Ever meet anyone claiming to be a big rush fan, when really - - -

nicky6

There are no rules when it comes to the music you like...even in my "they can do no wrong" phase in my teenage years I hated slavish fanboyism.

There's nothing wrong with liking a song or two and not having a clue about the rest of their catalogue.

• Like 2

I was a casual fan myself for a long time. Only in recent years did I finally start digging deeper into their catalog and once I did, I really hated myself for lost time. Of course, the difference here is that I never tried to pretend I was a bigger fan than I was. I don't get why people feel the need to do that.
  • Like 1

There are also fans who don't pay attention to song titles. So, they may be fans but don't know what song you're talking about unless they hear it. That was the case ten years ago with a friend of mine that I helped get more into Rush. All he knew were the radio hits and had heard a few albums but nothing more. I burned him Rush's whole discography and he likes them a lot but to this day if I bring up specific song titles in a Rush conversation, he still sometimes doesn't know what songs i'm talking about right away. As soon as the song is played though he knows what it is.

I am actually HORRIBLE at song titles myself, always have been. I can sing all of the lyrics to a song and be like "What was the name of that song again?"

There are also fans who don't pay attention to song titles. So, they may be fans but don't know what song you're talking about unless they hear it. That was the case ten years ago with a friend of mine that I helped get more into Rush. All he knew were the radio hits and had heard a few albums but nothing more. I burned him Rush's whole discography and he likes them a lot but to this day if I bring up specific song titles in a Rush conversation, he still sometimes doesn't know what songs i'm talking about right away. As soon as the song is played though he knows what it is.

I am actually HORRIBLE at song titles myself, always have been. I can sing all of the lyrics to a song and be like "What was the name of that song again?"

I'm horrible with both titles and lyrics.

Riffs and melodies I can recall, though.

• Like 1

I was a casual fan myself for a long time. Only in recent years did I finally start digging deeper into their catalog and once I did, I really hated myself for lost time. Of course, the difference here is that I never tried to pretend I was a bigger fan than I was. I don't get why people feel the need to do that.

Oh, I could have written your post myself.

• Like 1

I once met two different Rush fans at the bookstore in about 5 minutes. I was wearing a Rush shirt and they both noticed it. The first one said his favorite album was Roll the Bones, I found it odd to say the least. The next one said his favorite album was "Spirit of the Radio" :facepalm:
  • Like 5

I once met two different Rush fans at the bookstore in about 5 minutes. I was wearing a Rush shirt and they both noticed it. The first one said his favorite album was Roll the Bones, I found it odd to say the least. The next one said his favorite album was "Spirit of the Radio" :facepalm:

I like that second guy. You should've gotten his number. :yes:

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_Radio:_Greatest_Hits_1974%E2%80%931987

• Like 1

There are also fans who don't pay attention to song titles.

Right now, at this very moment, some Who fan somewhere is talking about the first song on the Who's Next album, and he's calling it "Teenage Wasteland"....... :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Right now, at this very moment, some Who fan somewhere is talking about the first song on the Who's Next album, and he's calling it "Teenage Wasteland"....... :laughing guy:

I used to call it that too back when the album first came out. Back when I was actually twenty years old. :unsure:

Where do the words Baba O'Reilly appear in the song? They might for all I know. I was always bad at deciphering lyrics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_Radio:_Greatest_Hits_1974%E2%80%931987

Even if he was referring to that, having a Greatest Hits compilation be your favorite album is pretty lame, and he still messed up the name :LOL: Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

I used to call it that too back when the album first came out. Back when I was actually twenty years old. :unsure:

Where do the words Baba O'Reilly appear in the song? They might for all I know. I was always bad at deciphering lyrics.

"Baba O'Riley" is nowhere in the lyrics. The song title is a combination of two names: Pete Townshend's spiritual guru, Meher Baba, and composer Terry Riley, whose musical style Townshend liked. But 99% of Who fans don't know this, I'm guessing. Like most good rock & roll fans, they take a song, make it their own (in their minds) and call it whatever they want.

Millions of Who fans instantly connected with the phrases "teenage wasteland" and "they're all WASTED!!" Imagine that..... :laughing guy:

• Like 2

I once met a guy with a 2112 shirt. he said he enjoyed Rush. i started bringing up songs and albums......all i got was yea that's great. I got suspicious so i said

Dazed and confused is one of Rush's Best right?

guy: yea totally.

GOODBYE!!!!!!!!

lol

Mick

I once met a guy with a 2112 shirt. he said he enjoyed Rush. i started bringing up songs and albums......all i got was yea that's great. I got suspicious so i said

GOODBYE!!!!!!!!

lol

Mick

GOODBYE!!!!!!!!

lol

Mick

:LOL:

It's probably just a case of the person being a big fan of the hits they know from the band. Don't let it upset you since most of those people are the kind of fans that make up the bulk of the audience at the shows. At least they know who the band is. Use it as an opportunity to try and turn them in to more music from Rush instead getting all wound up about it.

This would be the angle I would take on this matter. I would take it as an opportunity to enlighten anyone who has an interest in this band of ours. While I was recovering from foot surgery I went in for therapy and in the parking lot was a suv with a similar Starman logo as mine. I almost went nuts trying find out, looking out for who else could possibly be a RUSH fan. Just an easy way to drum up a conversation about a great band. I'd rather do that than call out a person on their possible stupidity of being unknowledgeable about an album or anything else about the band.

Edited by g under p
  • Like 2

I remember years ago I used to think that the song was called "Teenage Wasteland" to. When I found out what the song was really called it took me a little bit to get used to it. In this songs case I can see why people would think it was called that though.

There are a lot of people who put an album on and just never look at the song titles. All they know is they like the album and tracks 1, 3, 5 and 8 are their favorites.

• Like 1

I don't understand getting annoyed by these kinds of things. I really don't care how much or how little other people are into things I like. And for that matter how much of a "true fan" I am or not? I'd probably just laugh and walk away if someone tried to have that conversation with me.
  • Like 1

Well there's the weekend fan, people who kind of listen to music on the weekends and kind of enjoy going to concerts now and then. Then there's the 24 hour a day fan, and that's a lot of us. We buy all the swag, go to as many concerts as we can and just enjoy everything about the band.

I think I'm just like this with music in general (the 24 hour a day/very obsessed fan). I can't imagine not being actively engaged with the music I listen to, like, all the time. But some folks will just turn the radio on and listen to whatever. Takes all sorts, I guess. :)

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 2

My wife calls me a fanatical fan,however when i start rattling off what type of strings Alex uses she calls me a bore.

If someone says 'yeah , i know Rush'but only know the hits then i see it a great chance to let them listen to the rest of their catalogue then my wife says i am even more of a bore.

I know two people that are like that... my parents...

They call them self for Rush fans, and still they complain when I play their music in the house, and I have NEVER heard them put on Rush music on their own...

You're lucky that they even consider themselves fans.

• Like 1