Official "Is this the only US leg of the R40 tour?" Poll

zappafrank

Official "Is this the only US leg of the R40 tour?" Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Rush will do a 2nd US leg of the R40 Tour?

• Yes, and I think it's always been the plan to announce it at a later date
    • Yes, but I think it will come about as a result of fan demand and wasn't necessarily their intention when planning the 34-city trek
    • No, but I think they might add a few select dates during the extended breaks in order to cover a few glaring missed markets
    • No, what they've announced is all it will be *sad panda*
    • I honestly don't know

It might be.

I'll tell you what I honestly think. It looks to me that this is a reluctant tour and a tour that is a compromise. Something about the schedule looks strained to me - dates packed so closely together - it looks designed to wear them out in the shortest amount of time.

If it happens to go well and they add some dates in Europe later, they may wind back to the east coast and do another MSG and Boston date, another one or two in Toronto, before calling it FINIS.

This question is weighing a lot on my mind. The dates and distance make it almost impossible for me to see a show. Do I "Roll the bones" and hope they announce Little Rock, Nashville or Memphis or somehow, someway see a show in St Louis, New Orleans or Atlanta?

This question is weighing a lot on my mind. The dates and distance make it almost impossible for me to see a show. Do I "Roll the bones" and hope they announce Little Rock, Nashville or Memphis or somehow, someway see a show in St Louis, New Orleans or Atlanta?

I wouldn't do that if I were you. If you can see them now and have the money to travel the distance, do it.

• Like 2

I think Neil is going to phone it in on this tour. Geddy and Alex will be giving their 110% but I feel like if Ged and Alex really forced Neil to go on the road, something tells me he might totally half-ass everything. I don't think he'll have a HUGE Lars Ulrich-esque fall from grace, though. Edited by fraroc

I think it's in the works like the last one...Neil has been reluctant to tour the past few times, but I think once he gets out there, he enjoys it.... I have a feeling that after this one, they'll take a few months off, then announce a second leg, and finish it up!

Regardless... I made sure I got a seat for this tour!

• Like 1

There are a lot of dates on this tour that usually show up in the 2nd leg. They usually don't hit Vancouver until the end of the second leg so I think this is a one leg tour. Maybe a stop in Europe or South America later on, but I doubt it will extend into 2016 like CA tour did

Well think about it this way...what potential markets are not on the list of 34?

The Gorge

San Diego

Maybe another Bay Area Show

San Antonio

Nashville

Memphis

Orlando

Miami

Milwaukee

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Then some other smaller ones (like a Tulsa)

Little Rock

El Paso

Albequrque

There are no guarantees so I would not wait for a show.

But I don't think there is any reason to believe that this will be any different than the last 2 tours. The length is about the same as he last four tour legs.

Doubt they would rev this whole engine up for 35 shows.

Four to five months of work this year -- then a long break. Do it again next year.

Then we can really start worrying about the end of touring.

I hope I'm right - but you ever know.

Edited by big lou
  • Like 1

It could go either way. On the one hand, they've got enough of the major markets covered in the 34 cities that this might be it. On the other hand, there are several places they usually hit that aren't on this first run: Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Saratoga, Hershey, anywhere in Connecticut (whether it be Uncasville, Hartford, Bridgeport, whatever), only one Florida date when they usually do at least two or three, etc. My feeling is that when August 1st rolls around, as long as they're all feeling good, they'll go home, take a break, and Ray Danniels will get a European run together (hard to believe, as often as they've gone across the pond, that they'd leave Europe out of this R40 celebration), as well as a second run of North America shows including most of the places I listed.

EDIT: Any theoretical second leg, in my opinion, wouldn't be 'til at least winter/spring of 2016. They wouldn't just randomly announce more shows for this fall.

Edited by Pale Facsimile
  • Like 1

Well think about it this way...what potential markets are not on the list of 34?

The Gorge

San Diego

Maybe another Bay Area Show

San Antonio

Nashville

Memphis

Orlando

Miami

Milwaukee

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Then some other smaller ones (like a Tulsa)

Little Rock

El Paso

Albequrque

This tour is a bit backwards from the last few. Most of the cities in the list (a good one, by the way!) of missed places are usually hit on a first leg, but the first leg has usually come in the fall. This is a first leg (assuming there will be a smaller second leg in the winter) that is in the spring.

These late spring/early summer dates, though, limit venue availability for cities with NBA and, to a lesser extent NHL, franchises because the teams reduce calendar availability when planning for the playoffs. That, in turn, makes it very hard to line up key cities in a geographic order.

I don't think it is a coincidence your list of missed key locations includes 9 cities with an NBA and/or NHL franchise and that a number of NBA/NHL cities, particularly two in Canada, have dates that fall after the potential playoff calendar (weather probably helps there, too). .

Sure, Dallas, Houston, St. Louis, and New Orleans, all NBA or NHL cities, have early tour shows during the final portion of the potential playoff calendar, but that is probably more a function of calendar luck, being able to find nearby non NBA/NHL cities (e.g., Tulsa, Austin) and the promoter wanting to guarantee some high seat filling venues.

All that said, the fact that bread-and-butter fan bases like Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, the last two having significant historical meaning to the band, are not getting shows this tour, gives me reason to pause and think there might be an add-on in the fall/winter. I wonder, though, if that add-on would be something more like 10 cities than 30.

• Like 1

There has to be another US leg and European dates,I mean seriously your last show in LA?!?! I see them closing the store in Toronto if possible

Just been reading the RIAB website and noticed this...

'The release also doesn't mention plans for a European tour, and unfortunately for our friends across the pond - the rumour is that there won't be any European leg for this tour, although nothing has been confirmed yet.'

:|

I hope so, it would be odd if they were to only play 34 dates then finish the tour all together, especially with it being an anniversary tour. I do think though if we get a European leg it'll be the last tour over here.

I'd bet on a date in Milwaukee, around July 4... SummerFest has been a great time for Rush to play The Marcus Amphitheater in the past and that time is currently open on the tour calendar. My money is on a Saturday, July 4, Rush show at Marcus.... Rock ON!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%202013%20Milwaukee%204%20July/IMG_3759_zps5a264b26.jpg

I was driving home today and Tom Sawyer came on the radio, afterwards the dj said something about this only being the first leg of the tour and to "not worry" if they aren't coming close to you because they will apparently add more dates. Could just be a guy peddling rumors, but he sounded pretty sure of himself.

I'd bet on a date in Milwaukee, around July 4... SummerFest has been a great time for Rush to play The Marcus Amphitheater in the past and that time is currently open on the tour calendar. My money is on a Saturday, July 4, Rush show at Marcus.... Rock ON!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%202013%20Milwaukee%204%20July/IMG_3759_zps5a264b26.jpg

They will not play Milwaukee on July 4. It is in the middle of one of their breaks. No Summerfest this year, I hope I'm wrong.