Did you get tickets?

LedRush

Goose, tell me if I have this straight in my mind.

The prime concert tickets are gone even before presale starts. So a fan is hoping to get quality seats, but they were already scarfed up by that Stub place and other independent scalpers.

Rush has to know this is going on. Why hasn't it ever been stopped? Unless....unless....unless....someone is getting a major kickback from the sale of these grossly overpriced tickets.

Nobody puts a stop to it because there's a lot of tickets being sold this way. This means bunch of money in the promoter/bands pocket right from the start. Ticketmaster/Live Nation are too big for a band like Rush to take on in court or whatever. Sure, they could try but Ticketmaster is the largest seller of tickets in the US and Live Nation is the biggest promoter. They have contracts with many of major arenas/amphitheaters across the country. If someone stood up to them they run the risk of not being able to play shows for a longtime if ever again if things don't go the their way. It's better to just accept that this is how tickets are sold now and Rush is still able to play shows then risk taking on the big machine and not being able to play any. I'm not a fan of it either but it is what it is.

Well, then, Neil should be railing against the evil and corrupt system he is part of instead of Christians and give us all a break.

neil is unaware or doesn't give a shit. probably both.

he probably doesn't go to concerts anymore in his free time so he might not have any clue about ticketmaster service charges and things like that.

I had tickets in Chicago, Geddy side, first upper section, lost those. Now I'm Alex side in the cheaper seats. I guess my wallet is grateful but something is very screwy with the ticket sales this time around.

welcome back!

It's better to just accept that this is how tickets are sold now and Rush is still able to play shows then risk taking on the big machine and not being able to play any. I'm not a fan of it either but it is what it is.

It is this mentality that keeps corrupt companies like Ticketmaster in power.

All that is necessary for the triumph of Evil is for good men to do nothing. (Edmund Burke)

burke was definitely talking about the struggle of upper-middle class americans to get rush tickets within the first 10 rows. definitely.

:LOL:

• Like 1

Goose, tell me if I have this straight in my mind.

The prime concert tickets are gone even before presale starts. So a fan is hoping to get quality seats, but they were already scarfed up by that Stub place and other independent scalpers.

Rush has to know this is going on. Why hasn't it ever been stopped? Unless....unless....unless....someone is getting a major kickback from the sale of these grossly overpriced tickets.

Nobody puts a stop to it because there's a lot of tickets being sold this way. This means bunch of money in the promoter/bands pocket right from the start. Ticketmaster/Live Nation are too big for a band like Rush to take on in court or whatever. Sure, they could try but Ticketmaster is the largest seller of tickets in the US and Live Nation is the biggest promoter. They have contracts with many of major arenas/amphitheaters across the country. If someone stood up to them they run the risk of not being able to play shows for a longtime if ever again if things don't go the their way. It's better to just accept that this is how tickets are sold now and Rush is still able to play shows then risk taking on the big machine and not being able to play any. I'm not a fan of it either but it is what it is.

Well, then, Neil should be railing against the evil and corrupt system he is part of instead of Christians and give us all a break.

neil is unaware or doesn't give a shit. probably both.

he probably doesn't go to concerts anymore in his free time so he might not have any clue about ticketmaster service charges and things like that.

Neil doesn't know? Oh please. But I do believe he doesn't care.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I know that the comedian Louis CK was able to pretty successfully take on Ticketmaster by first having a tour where he sold tickets directly to fans, and left Ticketmaster out of it entirely. This time, they are involved but apparently agreed to do his ticketing without all the extra fees, I'm guessing because they didn't want to be left out again. So, if there's a will, there's a way.

Good for him. He's one of my favorite comedians and it's nice to see he stood up to them and was at least successful in some way.

There's been very few who have taken on ticketmaster that i'm aware of. I know in the 90s Pearl Jam took them to court in order to get them to take their service charges for tickets away for anyone who purchased tickets to see them. I think the case was thrown out though and nothing came of it. Also, back in the 90s, Garth Brooks was successful at getting ticket prices for his shows to go down. He got the price down to $19.50 a ticket. Now matter where you sat in the arena, that's what you paid. I'm not sure how he pulled that off but his insane popularity back then probably played a big role in it. Even now i've heard that his tickets are in the $60 something range, so he's still keeping the prices down for his shows. I guess if the artist feels strongly enough about it and thinks it's worth the time and energy, they can get their ticket prices down. I just don't think most of them feel like taking up the fight.

I'm am more concerned about StubHub. How are they getting these tickets that they turn around and sell to desperate fans for thousands of dollars? These tickets are gone before presale begins. Who is buying them up and/or giving them to StubHub so that they can charge $5,000 for an $199 first row seat at Madison Square Garden?

Read a copy of this....

http://www.textbooks...CFcvm7Aodu14AtA

It's an eyeopener for those who want to know how the ticket situation got to be this way.

