What Rush album is the most consistent ?

Bytor and the Snow-Dog

Every studio album up to "Counterparts" is consistent to me.

Once Neil changed his drumming configuration it was all over.

Then again I do enjoy "S&A" and "Clockwork."

Guess I have a hard time with "Testicles For Stucco" and "Snail Trails." So boring.

I would say either Hemispheres or Permanent Waves

Hemispheres is also very consistent, i just feel that circumstances doesn't come as close as all the other tracks.

When they played "Circumstances" on the S&A Tour I almost shit my pants.

"Hemispheres" is the greatest album ever made on the earth.

Every song is perfect together.

• Like 4

Hemis is for me a bit to laboured. It could have been shrunk down to about 14 minutes and been waaay better. Maybe they just didn't have any other material.

For me PeW/MP/Signals are all the most consistent. Have been for me since the start (about 1986)

Exactly how i feel, cut like a couple minutes from cygnus and it would be better already.

I'll go in chronological order of the ones I think fit the description:

Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, and Hold Your Fire. "All killer and no filler", indeed. And maybe Counterparts, which I like more than most people. But it's maybe not on a par with the other three I just mentioned.

• Like 1

I would say either Hemispheres or Permanent Waves

Hemispheres is also very consistent, i just feel that circumstances doesn't come as close as all the other tracks.

When they played "Circumstances" on the S&A Tour I almost shit my pants.

"Hemispheres" is the greatest album ever made on the earth.

Every song is perfect together.

I got to see the Hemispheres Prelude on the Counterparts tour, and yeah...same deal. I won't say I almost, umm, shat myself, but I just about lost my mind. Only the Prelude, four and a half minutes, you know, but it was awesome.

Notably Power Windows.

But also MP, PeW, Signals, Hemi, nearly CA, and somewhat Presto and HYF. But consistency doesn't automatically equal favoritism.

• Like 2

I think most of the albums are pretty consistent within themselves... the few that seem to get the least amount of play from me are (in no order) Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones,Test for Echo and Vapor Trails...they just seem to run in a few different directions within themselves...Except for a few songs...that whole era of HyF through T4E just seems to be a band trying to keep things moving along, and they weren't really giving their songs enough time to really develop, producers maybe? I dunno..but they sort of miss it with my taste... (although Counterparts was a decent one in the midst of that time period)(and I'm still bummed that I didn't get to see them live on that tour)

I started appreciating VT a little more once they put out the remix, it WAS tough to listen to, and I didn't really like many of the tunes until I got to hear them live...but the tunes seemed to just be a band getting it back together, which wasn't a bad thing, just a "ok, let's try this again" and they put out a decent album.

The other thing is when you go through some other albums...there is MAYBE one tune that just didn't hit the mark...I Think I'm Going Bald, Emotion Detector, The Speed of Love, Bravest Face, Good News First, and We Hold on... Those are the odd fellers on otherwise really great albums! Same with 2112 (which I still love a lot) to me has some inconsistencies! After the EPIC, you get Bangkok, which is a great break...then it goes to Twilight Zone which is odd, Lessons and Tears which to me seem like filler, then Something for Nothing which is another amazing track!

Don't get me wrong, I've played all of these albums to death (and once I get through the Umphrey's McGee New Years run..great band if you like prog and jam bands!) I'll be tossing them all into the car in order to celebrate getting my ticket!!

Edited by Jaminbenb

Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, and Power Windows.

Those are my picks too.Being a guitarist i notice Alex 's tone on each album.Heavy and thick on MP,dark and angular on GUP and shiny and bright on PoW and that applies to the production and feel of each of those albums.I know i am going to be in the minority here but i am going throw in RTB an album which i can play all the way through .To me its just an uplifting album.

Aftk through PoW. Power Windows is incredibly consistent. For me, HYF was the first time since 2112 that there was a song that did not go with the flow.

Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, and Power Windows.

Those are my picks too.Being a guitarist i notice Alex 's tone on each album.Heavy and thick on MP,dark and angular on GUP and shiny and bright on PoW and that applies to the production and feel of each of those albums.I know i am going to be in the minority here but i am going throw in RTB an album which i can play all the way through .To me its just an uplifting album.

RTB is a very upbeat album.

Consistent...not the best. Let's see...

Grace Under pressure and Power Windows seem pretty consistent all the way through. I say that because I can play these two albums looped and they don't seem to miss a beat. They may be too consistent, actually, making them less impactful as albums.

It's really tough not to pick Moving Pictures in terms of overalll consistency and quality.

• Like 1