Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull: A Beginners Guide

Segue Myles

There are some big Gentle Giant fans here, and quite a few fans of Jethro Tull, and I have researched both bands a little, but am stuck on where to start.

Could some of you more experienced fans please take a moment to give me a briefing on each groups discography?? I want advice as, more than any other prog bands, these two groups intimidates me.

Do not suggest I am looking for the easiest listen (I began my Yes journey with Tales, and it could not have turned it any better for me), but after all the help I had from you guys with Yes and recently Genesis, I am hoping for a bit of a push with these two bands.

I am by no means and aficionado of either GG or JT, as I do not have all of their works, but I do like both bands and have multiple discs of each. I would bet Reed Lover would have the definitive overview (or read more at his site progarchives,com; the forums there have endless discussion of their discogs)

Of course, I know JT from corporate rock radio in the US - all the "hits" are on various compilations (I have "M.U." and "Repeat" both "best of" albums). That might be a good place to start for general familiarity, then pick off the best known classic albums: Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Songs from the Wood. I also have a newer Tull effort - Roots to Branches and I like it. Interesting, strange, stuff. On a side note: I was recently introduced to a Tull live disc "Bursting out" which contained the instrumental "Conundrum" complete with Barriemore Barlow drum solo - now, I am a drummer, and a Neil Peart fan since Exit Stage Left, I was familiar with Barriemore's studio work with Tull and Yngwie Malmsteen, but I was a bit surprised at some of the similarities in drum solo approach. Barlow's use of the concert toms and double kick quads is an earlier reflection of Neil's ESL solo. I know Neil has mentioned Tull, but I haven't seen/heard him reference this solo specifically; though it appears that he quotes some of it on what many consider one of his best solos.

GG was always a bit more obscure, never really heard them in any media in the US. I have several discs, the ones that I listen to occasionally are: Octopus, and The Power and the Glory. They are really quirky, bizarre, multi-instrumentalists. I heard an echo of GG on the new Opeth album - just a small part that reminded me of GG. I suspect seeing GG play some of this live would add another dimension to my appreciation. They are not an easy listen (though I thought Tales was an immediate connection!) but they have some really interesting grooves, textures, strange melodies, sort of a British humor on some songs. I see them as more of an extension of the strangeness of Genesis and I know what I like! :D

Since you mentioned Yes and Genesis and seem to be looking for challenges, I have to recommend the Italian Prog bands Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) and Banco del Mutuo Sorcosso. I started as a big Yes fan (Including Tales!), King Crimson, and classic Genesis - years later I tried out these two Italian bands. Of course, you have to get over the Italian lyrics (I know some that can't in spite of the amazing instrumental play!). They seemed to be mirroring those British bands (and maybe a touch of Pink Floyd), but then, I learned some of their discs pre-dated some of the British discs, and I wonder who influenced who!? It is definitively the 70's prog rock sound and they have some very interesting discs (start with Per un Amico for PFM and Darwin! by Banco) and there you go - more than you wanted to know!

• Like 1

I am by no means and aficionado of either GG or JT, as I do not have all of their works, but I do like both bands and have multiple discs of each. I would bet Reed Lover would have the definitive overview (or read more at his site progarchives,com; the forums there have endless discussion of their discogs)

Of course, I know JT from corporate rock radio in the US - all the "hits" are on various compilations (I have "M.U." and "Repeat" both "best of" albums). That might be a good place to start for general familiarity, then pick off the best known classic albums: Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Songs from the Wood. I also have a newer Tull effort - Roots to Branches and I like it. Interesting, strange, stuff. On a side note: I was recently introduced to a Tull live disc "Bursting out" which contained the instrumental "Conundrum" complete with Barriemore Barlow drum solo - now, I am a drummer, and a Neil Peart fan since Exit Stage Left, I was familiar with Barriemore's studio work with Tull and Yngwie Malmsteen, but I was a bit surprised at some of the similarities in drum solo approach. Barlow's use of the concert toms and double kick quads is an earlier reflection of Neil's ESL solo. I know Neil has mentioned Tull, but I haven't seen/heard him reference this solo specifically; though it appears that he quotes some of it on what many consider one of his best solos.

GG was always a bit more obscure, never really heard them in any media in the US. I have several discs, the ones that I listen to occasionally are: Octopus, and The Power and the Glory. They are really quirky, bizarre, multi-instrumentalists. I heard an echo of GG on the new Opeth album - just a small part that reminded me of GG. I suspect seeing GG play some of this live would add another dimension to my appreciation. They are not an easy listen (though I thought Tales was an immediate connection!) but they have some really interesting grooves, textures, strange melodies, sort of a British humor on some songs. I see them as more of an extension of the strangeness of Genesis and I know what I like! :D

Since you mentioned Yes and Genesis and seem to be looking for challenges, I have to recommend the Italian Prog bands Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) and Banco del Mutuo Sorcosso. I started as a big Yes fan (Including Tales!), King Crimson, and classic Genesis - years later I tried out these two Italian bands. Of course, you have to get over the Italian lyrics (I know some that can't in spite of the amazing instrumental play!). They seemed to be mirroring those British bands (and maybe a touch of Pink Floyd), but then, I learned some of their discs pre-dated some of the British discs, and I wonder who influenced who!? It is definitively the 70's prog rock sound and they have some very interesting discs (start with Per un Amico for PFM and Darwin! by Banco) and there you go - more than you wanted to know!

