My first real concert, as well as my first Rush concert. Tips? useful info?

Entre_Perpetuo

So as I am only sixteen, this will be my first and likely only Rush concert. In addition, this will be the first real concert which I go to voluntarily and outside of music camps, school, and honor bands (I play saxophone). I was wondering if any experienced concert-goers, most especially with Rush concerts, could give me any useful information about what I should be prepared for when I go with my dad in June. Feel free to share random concert stories, too (makes the thread more fun). :)

Get a set of high quality earplugs. You're only 16... and since this is your first real concert you should get in the habit of using them EVERYTIME you go to a show.

This I agree with. I have never used them, and have tinitus - luckily not too bad.

Get a set of high quality earplugs. You're only 16... and since this is your first real concert you should get in the habit of using them EVERYTIME you go to a show.

Thanks for the tip! I'd heard earplugs might be a good idea, but I wasn't sure how much that applied to Rush. I'll definitely look into it. :)

Thanks for the tip! I'd heard earplugs might be a good idea, but I wasn't sure how much that applied to Rush. I'll definitely look into it. :)

I'm sure many of the metal bands out there are louder than RUSH. But RUSH is still an extremely loud show.

get a feel of what the people in your seating area are like before you do anything. rush shows attract a variety of people. something as simple as standing for your favorite song could cause a shitstorm with the wrong fan.

as for ear plugs, whether or not they're necessary probably depends on where you're seated. I'm usually pretty far from the stage, and I don't think rush is a very loud show at all. but I'm sure if you have floor seats like most folks on TRF, it's loud as shit

My ears are knackered with tinnitus, use plugs. Went to many loud gigs in small venues but Rush can be very loud as well, R30 in London was crazy loud to me but sometimes you may just be standing in a sweet spot. Wear plugs.

Hey, you're my age! Nice to swim not the only baby around here. Look, it's a rock concert, so it's gonna be really loud. You can expect two and a half hours of pure awesomeness, but you might want earplugs. Where is your show?
  • Like 1

Very happy for you to be able to see Rush. I was almost 16 for my first Rush show (and first ever concert).

Some random thoughts on concert going:

The coolest thing is obviously seeing the band live and in the flesh. As others have said, it can be loud. You can often feel the music pulsing through your body.

A lot of your concert experience depends on who you are sitting near. Having someone really drunk or trying to talk throughout the show can really be annoying. Also prepare yourself to smell the scent of pot smoke.

Don't show up at the last minute for the venue. There are often long security lines getting into the venues. Make sure you have time to get there early and soak in the atmosphere before the show starts. If you want to get t-shirts or other merchandise, this would be the best time to get them. The lines after the show can be pretty bad. The only plus is that you don't have to worry about your stuff getting damaged or stolen during the show. I never get merchandise at the show any more. I will check out to see what cool stuff they have and then order it online.

Depending on the venue, tailgating before the show can be a blast. Love hanging out with fellow Rush fans, playing guitar, cooking out on the grill, and having a few adult beverages (you can have a root beer). It's much like tailgating before a football game at some shows.

Again depending on the venue, leaving the event can be a nightmare. I certainly wouldn't leave during the encore to try to get on the road quickly, but I can understand those who do. I like hanging out with our tailgate group once again and waiting for traffic to die down.

Have fun!

• Like 2

This will be my first big concert in years and my very first time seeing Rush. Concerts are pretty kick ass and bone numbingly loud. Best advice is simply, refrain from being a jerk unless it's called for. I've had jerks tell me to sit down and quit singing along. Don't do that (unless the other person is being overly obnoxious). Just remember, everyone is there to have a blast, so be sure to do the same ;).

My first concert was on TIme Machine and I think I was about 17. I went with a buddy of mine and then I went alone to Clockwork Angels. I'll be going alone again to R40. It'll be awesome to have your dad there with you. It's a great experience. One thing I would share is that you may be inclined to record the concert on your phone (or other device). With perhaps small exceptions, you'll wish you paid more attention to the actual show later. Don't let filming distract the experience.

