What would you do? (Part II)

Lost In Xanadu

My daughter signed up for a Food course as an elective for the 2nd semester of her Freshman year. She has a gluten allergy and was one of the things on the informational survey handed out by the teacher yesterday (first day of class)

My daughter talked to her about trying to make some of the dishes gluten free for her, and I also said we would pay for any additional supplies needed seeing this isn't a standard part of the course. The teacher told my daughter today that she already had a lesson plan in place, and when it came to sample the foods she is allergic to, she could just do dishes.

I'm not one to make a big deal about this kinds of thing, but that last part pissed me off a bit. "do dishes??"

• Like 2

My daughter signed up for a Food course as an elective for the 2nd semester of her Freshman year. She has a gluten allergy and was one of the things on the informational survey handed out by the teacher yesterday (first day of class)

My daughter talked to her about trying to make some of the dishes gluten free for her, and I also said we would pay for any additional supplies needed seeing this isn't a standard part of the course. The teacher told my daughter today that she already had a lesson plan in place, and when it came to sample the foods she is allergic to, she could just do dishes.

I'm not one to make a big deal about this kinds of thing, but that last part pissed me off a bit. "do dishes??"

Part II already? :LOL: :haz:

The teacher is an idiot,

I would call her out on it.

• Like 1

In this day and age of food allergies & sensitivities you would think that the schools curriculum would account for certain modifications to individuals ...

She's in HS, so the days of parental intervention may be out - as in, would she mind if you stepped in and said something to the teacher or even go higher up?

with a gluten allergy, she really can't even be a part of the cooking/preparing process - let alone eating the creation! dishes even can play a part in this - she's not LEARNING anything except how to do dishes if the teacher isn't willing to meet her half way...

I mean, what if it was a peanut allergy? would the teacher say to the student - 'oh well, you can't taste the pea nutty food but you can smell it...' there isn't much difference there, 'eh?

I dunno man, it's a tough call. I say she drops the class all together, and find another elective. if she's serious about gluten free food cooking/preparation, perhaps take a course outside of the school that can accommodate her allergy...

I'm in a (mostly) vegan gluten free household and we do a lot of gluten free meals. modifications are EASY, not outrageous cost-wise and not only taste WONDERFUL but IMHO (finbar) much better for us as a whole...

Edited by ladirushfan80
  • Like 2

In this day and age of food allergies & sensitivities you would think that the schools curriculum would account for certain modifications to individuals ...

She's in HS, so the days of parental intervention may be out - as in, would she mind if you stepped in and said something to the teacher or even go higher up?

with a gluten allergy, she really can't even be a part of the cooking/preparing process - let alone eating the creation! dishes even can play a part in this - she's not LEARNING anything except how to do dishes if the teacher isn't willing to meet her half way...

I mean, what if it was a peanut allergy? would the teacher say to the student - 'oh well, you can't taste the pea nutty food but you can smell it...' there isn't much difference there, 'eh?

I dunno man, it's a tough call. I say she drops the class all together, and find another elective. if she's serious about gluten free food cooking/preparation, perhaps take a course outside of the school that can accommodate her allergy...

I'm in a (mostly) vegan gluten free household and we do a lot of gluten free meals. modifications are EASY, not outrageous cost-wise and not only taste WONDERFUL but IMHO (finbar) much better for us as a whole...

I agree,

Maybe find another elective. But at the same time the teacher sounds like a total a**hole!! I would go above her and demand an apology.

• Like 1

I agree,

Maybe find another elective. But at the same time the teacher sounds like a total a**hole!! I would go above her and demand an apology.

That's what I said too... she is going to take an art class. My wife and I are learning to cook again, and my daughter has been helping too. She will likely get a better education at home anyway. We cook nearly every day. (ribs tonight!)

• Like 2

I agree,

That's what I said too... she is going to take an art class. My wife and I are learning to cook again, and my daughter has been helping too. She will likely get a better education at home anyway. We cook nearly every day. (ribs tonight!)

Good for her,

But she was treated with disrespect. Very sad. My old PE teacher Mr. Mathews would have takin this teacher to the wood shed. :codger: :LOL: He was a no nonsense kind of guy. Tough love was his motto. :D

Good luck with your daughter's career!

• Like 3