Wilson dismisses PT rumor, but says another album is likely

He does say he has no plans to ever do PT again as his main thing (why would I go back?), but certainly does not dismiss the idea of doing a side project type thing with those guys, including - quite possibly - an album. But that it would just be a for-old-times kind of thing. This is pretty much what I suspected all along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCnKzqB7eOk

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

Don´t get me wrong, P-D...I understand why people care so much about Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson, and respect his output. But more often than not his singing style bores me to death, and that´s what prevented me from liking this band. I heard Deadwing, Fear of A Blank Planet, The Incident and The Raven that Refused to Sing, and al those failed to spark my interest in him.
  • Like 1

Great! Now that the man's debunked (he didn't rule out the tour that's happening next year, so that one's still up for discussion) the silly rumor with his own actual voice, we won't have to deal with another rumor like that for a good year or two. Edited by Mr. Not

Don´t get me wrong, P-D...I understand why people care so much about Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson, and respect his output. But more often than not his singing style bores me to death, and that´s what prevented me from liking this band. I heard Deadwing, Fear of A Blank Planet, The Incident and The Raven that Refused to Sing, and al those failed to spark my interest in him.

Everyone is different. Although I will freely admit that technically he is not the greatest singer, there is something about his vocals that give me goosebumps which is one of the many reasons i like his work so much.
  • Like 1

He's a better vocalist than Geddy Lee.

I was waiting for someone to say that!

It's an arguable point, anyway. He's never had the jaw-dropping wow factor that Geddy used to. But there's a wonderful quality about Wilson's voice that's all his own. I rather agree with what pip65 posted above.

• Like 1

his voice is just kinda there. never paid much attention to it, I like his music a lot though, and I don't mind his voice.

I'm in the minority here when I say I'd honestly rather listen to the sky moves sideways than the "hey, we're serious now. we bought a radiohead album and listened to it." era of PT

• Like 1

What don't people understand about this? He's said numerous times that he has no plans to restart PT until it feels "right". Considering his solo career has been gaining so much traction and buzz, going back to PT would really be a step backwards in terms of his musical career. It'd only be a cash-grab, which just doesn't fit SW's persona.
  • Like 4

While PT's last album I now look back at as being inferior to the last 3 albums before it, the band totally ended on a very high note with those two special 3 hour shows at RCMH and the RAH at the end of 2010. I didn't know back then when I saw them at the RCMH show, but in retrospective it really was the end of PT that most of us would know it as SW's main creative musical outlet. It seems like moving forward with his solo work was the right decision as his solo career's been pretty successful on a creative (and arguably critically) standpoint in less than a 1/4th of the life-span of PT. Whether, PT diehards like it or not is irrelevant in SW's frame of mind. I don't blame him for pondering, "Why would I want to go back?"

If a PT album will happen, it'll happen but it'd be a bit low-keyed for lack of a better term compared to the era when they were on Atlantic/Roadrunner Records. If it won't happen, oh well. As much as the fans love PT, things/bands end at some point for one reason or another and we'll just have to live on with the music they put out or move onto other bands.

• Like 2

What don't people understand about this? He's said numerous times that he has no plans to restart PT until it feels "right". Considering his solo career has been gaining so much traction and buzz, going back to PT would really be a step backwards in terms of his musical career. It'd only be a cash-grab, which just doesn't fit SW's persona.

I agree. The music Wilson's music now requires more musicians than the core four (plus Wes on tour), and he's moved beyond PT musically too. Not that PT couldn't have grown, and did, but it probably wouldn't have easily gone where Wilson himself since has.

He's a better vocalist than Geddy Lee.

I'm not sure how that could even be challenged except by the GL/Rush fan boys.

Vocal range comparison.

There's more to it than just that or some opera woman would be the best singer in history. Tone and being able to stay in tune are just as, if not more important that range. Especially singing in tune.

Everyone is different. Although I will freely admit that technically he is not the greatest singer, there is something about his vocals that give me goosebumps which is one of the many reasons i like his work so much.

Hey Rod, maybe you should try older stuff and discover the four-piece PT. Here's something to start.

http://youtu.be/DKuHP_7J9zc

I'll throw this on the fire - I prefer Steven Wilson's vocals to James LaBrie's any day.

Yes, LaBrie is technically a better singer - more range, hits pitches (mostly), but there has always been the cheese metal element to his delivery / phrasing, over-dramatizing, etc. As much as I love some Dream Theater, there are vocal moments that recall Skid Row, Warrant, or Winger....

SW just approaches things in a much more classic way, within his abilities. Feels more organic.

Of course, neither could sing in the other's band - there's no way SW could cut singing in DT, and I throw up in my mouth a little thinking of LaBrie singing any PT (such as the above mentioned Chloroform.) However, they each fit the styles of their respective bands