Geddy's voice and the possibility of a new singer?

Different Circles

I still think it's a little stubborn of Geddy to try and sing every song as it is on the recording, and 86ing it from a live set just cause he can't hit a couple high notes. He's a creative vocal melody writer, and I think he could find new ways to sing old songs and still keep the spirit of the song intact. Drop a couple parts down an octave or whatever. There's some songs from the mid 70's that they could pull off, and all that Geddy has to do is change the way he sings a few syllables. I know that the boys are perfectionists, but I'd rather just hear them play the songs, it doesn't matter if they are identical to how they sound on a record that came out 40 years ago.

As for the actual topic of the thread.... seriously? New singer? Good lord, thats rediculous.

This / tone it down however necessary. Or.. hire Meat Loaf :)

Meatloaf, I really enjoy all of his hit.. :D

(Almost says "shit" at the end of that sentence.. Fitting lol)

Seriously if this this ever happened imagine how Ged would feel up there on the same stage with his impersonator..

It would NEVER happen. If it did, it would be a one-off show after they retire and the singer would be a friend of the band.

Remember when they were on top of the world and were thinking of adding a keyboard player? It didn't happen for a reason. And they're going to destroy their holy triple threat legacy this late in the game? That would look too much like a novelty act catering to the old stuff, and we know how our boys feel about that!

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

I think Geddy still sings pretty damn good live. If he were to hand off the vocal duties to someone else, he probably couldn't play half the songs on bass without screwing them up since his playing is based on playing the bass and vocals simultaneously. One thing they could consider is getting like two female and one male multi-instrumentalists that could play violins and cellos on some songs (like CA songs and Losing It), and then switch to supporting vocal arrangements on some of the older material and even newer stuff. This could be pretty powerful and not take away anything from Geddy’s singing, only enhance it.

I agree with your sentiments, but I don't think Geddy would screw up the basslines because he wasn't singing :LOL:

This is the stupidest idea I have ever heard! You can´t replace Geddy! Rush is not Rush whitout Geddy, Alex and Neil (maybe Rutsey), and I would stop listen to them right away if they replaced someone! I rather see them quit then replace!

Totally agree, too.

This is the stupidest idea I have ever heard! You can´t replace Geddy! Rush is not Rush whitout Geddy, Alex and Neil (maybe Rutsey), and I would stop listen to them right away if they replaced someone! I rather see them quit then replace!

Totally agree, too.

I won't speak for everyone but I wouldn't stand for anyone being "replaced" either. I didn't think thats what we were talking about however. Oh well....

From the initial post in the thread:

how about the guys search for a young Geddy singer replacement for the touring at least?

This is why I thought it was what we were talking about.

how about the guys search for a young Geddy singer replacement for the touring at least?

Me too. I thought that was the whole point of the thread.

Me too. I thought that was the whole point of the thread.

We're just talking about replacing the singer of Rush, there's no way we're replacing the bass player. As for the keyboard player, Ya upgrade him too :)

Now Rush is a 5 piece! :P

..I'm kidding of course. Long live the holy trinity!!!!

Edited by MMCXII

A new singer is as likely as them opening with Welcome to the Jungle. Edited by Snyder80
  • Like 1

All because some want to hear some of the older songs? Really? Let me ask you this - are those old classics really "Rush" with someone else singing them and not Geddy? IMO - not even close even if the three are playing the music.

All or nothing.

As for the all instrumental idea - ridiculous. The lyrics, the melody, the voice are one of the attractions for me. I probably wouldn't buy an all instrumental CD. Boring.

• Like 1

All because some want to hear some of the older songs? Really? Let me ask you this - are those old classics really "Rush" with someone else singing them and not Geddy? IMO - not even close even if the three are playing the music.

All or nothing.

As for the all instrumental idea - ridiculous. The lyrics, the melody, the voice are one of the attractions for me. I probably wouldn't buy an all instrumental CD. Boring.

I'm with you all the way, especially about the instrumental idea. I'm not interested at all. Rush is Rush, not Ferrante and Teicher.

There are ways they could get around his vocal issues in concert should they choose to use them. They've used backing tracks for years and years already, and that's never been a problem. But on the other hand, I'm not sure how Geddy would feel about kind of "cheating" with his vocals.

There are ways they could get around his vocal issues in concert should they choose to use them. They've used backing tracks for years and years already, and that's never been a problem. But on the other hand, I'm not sure how Geddy would feel about kind of "cheating" with his vocals.

I would never implicitly trust anything electronic. Can you imagine the horror and the humiliation if anything ever failed? I'd rather have him singing and me wincing than him relying on backing tracks.

• Like 1

I would never implicitly trust anything electronic. Can you imagine the horror and the humiliation if anything ever failed? I'd rather have him singing and me wincing than him relying on backing tracks.

Well sure, anything COULD happen. It was just a thought.

Well, they already down tune a couple of songs....why not play EVERYTHING a half-step down from the present keys?

it would be barely noticeable live but would greatly ease Geddys vocal job......many singers out there have extended their bands careers by doing this.

• Like 4

Tried to watch CA live DVD.

Geddy's voice starts giving up after 3 songs :(

He really needs to relax his vocal delivery.

Geddy with voice/vocal training when younger would have been phenomenal.

Edited by thirteen