JACOB'S LADDER - Why it must be in the 2015 tour setlist

dtpoet

Jacob's Ladder was last played live over 34 years ago. Of those songs that have never been played or have been rarely played live, Jacob's Ladder is one of the most desired songs by the fans. The following are the listed reasons why Jacob's ladder must be a partof the 2015 tour setlist.

(1) IT IS A CLASSIC

Every tour, JL is among those songs that fns most anticipate seeing. Arenas around the country will explode upon the first few notes. For the diehard pre-Signals crowd, this epic will bring euphoria like no other. Without doubt, JL will be one of the most memorable moments from the show.

(2) EASY ON GEDDY'S VOCALS

Facts can not deny that our "heroes" are now in their sixties. While their physical skills are still way beyond those of their contemporaries, the grind of a tour wears quicker on the body than in the past. Jacob's Ladder is over seven minutes long, yet it is mostly instrumental. This will allow Geddy's vocals to rest a bit.

In addition, the vocals are sung in a lower key than most the songs from that era. With the limited vocals contained within the song and since it is sung in a lower register, one can argue that Jacob's Ladder is the best candidate to be performed from the pre-Signals era.

(3) BREAKS WITHIN THE INSTRUMENTAL FOR NEIL AND ALEX

Along same lines as (2) above, there is a section of the song of a little over a minute (3:49 - 4:54 on the recorded version) where it is mainly Geddy playing keyboards and singing ("All at once the clouds are parted. Light streams down in bright, unbroken beams"). While Alex and Neil still may have parts within that section, it is minimal as far as pounding drums or playing notes on the guitar. This offers both of them an opportunity of a break within the song. These breaks within songs are extremely rare for any other Rush song especially the length such a break would involve.

(4) SOME EASIER BASS SECTIONS FOR GEDDY

While the bass does have it moments during Jacon's Ladder, there are at least a couple of sections when the bass is carrying the rhythm only. With the addition of keyboard only sections, this gives Geddy a bit of break.

(5) OPPORTUNITY FOR NEW AND CREATIVE LIGHT.VIDEO SHOW

Setlists from tour to tour contain many of the same songs. That is all well and good as some are classics, but usually the same video/light show goes along with those songs. Jacon's Ladder offers the part of teh team and chance to create something spectacular and memorable. For example, there can be lighting to resemble to thunder at the beginning sections. There can be bright beams oflight to resemble sunlight in the middle section. There can be maybe video to show "man" reflecting upon the "heavens". IDK. I'm just offering up something new and different. Use your own imagination. Maybe the during the "bright, unbroken beams", the audience can cast smartphone flashlight beams in sync from upward descending down toward the stage.

These are just some the reasons I can come up with as to why Jacon's Ladder must be in the setlist. Perhaps you can think of more.

Edited by dtpoet
  • Like 12

The fact that Geddy can sing it, gives it a better chance of being heard. 1980 and back will see precious few slots in the set. He said himself it's just too much for him to sing the older stuff.

Are you wiling to have JL over La Villa or 2112 O/T? Because, chances are, if JL goes in the set, one of those is out.

Wouldn't bother me, but for some, those 2 are sacred......

The fact that Geddy can sing it, gives it a better chance of being heard. 1980 and back will see precious few slots in the set. He said himself it's just too much for him to sing the older stuff.

Are you wiling to have JL over La Villa or 2112 O/T? Because, chances are, if JL goes in the set, one of those is out.

I would rather have Ladder than 2112, but if LVS was out I would say no.

I doubt they wont play 2112, but if they had to switch one out, it would be LVS

The OP does make some good points on why it should be played. But the crowd would not explode if they did it. When was the last time Rush did a non hit/deep cut that got a huge crowd reaction? Unfortunately, most people would just sit there looking dumb while they play it. Maybe it depends on what town they're playing in, but if it's not a hit the crowd won't explode for it.

I remember that they rehearsed the song for the Time Machine tour but it ended up being dropped. I think Neil said in an interview that something about it wasn't sounding right, so they decided not to play it. Maybe the band just doesn't have any feeling for the song anymore. I would rather have them play a song they're into than play a song they don't care for anymore just because it's easy on Geddy's voice and the diehards want to hear it.

• Like 1

It's a hardly a classic but a great song nonetheless. I'm sure there'd be a few people at shows that wouldn't be super familiar with it if they played it.

I've always thought it would be challenging for them to play but certainly not past there ability. If they can do The Camera Eye they can do Jacob's Ladder :)

And......this is big. Cause if ole Neil Doesn't like the song he will play it like absolute shit.........see Bangkok on Snakes live, lol

putting that out there.

Mick

I was thinking the same thing. And when you consider the weird time signature during the last segment of JL with snare hits seemingly coming at random (i'm no drummer) I can see him having a little hesitation with playing this tune.

• Like 1

It's a hardly a classic but a great song nonetheless. I'm sure there'd be a few people at shows that wouldn't be super familiar with it if they played it.

I've always thought it would be challenging for them to play but certainly not past there ability. If they can do The Camera Eye they can do Jacob's Ladder :)

It's definitely a classic. Opinions aside, man, Jacob's Ladder is an absolute classic and a Rush deep track at the same time. It's one of those tunes I can put on at work that no one knows what it is but by the time it's over a few of them have asked about it. In a good way.

It doesn't matter what Rush thinks about the song. Who buys their stuff? We do.

It's time for Jacob's Ladder.

It's time for the full length Xanadu.

It's time for The Weapon.

And I highly doubt that the fans in the audience will sit there like a bunch of zombies.

• Like 4

Very few I would hope....
  • Like 2

Who cares if they don't get a huge reaction, they should still play it for our old school fans who want it!

I've made some of the same points as the OP about it on here; Easy to sing, easy to play etc.. I'm really surprised they haven't pulled it back out yet.. And oh ya, and leave LVS in the set too!!!!!!!!

Edited by MMCXII

It doesn't matter what Rush thinks about the song. Who buys their stuff? We do.

It's time for Jacob's Ladder.

It's time for the full length Xanadu.

It's time for The Weapon.

And I highly doubt that the fans in the audience will sit there like a bunch of zombies.

It doesn't matter what we think about the song. Who plays it. Rush will do. I'm sure.

It's time for the time machine. Invent the damn thing.

And I highly doubt that I wouldn't stand and kick, every zombie at every Rush show, ever played. :smoke:

Don't hold your breath.

They've had JL ready no less than 3 times and each time it's been vetoed.

How can Alex get vetoed more than twice? I thought two against one wasn't fair!! Poor soft hearted Al.. It's supposed to be HIS band Dammit!!

• Like 1