The Goldbergs

Lost In Xanadu

I have to admit, this show is one of my favorite comedies on tv right now. If you grew up in the '80s and have any fond memories, this show has a way of hitting them.

The thing I really love about this show is the fact it is based off of actual home videos the youngest kid took while growing up. At the end of each episode, they show actual home movie clips that the episode was based on... funny and heartwarming all rolled into one.

http://abcallaccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/PHOTO-showsheet_Goldbergs_Couch-1280.jpg

• Like 1

I have to admit, this show is one of my favorite comedies on tv right now. If you grew up in the '80s and have any fond memories, this show has a way of hitting them.

The thing I really love about this show is the fact it is based off of actual home videos the youngest kid took while growing up. At the end of each episode, they show actual home movie clips that the episode was based on... funny and heartwarming all rolled into one.

http://abcallaccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/PHOTO-showsheet_Goldbergs_Couch-1280.jpg

We like it too. I agree with the nostalgia element for those of us of a certain age. I also think its very well written, in contrast to The McCarthys, which my family should love, but which is horribly written. And acted.

We like it too. I agree with the nostalgia element for those of us of a certain age. I also think its very well written, in contrast to The McCarthys, which my family should love, but which is horribly written. And acted.

I've never seen that one, but I was worried The Goldbergs was going to rely on nostalgia like That 80's Show - a terrible attempt after the success of That 70's Show. That show was like a tired Andy Richter comedy bit...

http://cdn.teamcococdn.com/image/1000x1000,scale:max/0592_comedy_1_1-53acd1f928f42.jpeg

I was born in 1978, so the 80s was my childhood and I love this show. It brings back so many fun memories from when I was a kid. A funny show that is very well written and acted. It makes me wish I had my old Transformer toys and original Nintendo again.

I was born in 1978, so the 80s was my childhood and I love this show. It brings back so many fun memories from when I was a kid. A funny show that is very well written and acted. It makes me wish I had my old Transformer toys and original Nintendo again.

I have my Atari 2600, SNES.. .and a ton of original Star Wars and Transformer stuff. The prize in my collection is all of the original Dinobots :)

Rush was mentioned on the show today :)

I caught that. I did a double take and asked my wife if he said "Rush."

yeah, even showed a poster! :)

That Rush poster was from the 70s though. I doubt they'll get more mention on the show then that. They had success in the 80s but they were never pop culture or a household name.

As much as I like this show, I do have some issues with their timelines in the stories. Like the one episode where Adam and Barry are making a video for America's Funniest Home Videos and Bev and Erica get caught up in the campaign leading to Reagan being elected to a second term. Reagan's re-election happened a number of years before AFHV started. They portrayed it like both of these things were going on at the same time. I know they play loose with the story because at the beginning the narrator always says "1980 something" but they should at least put events together on the show that happened close to each other. I've noticed it a few other times as well but none of them has as big of a timeline gap as that story.

It's a minor gripe, I know. The show is still great.

• Like 1

Excellent, this thread reminded me to check Amazon Prime for more episodes, it looks like a handful I haven't seen are available. Including a Rush reference for the May 6th episode!

I've never seen the show but Jeff Garland or whatever his name is is a huge Cub fan, so there's that.

I've never seen the show but Jeff Garland or whatever his name is is a huge Cub fan, so there's that.

This show takes place in a suburb of Philadelphia in the 80s so his character on the show is a huge Eagles, Flyers and Phillies fan.

Jeff Garland is funny as hell though. Anybody ever seen Curb Your Enthusiasm? He was great in that.

• Like 1

This show takes place in a suburb of Philadelphia in the 80s so his character on the show is a huge Eagles, Flyers and Phillies fan.

Jeff Garland is funny as hell though. Anybody ever seen Curb Your Enthusiasm? He was great in that.

I don't pay for HBO but if reruns ever get to free TV I'd love to watch it.

I don't have HBO either and reruns of that show on free TV can't happen without editing the language. There are plenty of ways to watch it. Having HBO has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

I don't have HBO either and reruns of that show on free TV can't happen without editing the language. There are plenty of ways to watch it. Having HBO has nothing to do with it.

Holy crap, that show was great. The first few seasons especially. I cannot remember laughing as hard as I did during the Restaurant opening episode... the chef with Tourette's

• Like 1

I doubt they'll get more mention on the show then that.

Well in episode 2 of season 3 that aired this week a minor character had 3 speaking scenes and wore a different Rush shirt in each. Clearly Adam Goldberg or one of the writers is a fan.

Yeah, I saw that on the last episode. They usually focus on pop culture stuff from the 80s. That's why I didn't think Rush would get mentioned on it too much. Well, they weren't actually mentioned in the episode. If you weren't paying attention to the shirts the kid was wearing then you would have never noticed that something Rush related was in the show.

Still was pretty cool to see though.