Older fans with little to no disposable income and a tremendous loyalty to Rush cannot be easily taken advantage of by anyone

Fixed for me..... :sigh: :codger:
  • Like 1

I gotta tell ya, when the tour was first announced I was pretty much apathetic about it. Here we go again, another Rush tour.

I thought about it after Geddy said this might be the last tour of this magnitude for Rush.

Okay, I bought tickets, a bit reluctantly because of the price.

Now I'm excited. This could be the last time I see Rush in concert.

• Like 3

This could be the last time I see Rush in concert.

^^^ This trumps all for me. Sure I am going alone and "only" disposed of 125 bucks to do it. Would I love to have spent the 500 and had my family there? Yes. But first and foremost they are my band not there's so I need to be a realist.... Edited by Narpski

I was discouraged about the $130 I spent last week (not including the $17 handling and $2.95 for MAIL) but saw something that made me feel a little bit better. Motley Crue wants $230 for the same seat in the same venue three weeks later. Edited by analog guy

Hi Lorraine,

If money is really tight, you should get a 0% credit card and pay the tickets off over a year. Would be less painful that way. :)

Or buy $40 tix the day of. But I think traveling is a major factor.

• Like 2

I haven't read over the entire thread, so if any of this is mentioned, sorry for repeating:

Most college and professional sports charge "Personal Seat Licenses" and "Club dues" that a "member" must pay in order to even be given a chance to buy tickets to the sporting events. I'm not familiar with other set ups, but for the South Carolina Gamecocks, for example, the club dues are range from $99 to over $10,000, and the PSL's range from $50, per seat, to over $200, per seat. I'm understating all of this. This is BEFORE you buy the tickets, which are from $55 to $80. And that is for a college football team that isn't very good. Elite colleges and professional sports teams charge a lot more.

AND YOUR TEAM ISN'T GUARANTEED TO PLAY WELL OR WIN.

Rush is guaranteed to show up and guaranteed to play well and guaranteed to play 3 hours. You're not paying any up front fees just to get at the tickets.

Yes, it's expensive, but you're getting a chance to see and listen to the best band that has ever existed in history. You gotta pay for quality.

• Like 4

The 100 level seats are a little $$$, and I am also a little surprised that tickets are all from resellers already. It's bulls*t, really.

I have also decided that our beloved band doesn't give a rat's ass about it either.

• Like 1

The 100 level seats are a little $$$, and I am also a little surprised that tickets are all from resellers already. It's bulls*t, really.

I have also decided that our beloved band doesn't give a rat's ass about it either.

I wouldn't say Rush doesn't gives a rat's ass,

The economy plays a major factor. Plus supply and demand. There are far more less talented acts out there who charge a lot more.

I have been off the forum for a few days, but a couple of thoughts to add to the whole "wow concert tickets are expensive these days" conversation:

Lorraine asked about venue rental costs... I inquired with a local I know who works in facility operations at a typical arena (NBA venue) here in Texas and I was told the rental fee is most definitely in the range of six figures.

I can't remember, but someone mentioned Eddie Vedder's last tour... he certainly did keep prices somewhat reasonable, but I remember tickets still going for around $100. Vedder's trick, though, was to play smaller venues. For my money, that's worth the money for the fan. Smaller, more intimate venues tend to make for more enjoyable shows. They also cost the artist/promoters less money to rent. But Vedder also probably could not play the large arenas and sheds as a solo act. Yes, Pearl Jam can fill a stadium... Eddie alone, likely not.

Another factor that drives some of this, particularly in small and medium market cities, is facility supply and demand. The reality in many markets is there are fewer venues of noteable size. I grew up in St. Louis and, back then, artists and promoters had a wide array of venue choice. Small acts could play the American Theater (which seated about 2,000) the Kiel Opera House (on the back side of the larger Kiel Auditorium and which seated about 3,000), the Fox Theatre (which seats about 4,000). Larger acts could play the Kiel Auditorium (which seated about 10,000) or the St. Louis Checkerdome/Arena (which could seat a little under 20,000). The Cardinals didn't allow for many concerts at Busch Stadium II, but when it did have shows (e.g. The Who) it would seat around 50,000. Those options, AKA competition, favored the consumer.

