The Police: One Of The Greatest Bands In The World? Klerk Kant? Andy Summers? Sting Shit? Love It Or Hate It? "ZENYATTA" IS EPIC! Copland Rules

RUSHHEAD666

Stewart Copeland and Neil Peart are arguably two of the most influential rock drummers of all time. Stewart does a lot more intricate hi hat work and is more reggae influenced. He was very "innovative" when the first Police recordings came out. They are two of my favourite drummers, but I would label Copeland as more "tasteful" for lack of a better word.
  • Like 1

There is a technical answer to your question, Lorraine but it comes down to a different approach to the instrument. It's like mowing the grass. Some people will use a push mower, some people will use a riding mower. Some will mow diagonally while others go horizontally or vertically. Some will get out there with a pair of scissors and trim the grass. All will get the job done but it's a matter of approach.

i know you posted this on Saturday. I tried in vain to see it, but no matter what I did, when I clicked on the thread, the last post it showed was mine. Only after Syrinx posted was I able to see your post.

• Like 1

There is a technical answer to your question, Lorraine but it comes down to a different approach to the instrument. It's like mowing the grass. Some people will use a push mower, some people will use a riding mower. Some will mow diagonally while others go horizontally or vertically. Some will get out there with a pair of scissors and trim the grass. All will get the job done but it's a matter of approach.

i know you posted this on Saturday. I tried in vain to see it, but no matter what I did, when I clicked on the thread, the last post it showed was mine. Only after Syrinx posted was I able to see your post.

That's bizarre.

I really appreciate Neil Peart and Stewart Copeland being on the same list of top Drummers of all time. Usually NP being in the top 3 and SC somewhere 8-15th

Certainly I would choose NP at #1 but SC is my favorite #2 influence... I believe SC is truly underrated.

All 3 are underrated. Summers is a highly accomplished guitarist with unique sounds . Sting has proven himself all around and has played with some of the finest musicians on the planet and a great bass player.

The police are not for everyone- alot of egotism issues with the band. but man those 3 are arguably the second best rock trio ever..

Plus they recorded at LeStudio Morin Heights- had to add that...

• Like 2

Really liked them back in the day when they were together. Synchronicity came out and that's when they soured with me. Just too much 'every breath you take' pop drivel. As time goes on, they become more and more uninteresting. They overplayed the faux raggae "ayyy o" stuff. Stewart and Andy are great players, but I struggle to think of anything significant they've done in the past 30 years.

Really liked them back in the day when they were together. Synchronicity came out and that's when they soured with me. Just too much 'every breath you take' pop drivel. As time goes on, they become more and more uninteresting. They overplayed the faux raggae "ayyy o" stuff. Stewart and Andy are great players, but I struggle to think of anything significant they've done in the past 30 years.

I wouldn't call "Every Breath You Take" pop drivel. It's a pretty dark song about a stalker.

Also, I think we need to keep in mind that "significant" accomplishments are relative to being in one of the biggest bands of all time. Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers continue to be creative and prolific musicians. You just have to mingle in those circles.

• Like 1

They haven't done anything significant since 1984...because that's when their last studio album came out!

Sting's solo stuff for me was cool up to Brand New Day (1999), but he seems rather uninspired for quite some time now.

They haven't done anything significant since 1984...because that's when their last studio album came out!

Sting's solo stuff for me was cool up to Brand New Day (1999), but he seems rather uninspired for quite some time now.

I'm only into his solo stuff up until his 3rd album, The Soul Cages. What is it about the number 3? The first 3 Phil Collins albums? Bowie's Berlin trilogy? Neil Young's Ditch Trilogy? Trilogy by ELP? What is the deal with the number 3?

3 members of the Police. :)

Theres nothing of the sort on that album. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call The King of Pain "pop drivel.

• Like 1

Synchronicity rules, nothing else sounds like it. It's like halfway between early U2 and 80s Rush or something with the classic Police Reggae thrown in every once in a while, idk.
  • Like 4

Theres nothing of the sort on that album. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call The King of Pain "pop drivel.

:goodone:
  • Like 2

Synchronicity rules, nothing else sounds like it. It's like halfway between early U2 and 80s Rush or something with the classic Police Reggae thrown in every once in a while, idk.

I love that album. My favorite of theirs.

• Like 1

I love that album. My favorite of theirs.

It all came together for them on Synchronicity.
  • Like 1

King of Pain is one of my alltime favorite songs by anyone
  • Like 2

if you think they over did the ayyy o stuff.... live now it was almost too much for me.

King of Pain is one of my alltime favorite songs by anyone

Me too.

• Like 1