A Wall Street Journal review of the book.

http://www.wsj.com/a...319113516143894

It wasn't until 1982, when Fred Rosen became CEO, that Ticketmaster began its meteoric ascent. The company's competitors, such as Ticketron, charged venues to install its computers and software. Ticketmaster made its available free, earning money instead by taking a cut of the service charges. These the company quickly doubled, promising venues and acts a share of the additional profits. To finance these guarantees, Ticketmaster required complete monogamy from its venues. "Everything was exclusive from day one in every building," Mr. Rosen tells the authors, correctly theorizing that, "if the competition didn't have any [tickets], people were going to find our distribution system real quick." The company quickly claimed the market; sales ballooned from $1 million in 1982 to $400 million in 1987.

Edited by goose

Enter StubHub, et al...

In the past decade, much has changed in the business of ticket-selling. The Internet has given rise to small independent competitors such as Ticketfly. Secondary-sales sites, such as Stubhub (owned by eBay) and Ticketmaster's TicketsNow, have taken over the market-making role that illegal scalpers once played. Automatic ticket-buying software ("bots") now dominate online purchasing. Once the bots sweep up all the tickets, they are resold by the purer marketplaces, and the price ratchets up dramatically.

...James Murphy fondly recalled seeing the Jackson Victory Tour back in 1984. The band thought it would take 10 days to sell out; it took about 10 minutes.

Fans were furious, the band was baffled and bloggers spread rumors that LCD Soundsystem had rigged the process by withholding the best seats for friends. In fact, what happened was the same thing that always happens: Ticketmaster had sold the tickets online for the agreed-upon price and virtually all the available tickets were immediately purchased by bots. The face price for the MSG show ran between $35 and $49.50, but on StubHub floor seats reached a ludicrous $350,000.

The bottom line? Free Market's a bitch, man. :laughing guy:

• Like 1

The article ends with this line from the author...

Who's to blame for the ridiculous service and delivery charge for my Thermals tickets? I am. I willingly paid.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hg0ymZZjfqg/TqM34EnLLXI/AAAAAAAAABI/zBpjLUi0Itg/s1600/8817_103627786315292_100000042141947_102389_3504377_n.jpg

• Like 1

Today, I scored 11th Row, Center Section, Seat #1 for the St. Paul Show. VIP Silver Package..... :haz: :haz:

PURE LUCK........I logged on to check out the Citi Pre-Sale, and found that I could get into the VIP tickets. I had no idea that the VIP packages opened to the public today. :LOL:

• Like 1

I don't have any tickets to anything! Who's with me?

parking ticket..does that count?

..I'm waiting for St Louis or New Orleans (my Birthday if anyone is in the giving mood :) )

Who's with you for what?

I mean who's in the same situation I am? I didn't stress myself out over doing the whole pre-sale thing.

It just made me laugh and roll my eyes a bit that we had threads on here (like this one) less than 36 hours after the tour was even made public, talking about things like did you get tickets, and where are your seats, and all that.

I plan to pay face value, sometime later on, and I bet I'll get damn good seats. I waited until the day before the show on the Clockwork Angels tour, and sat about 20 rows back. And I was just fine with that.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

The article ends with this line from the author...

Who's to blame for the ridiculous service and delivery charge for my Thermals tickets? I am. I willingly paid.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hg0ymZZjfqg/TqM34EnLLXI/AAAAAAAAABI/zBpjLUi0Itg/s1600/8817_103627786315292_100000042141947_102389_3504377_n.jpg

I'm going to fill one of these out for myself for having allowed herself to be taken in by three cons, even if they are talented cons at that.

Edited by Lorraine

:codger: :madra: As far as I know they aren't even for sale yet and I don't really need to be close enough to see up Geds nostrils (prominent though they are)... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I'm am more concerned about StubHub. How are they getting these tickets that they turn around and sell to desperate fans for thousands of dollars? These tickets are gone before presale begins. Who is buying them up and/or giving them to StubHub so that they can charge $5,000 for an $199 first row seat at Madison Square Garden?

Its getting worse by the day, just now on Stub Hub for Newark:

Lower 7

Row 2| Qty2

$10,442 each

Are you friken kidding me! Section 7...they're $200 face value tickets at best.

I guess my Alex side section C row 20 are worth a bazillion dollars :)

Edited by Stan Getz

me neither. wait, I probably have a parking ticket. I live in Chicago.

Now I see someone else made that joke already!!!!

MSG doesnt sell tickets till the 30th!

Edit: With you the whole way!

Edited by Golden Freddy

Stubhub isn't the villain here. The company only takes a percentage of the seller's asking price. The real villain is the person who got the tickets ahead of everyone else. Whoever has the tickets can ask any price they want. It's up to the buyers to refrain from paying those obscene prices.

If no one buys, then the prices will fall.