Do the Pre-Sales really provide better tix?

Ron2112

You don't get better seats with most pre-sales. All it does is guarantee that you will be able to get tickets before they go on sale to the public which can work to your advantage if the show sells out quickly. Other than that, any pre-sale i've taken part in (except for Iron Maiden because they take care of their fans) you just get whatever tickets come up like usual. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I got Row 5 on Alex's side for the Buffalo show in 2012 just by doing the regular pre-sale. I kept turning around and thinking "Hehe...there are about 10 rows of VIP people behind me!" But other than that, the last few tours I've usually ended up in Row 16 or 17 for the other shows I've gone to. Still a great view. I'm too much of a cheapskate to go VIP.

I forget...is there a special link or password, etc for presales. Last time or two I got mine thru MusicToday..are they still around?

no

Agreed.

I had lawn tickets for the show I saw on the Clockwork Angels tour, and even though everything on the seating chart for the venue showed being sold out (except for one seat here or there with an obstructed view), I went back on the Ticketbastard website the day before the show, and they had released some more good seats (heads-up: that is a common little trick that happens regularly. You can check on the same show that you've been looking at for weeks- and I can almost guarantee that on the day before the show happens, you'll see some really decent seats that have opened up). So the day before the show, I bought pavilion seats that were about 20 rows back from the stage. Not in the first ten rows or anything, but still, really good seats. I think they were $110 each, if I remember correctly.

So I had two extra lawn tickets which I sold when I got to the venue, an hour before show time- and sold the pair for $60. Not too bad, I thought.

Anyway, long story short- no, I don't bother with pre-sales at all.

• Like 1

I had great luck first time I tried a presale back in 2007...9th row center in St. Paul. I've never sniffed anything close since.

I assume I got really lucky because I've been so far off anything remotely good since then.

I'll give it a go but if I can't get something I want, I'll suck it up and pay for seats I want through whatever outlet has them.

I subscribed to the newsletter this morning. Will they send a pass code or something today? Will I be eligible for the pass code?

yes.

I had one great experience -- got 8th row in front of Alex on the SA tour through the fan presale.

But by and large, I've gotten average seats on most presales I've done -- rush, maiden, etc. Hopefully that changes tmrw.

Definitely don't feel pressured to buy anything on the presale. As BlueJ said, good tickets are always released a day or two before the show. I got 11th row for the CA tour in Seattle the day before the show.
  • Like 1

As you can probably gather from the responses, it is possible that you get better tix from presale (I once got 5th row center), but often there is no advantage. On the last few tours where they haven't guaranteed seat position at the time of sale, I've just gotten the best available in the pre-sale, tried again in the normal sale (if better, I sold the pre-sale ones) and then tried priced stubhub to see if I wanted to get better tix (and then sold the other tix). I've never lost money doing this.

I've done the fan club pre-sales for the last few tours, but not convinced hat there's a decided advantage over the public sales. Can anyone say decisively either way?

I hope so looking at the listed prices.

Ticketmaster shows the Newark show at (rounding off) $63 & $224.

The presale for subscribers has $199 & $101

It would be, if Rush didn't make it so easy to access the presale. Scalpers have computers spamming the refresh button and buying every good seat. If you get junk when you first get in, try refreshing. When I was buying for Winnipeg, I was given 16th row at first, but due to a computer problem, I had to refresh, and got 8th.

How close can you get with the most expensive tickets?

The best VIP pack guarantees a seat in rows 1-10 I believe Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Let's take the Newark venue as an example. If I just bought one of those $199 tix, where would I be sitting?

IME, it's kind of a crap shoot. You never know for sure until you get in there and start trying to get tickets.

Let's take the Newark venue as an example. If I just bought one of those $199 tix, where would I be sitting?

If those are the most expensive tickets for that show then you would probably be on the floor somewhere in the first 20-25 rows.

• Like 1

If those are the most expensive tickets for that show then you would probably be on the floor somewhere in the first 20-25 rows.

Thank you!

Yeah and that's not the best place to be. It's better to be on the side by the stage in the first, second or third section so you can see. If you get on the floor back too far all you see are heads of the people in front of you.

• Like 1

Yeah and that's not the best place to be. It's better to be on the side by the stage in the first, second or third section so you can see. If you get on the floor back too far all you see are heads of the people in front of you.

This is why I don't consider getting floor seats a top priority. At arena shows it's not a bad thing to be in the regular seats since it gives you some height and you can get a better view of everything.