That's a pretty good review of all things Tull and GG.As far as GG is concerned Cyclonus X-1 might have some more input on this subject,but Tull basically began as a blues band,and they're first two or three albums reflect this.All three are excellent records.Aqualung came then,as well as Thick As A Brick,and these two are essential listening for any Tull fan or prog fan for that matter!In the mid seventies,Tull recorded some interesting pieces,but for me ,not quite hitting the heights of previous releases.Then came three quintessential Tull records:Minstrel in the Gallery-Songs From The Wood-Heavy Horses.These three were more prog with folk music,but quite brilliant.For me they peaked at this time( Late Seventies).Live : Bursting Out is a good live document at this time.From the eighties,and onwards they're releases were strong,solid efforts,and are certainly worth investigating.Avoid Under Wraps though! Also now that dear Mr.Anderson has decided to put Jethro Tull to bed,his solo recordings have been nice but only average! Some great material to listen to though with Tull!

• Like 3

I love Jethro Tull. What got me started was greatest hits album. It featured songs like "Aqualung", "Locamotive Breath", Cross eyed Mary, Bungle In the Jungle, Thick As a Brick, Songs From the Woods, Heavy Horses.

If you want to know my favorite albums by Jethro Tull:

Thick As A Brick

Passion Play

Songs from the woods

Aqualung

Thick As A Brick 2 by Ian Anderson is very good as well

I will say that Heavy Horses is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I usually tear up a bit when I listen to it. Very powerful.

I could make recommendations but I don't like to type in these threads they're not really my style. :AlienSmiley:

So glad i asked

I could make recommendations but I don't like to type in these threads they're not really my style. :AlienSmiley:

So glad i asked

You're welcome! :hi: And hello there!

HI! its all good! I think i shall go for Octopus...

for gentle giant - get everything up to and including free hand. unlike with tull, people's favorite album by this band tends to vary a bit. so just get it all. don't get anything after free hand.

with tull, the place to start seems quite obvious. once you've listened to those two albums, go for minstrel in the gallery. then slowly pick up everything they did from 69 to 79. don't bother with the other stuff

I never really understood threads like this, either. TRF users have the absolute worst opinions on everything. I'd rather just find shit on my own

• Like 4

Huge Tull fan here, only been into GG for a few years but I really like them. I would say everything between Acquiring the Taste thru Playing the Fool is worth checking out, especially the live album and Octopus. Just try to get Advent of Panurge out of your head. Haha

Tull, wow where to start

Thick As a Brick first and foremost. It's a friggin masterpiece!!!

Aqualung

Stand Up

Minstrel in the Gallery

Bursting Out

Broadsword and the Beast

Crest of a Knave

Nothing is Easy Live

and my own personal favorite and a total dark horse, Under Wraps.

Deres Yer Tull kollksun

Love Tull. If you're a true newbie, than MU is a nice overview of the hits. As for albums to start with I recommend the following to listen to, in order. There are other incredible albums (ie A Passion Play), but these are the ones Id start with as you delve in. (this is by no means my personal ranking).

1)Aqualung - top to bottom fantastic.

2)Bursting Out -- classic live album, good overview, with condensed versions of longer classic tunes (ie Brick and Minstrel).

3)Thick as a Brick -- by this time youll be ready for this.

4)Benefit -- great early tull

5)Songs from the Wood

6)Stand Up - bluesy Tull -- Nothing is Easy!

7)Crest of a Knave -- a very solid "modern" Tull album.

8)Heavy Horses

Edited by greg2112

I can definitely advise you on Gentle Giant.

Start out with the Stephen Wilson remix of "Power and the Glory". sounds phenomenal.

Then the rest in this order:

Free Hand

In A Glass House

Three Friends

Octopus

Interview

The first two albums, Gentle Giant and Acquiring The Taste, are kind of hit and miss.

The last 3 albums they attempted to go more mainstream which was a huge fail.

Missing Piece

Giant For a Day

Civilian

• Like 2

As far as Jethro Tull goes, I would stay away from anything after "Crest of a Knave" which was 1985 I believe. Of those albums that came before that, for a first time Tull listener, I would recommend staying away from.

"A" - A decent album, but not really the traditional Tull sound because of Eddie Jobson

"Under Wraps" - Only a die-hard Tull fan can appreciate this one. Again, not their traditional sound.

I highly recommend the following Tull stuff for a first time listener...

"Thick as a Brick"

"Aqualung"

"Minstrel in the Gallery"

"Broadsword and the Beast"

"Songs from the Wood"

As far as Jethro Tull goes, I would stay away from anything after "Crest of a Knave" which was 1985 I believe. Of those albums that came before that, for a first time Tull listener, I would recommend staying away from.

"A" - A decent album, but not really the traditional Tull sound because of Eddie Jobson

"Under Wraps" - Only a die-hard Tull fan can appreciate this one. Again, not their traditional sound.

I highly recommend the following Tull stuff for a first time listener...

"Thick as a Brick"

"Aqualung"

"Minstrel in the Gallery"

"Broadsword and the Beast"

"Songs from the Wood"

I would definitely recommend Stand Up, Benefit, Warchild and A Passion Play before Broadsword.

• Like 1

On GG Ive only really listened to Octopus and one or two other albums a while back but enjoyed it. The only song I still listen to though is A Cry for Everyone. LOVE that tune still

As for Tull they are one of my top 5 bands. I didn't really give GG a fair chance though..