Better Call Saul

workingcinderellaman

I thought this most recent episode was the best. Mike's speech to the guy about how to be a criminal, but especially Jimmy and Chuck's confrontation at the end, were brilliant.
  • Like 2

I think I appreciate the character of Jimmy/Saul even more than I appreciated Walter White.

Appreciate is a strange word to use. I find nothing to "appreciate" the character of Walter White. I appreciate Bryan Cranston's performance, but not the character. He's a horrible human being.

Jimmy/Saul is a different case. He seems to struggle with his decisions in ways Walter White never did.

I appreciate that Walter was a good person that got turned by a fatal illness and a cut throat culture that did not adequately compensate nor insure teachers. How different it is where I live!!

What is compelling about Walter White is how he gradually turned and usually had a significant reason for each evil act.

.edit

I simply do no understand this position when it comes to rationalizing that Walter White was some what justified in doing what he did. Push away any responsibility on Walter White's part! He destroyed his family and people's lives for a justified reason!

Walter is a compelling character since he has a justification for most of his evil deeds. For example, one of the worst things he did, poisoning Andrea's son was necessary because he needed Jesse back on his side to help kill Gus, who was going to kill Walt and his family. If Jesse doesn't see Gus as a threat, Walt is either dead or in Jail, and any $ at that time for his kids and wife would have been confiscated.

Not a good guy like he was before his terminal illness, but compelling.

edit...

He has justification in his circumstance. The viewers may rightly choose to not see it as justified

Edited by Gabrielgil513

I think I appreciate the character of Jimmy/Saul even more than I appreciated Walter White.

Appreciate is a strange word to use. I find nothing to "appreciate" the character of Walter White. I appreciate Bryan Cranston's performance, but not the character. He's a horrible human being.

Jimmy/Saul is a different case. He seems to struggle with his decisions in ways Walter White never did.

I appreciate that Walter was a good person that got turned by a fatal illness and a cut throat culture that did not adequately compensate nor insure teachers. How different it is where I live!!

What is compelling about Walter White is how he gradually turned and usually had a significant reason for each evil act.

.edit

I simply do no understand this position when it comes to rationalizing that Walter White was some what justified in doing what he did. Push away any responsibility on Walter White's part! He destroyed his family and people's lives for a justified reason!

Walter is a compelling character since he has a justification for most of his evil deeds. For example, one of the worst things he did, poisoning Andrea's son was necessary because he needed Jesse back on his side to help kill Gus, who was going to kill Walt and his family. If Jesse doesn't see Gus as a threat, Walt is either dead or in Jail, and any $ at that time for his kids and wife would have been confiscated.

Not a good guy like he was before his terminal illness, but compelling.

edit...

He has justification in his circumstance. The viewers may rightly choose to not see it as justified

No right. No wrong. Situation ethics. Too bad about Andrea's son.

certainly not ethical, but he had his justification. Made him compelling. So many other stories where characters were evil cuz they just were. Wrong isn't bad, its applauded in the real world every day.

If he doesn't poison Andrea's son (from which the kid recovered on his own) he, and potentially his family, are killed by Gus.

Given the choice between temporarily hospitalizing an innocent child, and facing the possibility of four deaths including your own, I can't say he made an evil decision.

I don't even consider that among the most immoral things Walt did. Killing Gale takes the cake in that regard, and technically, that was Jesse.

So when Jesse ultimately figures things out and turns on Walt, I see him as the selfish bitch.

I cited Andea's son since it was an act against a defenseless child. Both Jesse and Walt deserve credit for killing Gale, but that was also to delay Gus from killing them. He always had self preservation reasons.

White's pursuit began nobly enough, but it quickly became about pride and ego. I can understand why he did what he did, but he went down his own rabbit hole. He had plenty of chances to end it all and ultimately accomplish his original goal.
  • Like 2

Last show tonight- Is THIS the night he becomes Saul Goodman for real???

I think so...

I guess it's good that he isn't doing the right thing anymore. It's a show about how he turns into Saul, not how he saves the day as a champion of the law. It's like how Hank would never have caught Walter. It's a show about Walter's downfall, not Hank's heroism.

He waits until he has the dream job in his grasp, then he turns?

I think he was just sick of trying to impress people. After he had his falling out with Chuck, he no longer cares about impressing him and doing the right thing. He's now accepting what Chuck and everyone else thinks of him and is turning towards the dark side.

• Like 1

I think he was just sick of trying to impress people. After he had his falling out with Chuck, he no longer cares about impressing him and doing the right thing. He's now accepting what Chuck and everyone else thinks of him and is turning towards the dark side.

Yeah, that's it...but he had plenty of chance to change teams before that, then his dream is right there and then he turns. Producer toying with us. Yes, it's probably a delayed reaction to Chuck thrashing him last week.

Yeah, that's it...but he had plenty of chance to change teams before that, then his dream is right there and then he turns. Producer toying with us. Yes, it's probably a delayed reaction to Chuck thrashing him last week.

that wasn't his dream, though. his dream was impress his brother and win his brother's respect. as soon as he saw that would never happen no matter what he did he was out of the straight life.

BRILLIANT.

• Like 1

People are saying last night's Season 1 finale was the worst of the season.

I can see the reasons.

Jimmy's breakdown in Bingo was brutal to watch, I'm sure someone wanted to punch him.

The storyline with Marco, was meaningless, we just had a flashback 5 episodes ago.

The only thing that moved the storyline forward was HHM taking Jimmy's case. Otherwise it was all filler.

Again, still the best writing and probably the best show on TV...just picking it to pieces.

The Marco storyline was not meaningless. Reconnecting with Marco allowed Jimmy to reconnect with a way of life where he was appreciated. Reconnect with the person his betraying brother will never trust or warm up to. Marco helped Jimmy move in the direction of becoming Saul.

I thought it was a very good episode.

• Like 3

The Marco storyline was not meaningless. Reconnecting with Marco allowed Jimmy to reconnect with a way of life where he was appreciated. Reconnect with the person his betraying brother will never trust or warm up to. Marco helped Jimmy move in the direction of becoming Saul.

I thought the Marco storyline was forced. Marco has a cough- Jimmy says-'Are u okay?'

Next scene Marco is dead.

Who dies of a cough? Less Marco more Mike

I thought the Marco storyline was forced. Marco has a cough- Jimmy says-'Are u okay?'

Next scene Marco is dead.

Who dies of a cough? Less Marco more Mike

He didn't die of a cough. An overweight/obese man who is over-excited and has his adrenaline running is prime for a heart attack. No need ot suspend disbelief for plot purposes.

Also, Mike has no connection to Slipping Jimmy or desire to have Slipping Jimmy come back. Marco does.

Marco was used perfectly for plot purposes.

• Like 2