Is this RUSH's version of a "farewell" tour?

ThinkingBig

You guys:

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003434369/images_answer_6_xlarge.jpeg

Me:

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt31vof9m41ql8i93o3_r1_250.gif

And you know what happens next so let's not even go there.

My point, I just would like to see them go out with class, with style. And not some tired trying to squeeze every last penny out of the fans. I don't mind this tour being a retrospective, but do it with the RUSH touch, similar to R30 without the covers. Or maybe one surprise cover, something we've never heard them play. A new version of Tom Sawyer, that harder version of Fly By Night Alex was musing about. Do something interesting and cool. Do something Rush.

The last two tours blew me away. Both different and awesome in their own way. Just top that, take a bow and let us remember you as the band that never let us down.

Speaking squeezing every penny out of the fans, the first concert I saw way back in 1982 was The Who… on their farewell tour…. Guess who is also touring this summer….

Just do it the way Rush would do it, not the way VanHalen, the Scorpions, the Who….and, oh god, Kiss have been doing it….

• Like 1

i doubt this is their last tour. i have a feeling they will do smaller tours in the future. as long as they can still tour im happy.
  • Like 2

Having read Neil's most recent book, I do believe this is it, and I sense Alex and Ged had to twist his arm pretty hard to committ to tour this year. They may play select shows here and there (Toronto, LA, NYC) in the coming years but I doubt we see a long tour with full stage production after this one.

In a way, I'm ok with that, they'll still be going out while in great form, not what they were in their 20's or 30's but still capable of awesome musicianship. I just turned 55, can't imagine doing what they do at 60 plus...

I've seen too many of my favorite bands from the 70's (Stones, Who, Jethro Tull, etc) carry on well past their prime and it's sad really.

• Like 6

As a point of order, the only time Van Halen toured without new material was on the 2007-08 tour. Likewise, I think the Scorpions have always toured behind new material.

Can't really lump these bands in with the perpetual-greatest-hits-tour bands such as The Who and Kiss.

Edited by Ron2112

I'm treating it as if it might be the last one... I hate to think it, but there are so many things that could happen to prevent one of them from continuing. Since I live overseas, I have to make my concerts count and I will not miss this chance! :)

That's a whole other story. Anything can happen!

• Like 1

I think that this will be the last huge tour for them. We could potentially see a few more smaller tours after this. I personally believe we could see a 2016 Europe only tour or other things like that.

Hell, I could see them doing a residency in Toronto.

Edited by fraroc

Definitely their last tour. Geddy recently said that touring has gotten difficult and that Neil is actually in pain from the time they start rehearsals until the end of the tour. Also, as we saw from the CA tour, Geddy's voice is not what it used to be. They may add some dates to what has already been released (but not consecutive nights) both here and abroad but that's it.
  • Like 2

They will NOT be "adding dates" to this leg of the tour. What we see is what we get for 2015. Those gaps at the beginning of June and July, where there aren't any shows, are for them to go home for 7-10 days between each three-week run of shows. They may decide at the end of the summer, if they're feeling good, and the tour is a successful cash cow, to let Ray Danniels and his team schedule an additional leg in the spring of 2016, including Europe and N.A. markets they didn't hit on this first leg.

...and in my opinion, yes, R40, whether it be one leg or two, will be the final tour.

• Like 2

Speaking squeezing every penny out of the fans, the first concert I saw way back in 1982 was The Who… on their farewell tour…. Guess who is also touring this summer….

My first tour was 82, too! Toronto, the October CNE show. Yeah, their repeated returns to the stage have certainly dulled the excitement of that childhood memory.

Definitely their last tour. Geddy recently said that touring has gotten difficult and that Neil is actually in pain from the time they start rehearsals until the end of the tour. Also, as we saw from the S&A (maybe VT) tour, Geddy's voice is not what it used to be. They may add some dates to what has already been released (but not consecutive nights) both here and abroad but that's it.

Accurately fixed and there was an article that came out just a week or so ago and they (not just Alex) said that this is likely the last tour. Enjoy it if you can and then let it go.

I'm treating it as if it might be the last one... I hate to think it, but there are so many things that could happen to prevent one of them from continuing. Since I live overseas, I have to make my concerts count and I will not miss this chance! :)

I agree, I want to remember as being at the top of their game, the Clockwork show was so amazing, I'm sure they can top it—they always do come up with some new things to keep it fresh.

It's not being hyped as a farewell tour. Just the last one of this magnitude. That could easily mean shorter shows in the future like most bands have always done, and they did when they were young. One way to make a tour easier is to play an hour or 90 min. Instead of 2-3 hours, and bring along another couple of bands to hang out with and share some of the work. Also fewer dates/shorter runs.

Black Sabbath on the other hand, made it very clear that they plan to try to do one last album and tour, and that will be it. Tony Iommi said he's pretty certain that his lymphoma will eventually present itself again, but he has no idea if it will be next week, next year, or next decade. Hopefully they can get Bill Ward back behind the drums for it, but his health is also not so healthy.

Neil had epicondylitis in the left elbow last tour, and wore a brace for at least one show I saw. My biggest disappointment is that he only got to use the tshirt canon starting last tour. It's like the best baseball player playing 40 years without a mitt, then becoming a reliever a year after the mitt is invented.

Edited by HalfwayToGone

They will NOT be "adding dates" to this leg of the tour. What we see is what we get for 2015. Those gaps at the beginning of June and July, where there aren't any shows, are for them to go home for 7-10 days between each three-week run of shows. They may decide at the end of the summer, if they're feeling good, and the tour is a successful cash cow, to let Ray Danniels and his team schedule an additional leg in the spring of 2016, including Europe and N.A. markets they didn't hit on this first leg.

...and in my opinion, yes, R40, whether it be one leg or two, will be the final tour.

This sounds about right.

I think we could call this the first part of a long, highly segmented, last tour.

• Like 1

Rush has pretty much told us with the Tour Poster.... all great roads must come to an end -- and the great American highway ends in Santa Monica, CA.

http://www.rush.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/post_feature.jpg

The first time I saw Rush was in '84 during the Grace Under Pressure tour. I was thinking I better see them because they were already dinosaurs and they may not be around much longer. I had the same feeling for subsequent tours, fearing every time I saw them may be my last. When Vapor Trails came out I stopped worrying about it and just enjoyed the experience. The shows since then have had a different vibe from the older days. Now it's more of a celebration of life and friendship. Yes... one of these days they'll have to call it quits. But until that happens I'm along for the ride and loving every minute of it.
  • Like 2