Fast forward to today.... the American/Orpheum theatre is closed. The Arena was demolished. Kiel Auditorium was demolished to become the Savvis/Scottrade center. This now leaves two options for smaller acts: The Fox or Kiel Opera House. For established acts, you technically have two options: The Scottrade Center or the Riverport/Verizon/Whatever They Call It These Days Amphitheatre in Maryland Heights. But the amphitheatre is only a legitimate option for half the year due to weather and, even then, because of periodic flooding along the Missouri River, that venue is not preferred for spring/summer shows. Extremely large draws like the Rolling Stones can play Busch III or the Edward Jones Dome, but very few acts are at that level... including Rush. This means the few venues that do exist can command very high prices.

Here in South Texas we have a similar problem. After Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre closed, the only options for bands like Rush are the AT&T Center or the Alamodome in the half configuration (which, although has pretty solid acoustics, is not very well preferred because of the poor sightlines in a football stadium and the fact the facility needed some upgrades for quite a while and only recently got a touch up). The old Freeman Coliseum still exists next to the AT&T Center, but its seating capacity is too small. Up in Austin, until recently, the only real option was the Frank Erwin Center, which has limited availability because it is the host facility for UT sports (and, really, trying to negotiate with UT on anything is like trying to get Congress to agree on something). Austin now has the 360 Amphitheatre, which Rush is playing this time around, but it is literally entirely an outdoor venue. Save for the first few rows, the canopy covers only the artist. That's not preferred for a lot of reasons.

Even a very large metro area like Dallas has few options. American Airlines Arena Center is the only viable indoor space. Reunion Arena is long gone and Jerry World is entirely too large. There is an outdoor amphitheatre on the state fair grounds (the name escapes me), but it is less preferred.

Basically, as cities built new arenas to keep their NBA/NHL teams happy, they initially leveraged out the older, smaller, more affordable and often privately held venues as a means to keep their arenas in operation and generating revenue year round. Once the smaller venues died off, they were able to drive facility costs. What's more, because of exclusive service deals with Ticketmaster, etc. you had even fewer competitive forces in play and service fees skyrocketed. Plus, we have to factor in the litigious nature of our society and the overall cost increases due to liability and other insurance. Then, keep in mind that local and state governments have done little to nothing to monitor or regulate ticket brokering, let alone restrict large block buys by these groups. Finally, layer in some traditional middle-man profits and.... voila.... $300 concert tickets. But it all starts with the reduction in the number of venues.

• Like 1

So Denver is $130.00 plus $16 per ticket fees. Does this seem a little high to anyone else? I know, it's Rush and I've seen every tour since Signals but I think this might be a just a bit out of my range. I paid $70.00 for Springsteen last year and he's still a much bigger draw. Just sayin'.

Before I get blasted here, I'm totally okay with the guys getting every penny they can. I'm just wondering if anyone else might be at their limit for what they will pay.

HW

Although I have commented way too often on various threads here about how pricing and demand are extremely manipulated in concert biz...the 'demand' to sit close to Rush is way far beyond the demand to sit close to Bruce. I live not far from NJ and Bruce's vast loyal fanbase is mostly happy to go the the show and rock. Rush fans seem to want to be closer to those three amazing musicians than other famous acts.

The premium seat pricing for Rush has always been among the most expensive in rock, and R41 has been through the roof.

^^^ This trumps all for me. Sure I am going alone and "only" disposed of 125 bucks to do it. Would I love to have spent the 500 and had my family there? Yes. But first and foremost they are my band not there's so I need to be a realist....

Are you going to Greensboro or Atlanta?

^^^ This trumps all for me. Sure I am going alone and "only" disposed of 125 bucks to do it. Would I love to have spent the 500 and had my family there? Yes. But first and foremost they are my band not there's so I need to be a realist....

Are you going to Greensboro or Atlanta?

Atlanta...
  • Like 1