw this guy's life into critical disarray.

I really don't think you need to watch Breaking Bad to enjoy Better Call Saul. It's a superior show and it stands on its own. In fact, I honestly believe I'd have enjoyed Breaking Bad more, if I'd watched Saul first.

• Like 2

It's Season 3 and he is not even Saul

His name is still Jimmy, show is crawling at a snails pace to get to Saul.

No need to watch treeduck it won't be remembered , it';s basically Joanie Loves Chachi

No need to watch treeduck it won't be remembered , it';s basically Joanie Loves Chachi

Why does he change his name to Saul?

We are not sure.

But he goes from being a legit Lawyer to a Lawyer who represents criminals, so that might have something to do with it.

He was 1 of the hilarious parts of Breaking Bad as Saul, but this show which In was so looking forward to 3 years ago, is just not working

We are not sure.

But he goes from being a legit Lawyer to a Lawyer who represents criminals, so that might have something to do with it.

He was 1 of the hilarious parts of Breaking Bad as Saul, but this show which In was so looking forward to 3 years ago, is just not working

What about the show isn't working for you? Just him not being Saul Goodman yet?

Edited by J2112YYZ

Better Call Saul is a superior show to Breaking Bad. It's conservative pace and attention to detail are to thank for that.

Breaking Bad was often too flamboyant and bombastic. BCS reels that in and gives you something much more human, all while delivering the same complete, fulfilling sense of characterization.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

A lawyer.

And there is nothing court room about this drama.