Cheers

• Like 2

Yeah I've only started recently. I'm 20 and I've lost a good deal of my hearing already

Thanks so much for all of the above tips, which. I don,t have time to ry to all of, but am very appreciative of everyone's advice. A first my Dad and I were thinking of driving up to the Detroit show, but we're beginning to think it will be easier for us to go to the Chicago show and less costly for gas. My Dad says that all he cares about seating wise is that we get in the door and can enjoy the show, so odds are we'll be sitting towards the back. Anything I should know about the Chicago venue in particular?

As a veteran of 8 Rush shows, all since 2007, besides earplugs, in my opinion, the two most important words are BLADDER MANAGEMENT. A Rush show is the one public event where the women get in and out of the bathroom lightning-quick and the guys are stuck in long lines. Some people have designated songs they use as bathroom/beverage run breaks, but I like to see the whole show. Even in my experiences, generally if you get in the bathroom line at the start of intermission, there's still a pretty good chance you'll miss the film clip leading into the second set, and maybe even part of the first song of the second set. So, my advice regarding the bathroom, if you want to see the whole concert, is:

1. pee before you leave your house/hotel/wherever

2. pee again when you arrive at the venue

3. once you arrive at the venue, don't drink anything until after the show, unless you get dehydrated very easily

The Columbus show will be my first of three on the R40 tour, and I'm bringing my 14-year-old cousin, who's never been to a major rock concert before. I'll have to teach him my patented bladder management techniques.

• Like 1

As a veteran of 8 Rush shows, all since 2007, besides earplugs, in my opinion, the two most important words are BLADDER MANAGEMENT. A Rush show is the one public event where the women get in and out of the bathroom lightning-quick and the guys are stuck in long lines. Some people have designated songs they use as bathroom/beverage run breaks, but I like to see the whole show. Even in my experiences, generally if you get in the bathroom line at the start of intermission, there's still a pretty good chance you'll miss the film clip leading into the second set, and maybe even part of the first song of the second set. So, my advice regarding the bathroom, if you want to see the whole concert, is:

3. once you arrive at the venue, don't drink anything until after the show, unless you get dehydrated very easily

The Columbus show will be my first of three on the R40 tour, and I'm bringing my 14-year-old cousin, who's never been to a major rock concert before. I'll have to teach him my patented bladder management techniques.

I'm a major pee camel myself, so I don't think I'll have to worry about using the bathroom at the concert, but I'll make sure to tell my dad. ;) thanks!

• Like 1

I'm a major pee camel myself, so I don't think I'll have to worry about using the bathroom at the concert, but I'll make sure to tell my dad. ;) thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about that. There is an intermission in the middle after all.

get a feel of what the people in your seating area are like before you do anything. rush shows attract a variety of people. something as simple as standing for your favorite song could cause a shitstorm with the wrong fan.

I had a beer dumped on me when Tom Sawyer came on during the Clockwork Angels Tour in Edmonton. I was singing along all night, and finally had to stand to show my appreciation. Apparently that isn't allowed when you're in the upper bowl.

Oh maaan. I saw Genesis in Sacramento in 92 and a guy spilled his beer all on this guys back. The guy just did nothing. I was fookin amazed. He knew that it was an accident so he didn't get all pissed, but damn. It was hot that day and he must have smelled funky as hell later on.

Well, I have only ever seen rush on the floor, so I don't know what the people in the nosebleeds are like, but if there are good Rush fans next to you (which you can tell by someone who is wearing a rush shirt obviously (and even better if its not a shirt bought at the show)) don't be afraid to talk to them if they seem social. I know time flew chatting with a fellow Rush fan waiting for the Red Deer show to start (which started an hour late due to them not being able to get their ear monitors working).

Also, beware of beer! Watch for anyone carrying it, and make sure you keep as close to your seat as possible while they pass (to avoid a spill), and keep note of them if they seem like they would be easily pissed off if drunk. Again, I can only speak from other fans experiences, since the floor is a place to stand, air (insert instrument here) and sing along, but the upper section people probably don't take kindly to this.

Here is a tip I have not seen yet, don't get fixated on the video screen when it is showing band footage. Though the borders used for it are neat, and it does give a nice close-up of solos, if you fixate on it, you may not notice certain light effects, or other fun things going on stage.

Finally, make sure you lock your car doors while waiting to exit the car parking lot. I didn't think to do this once, and a very drunk guy just opened the car door, and told me to go. It took two helpful rush fans to help me get him out

Have Fun!