The Goldbergs

Lost In Xanadu

Was cool. Especially since they made the character a school band member just like a few guys in my high school. Not sure which shirts they were although the first if I remember correctly was clearly emblazoned with RUSH. I believe Erica looked at the shirts in all 3 scenes so I don't know if there was dialogue edited out or if that was done as a little tease to Rush fans, you know sitting at home going 'mention the band.... ooohhh :( .'

I doubt they'll get more mention on the show then that.

Well in episode 2 of season 3 that aired this week a minor character had 3 speaking scenes and wore a different Rush shirt in each. Clearly Adam Goldberg or one of the writers is a fan.

Yeah, I saw that on the last episode. They usually focus on pop culture stuff from the 80s. That's why I didn't think Rush would get mentioned on it too much. Well, they weren't actually mentioned in the episode. If you weren't paying attention to the shirts the kid was wearing then you would have never noticed that something Rush related was in the show.

Still was pretty cool to see though.

I'm a regular fan of the show. The kid with the Rush t-shirts has reappeared in a few episodes, and continues to always wear a Rush shirt. The band name WAS mentioned in an earlier episode: Tim Meadows (ex-SNL) plays a guidance counselor who has a Rush poster on his office wall. ("It's like my posters say: 'reach for the stars,' 'hang in there,' and that's the band Rush, because I'm the cool guidance counselor who shows up at the high school basketball games in a casual polo.")

And stop the presses! There's an episode coming later this season with "Rush" as the episode title! With several Rush references on the show already, I can only guess that this episode will feature Rush in an even BIGGER way.

• Like 2

The Rush guy was in the newest episode. Wearing AFTK shirt that looks just like one I used to have. I didn't think he would actually show up like he does when we first saw him. As a Rush fan it's cool to see.

The show brings back a lot of great memories of me being a kid in the 80s. I've also learned to not take the timeline of events as seriously. The show is more of a cluster of what went on back then rather than being about the correct year and order of events.

• Like 1

The Rush guy was in the newest episode. Wearing AFTK shirt that looks just like one I used to have. I didn't think he would actually show up like he does when we first saw him. As a Rush fan it's cool to see.

The show brings back a lot of great memories of me being a kid in the 80s. I've also learned to not take the timeline of events as seriously. The show is more of a cluster of what went on back then rather than being about the correct year and order of events.

Yeah I'm a stickler for timeline, there was an episode where they were rapping like Vanilla Ice and talking about We are the World, and I went ...sort of like 7 years apart...Having lived it, I get pissed on the timeline thing. But I'm a perfectionist for as much shit that gets dumped on the 80's for.

But I understand the casual and younger audience were not there and they can lump it all in together.

Yeah I'm a stickler for timeline, there was an episode where they were rapping like Vanilla Ice and talking about We are the World, and I went ...sort of like 7 years apart...Having lived it, I get pissed on the timeline thing. But I'm a perfectionist for as much shit that gets dumped on the 80's for.

But I understand the casual and younger audience were not there and they can lump it all in together.

The show isn't made to be linear. It's about the 80s as a whole. Adam Goldberg didn't want to be constricted by dates when telling his stories. Who knows when a show is going to get cancelled? He wasn't going to wait to use a particular event because it doesn't fit the timeline of another event. When you reminisce do you do it linearly or just let your thoughts develop, going from one memory to another? And in case a sports fan is upset by some of the facts used on the show, Adam doesn't really care about them and purposely gets them wrong to bug his sports fan brother.

The show isn't made to be linear. It's about the 80s as a whole. Adam Goldberg didn't want to be constricted by dates when telling his stories. Who knows when a show is going to get cancelled? He wasn't going to wait to use a particular event because it doesn't fit the timeline of another event. When you reminisce do you do it linearly or just let your thoughts develop, going from one memory to another? And in case a sports fan is upset by some of the facts used on the show, Adam doesn't really care about them and purposely gets them wrong to bug his sports fan brother.

Well, i've learned to accept that the timeline of events isn't accurate. But as I said on the first page, I have an issue when they act like things are happening at the same time when they weren't even close to one another. The episode with Reagan's re-election and america's funniest videos is the biggest one. The election was in 1985 while america's funniest videos didn't come along until the end of 1989 and they played if off like both events were going on at roughly at the same time.

I don't mind them playing a bit loose with the timeline but a four year gap is pretty big and at least for that particular episode is tough to ignore.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Well, i've learned to accept that the timeline of events isn't accurate. But as I said on the first page, I have an issue when they act like things are happening at the same time when they weren't even close to one another. The episode with Reagan's re-election and america's funniest videos is the biggest one. The election was in 1985 while america's funniest videos didn't come along until the end of 1989 and they played if off like both events were going on at roughly at the same time.

I don't mind them playing a bit loose with the timeline but a four year gap is pretty big and at least for that particular episode is tough to ignore.

They can at least ATTEMPT a time line for those of us that lived it.

But it's a sitcom and most viewers just want a laugh. Plot accuracy is way down the list of importance.

My better 1/2 and I loved the :rush: episode tonight. Lovely went out of her skin when Erica was wearing the same Caress of Steel shirt she has. She also looked up the vintage Signals Jersey (which was also worn by Erica as a tee) It was $100 USD. wOw I think the boys should start making more shirts :LOL: Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 3

That was a real fun episode. I never thought the Rush guy was gonna stick around like this when he first appeared on the show. Loved the reactions to Tom Sawyer. It was funny seeing them do the cover at the end, the girl couldn't even hit the notes as high as Geddy could :LOL:

Rich White kids in the 80's...Yeah, we all hated them

While the Goldbergs were playing hockey, buying guitars and having HUGE birthday parties...

We were all working at Burger King, to save up enough money to go see Rush.

Thanks for rubbing it in Goldberg.

BTW- THIS Is what the 1980's were really like