No contest. This is the best prog song ever made!

Detonator

If we forget the "corporate" prog rock Rush, Floyd and Genesis and just concentrate on the "traditional prog" there are lots of great bands and unbelievable songs.

Mike Oldfield has some prog masterpieces, like Ommadawn, King Crimson¨s Red is almost perfect album... and Starless is one of the best prog songs ever. Yes' Close to the Edge and live version of Starship Trooper (Keys to Ascension) are close to the title. And what about Alan Parsons' Tales of Mystery and Imagination... great stuff.

But in the end of the day there must be only one song that raises above everything... Camel's Lady Fantasy.

This song is closest to PERFECT progressive rock song ever made. It's just SO amazing.

It's powerful, has heavenly guitar, incredible melody, almost "ghostly" atmosphere and very "touching" finish.

Of course this is my subjective opinion only. But I've went through almost all meaningful prog bands and I have never heard anything better. This song is soo good, it brings a tear to my eye.

Discuss. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhWDbdS-vjg

Edited by Detonator
  • Like 2

Close to the Edge is probably the best prog rock ALBUM, but the title song isn't quite as good as Lady Fantasy, imho.

And of course Supper's Ready and even 2112 rival this but I wanted to leave the "corporate pigs" out of this. :D

Edited by Detonator
  • Like 1

If we forget the "corporate" prog rock Rush, Floyd and Genesis and just concentrate on the "traditional prog" there are lots of great bands and unbelievable songs.

Mike Oldfield has some prog masterpieces, like Ommadawn, King Crimson¨s Red is almost perfect album... and Starless is one of the best prog songs ever. Yes' Close to the Edge and live version of Starship Trooper (Keys to Ascension) are close to the title. And what about Alan Parsons' Tales of Mystery and Imagination... great stuff.

But in the end of the day there must be only one song that raises above everything... Camel's Lady Fantasy.

This song is closest to PERFECT progressive rock song ever made. It's just SO amazing.

It's powerful, has heavenly guitar, incredible melody, almost "ghostly" atmosphere and very "touching" finish.

Of course this is my subjective opinion only. But I've went through almost all meaningful prog bands and I have never heard anything better. This song is soo good, it brings a tear to my eye.

Discuss. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhWDbdS-vjg

Camel is one of the greatest bands on the planet. Sadly in my opinion once they added the fukking saxophone the band was starting to go downhill.

It's like the same shit with Queensryche. Once Geoff TAINT started to blow hard on that lame ass saxophone in the band it was OVER.

No wonder Chris DeGarmo left. Fuckking arrogant fruitcake playing the sax in a progressive metal band.

Lady Fantasy is certainly one of Camel's top five songs,but for me Lunar Sea is the bees knees! When it comes to the best prog song i always vote for Genesis/SUPPER'S READY,but as you asked for something that doesn't incorporate the " big three",I'd choose Fracture by King Crimson.Intense to the core! Roll-calls to for ELP/Tarkus,and Gentle Giant/Proclamation.

PROG RULES!!!

• Like 1

Starless is the absolute PINNACLE of King Crimson's career, imho.

It's what Stairway is to Zep... or Paranoid to Sabbath... or Bohemian Rhapsody to Queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7hWAfbI28

Edited by Detonator
  • Like 1

Starless is the absolute PINNACLE of King Crimson's career, imho.

It's what Stairway is to Zep... or Paranoid to Sabbath... or Bohemian Rhapsody to Queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7hWAfbI28

NICE!

King Crimson are/were such an awesome band,but for me the Bruford-Cross-Fripp-Wetton line up were just magnificent! Studio releases were v.good,but they're live stuff they have released (and there's loads of it!) is amazing!!!

• Like 1

I don't think Camel have ever been under-rated by Prog Fans. They were very succesful in their time.

Now PFM are a band I believe were very underated.

Have only recently found PFM,and sure a an ace band.The album Chocolate Kings is superb!

Sadly in my opinion once they added the fukking saxophone the band was starting to go downhill.

It's like the same shit with Queensryche. Once Geoff TAINT started to blow hard on that lame ass saxophone in the band it was OVER.

Luckily that never happened with DT and "Another Day"'s Kenny G moments.

Sadly in my opinion once they added the fukking saxophone the band was starting to go downhill.

LOL! True.

LOL! True.

Unless you're in Supertramp or Van Der Graaf Generator, the sax should stay the f**k outta RAWK!