Rush In Rio on blu ray

YYZumbi

I am right now watching Rush In Rio on blu ray, and I must say it's a improvement. Still their worst video if we look at the mixing, but it's better now then earlier, and I don't get a headache now when I watch it.

But I am curious, how did they fix the video so much better? I thought they only had low quality cameras on Neil, but now it's HD, how is that possible?

I can understand better how they fixed the sound.

So those that said it's still not watch-able, how can you say that?

i am confused because i am read some bad reviews about this upgrade, but anyway i can't get my hand on this unless i buy the whole thing, so i will never know... I know that you can upgrade picture quality of old videos with the new technology by cleaning up the picture with more vivid colors and by removing grainy spots. They probably add more pixels... i am not a expert.

I am right now watching Rush In Rio on blu ray, and I must say it's a improvement. Still their worst video if we look at the mixing, but it's better now then earlier, and I don't get a headache now when I watch it.

But I am curious, how did they fix the video so much better? I thought they only had low quality cameras on Neil, but now it's HD, how is that possible?

I can understand better how they fixed the sound.

So those that said it's still not watch-able, how can you say that?

i am confused because i am read some bad reviews about this upgrade, but anyway i can't get my hand on this unless i buy the whole thing, so i will never know... I know that you can upgrade picture quality of old videos with the new technology by cleaning up the picture with more vivid colors and by removing grainy spots. They probably add more pixels... i am not a expert.

The original video was compressed to fit on one DVD. Most likely they just returned to the source material and re-rendered/re-authored from there.

• Like 2

The problem with Rio on blu-ray is that (I'm pretty sure) it was shot on video and not film, so much of it only exists in 4:3 instead of 16:9. I have the blu-ray from the R40 box set and the video quality was pretty bad from what I recall. Haven't watched it in a long time, though.

I have watched many times both DVD and Blu-Ray and I can confirm that there's not a single improvement with the Blu-Ray over the DVD.

Isn't the Blu Ray in widescreen? The DVD plays in the middle of my screen.

It is, but they do that by chopping off the top and bottom of some of the shots that were recorded on video. It's imperfect, but there's nothing they can do about it. I don't know if Rio exists as a standalone blu-ray release, but if it does, I wouldn't buy it to replace your DVD. I certainly wouldn't buy the R40 box set just to get the Rio blu-ray. (That said, it's worth buying for the other extra stuff.)

Isn't the Blu Ray in widescreen? The DVD plays in the middle of my screen.

It is, but they do that by chopping off the top and bottom of some of the shots that were recorded on video. It's imperfect, but there's nothing they can do about it. I don't know if Rio exists as a standalone blu-ray release, but if it does, I wouldn't buy it to replace your DVD. I certainly wouldn't buy the R40 box set just to get the Rio blu-ray. (That said, it's worth buying for the other extra stuff.)

Unfortunately for me, The Test For Echo footage and maybe one or two the clips were the only things I didn't have so I had to reluctantly get it.

The R40 box is a pretty good value for someone who didn't have any of that previously though.

I have the regular dvd of rush in rio and I have never had any problems with it. To me I kinda expect something played live to have bad audio but since it's not a cam-corder quality normal rush in rio is a huge step up in quality

also speaking of vapor trails era stuff is it just me or the remixed version of vapor trails worse, personally I enjoy the original mix so much better

• Like 1

I have the regular dvd of rush in rio and I have never had any problems with it. To me I kinda expect something played live to have bad audio but since it's not a cam-corder quality normal rush in rio is a huge step up in quality

also speaking of vapor trails era stuff is it just me or the remixed version of vapor trails worse, personally I enjoy the original mix so much better

I don't have a problem with the DVD at all. It's the CD's that really bother me. I absolutely prefer the original Vapor Trails mix.

• Like 1

Not directly related (well, sort of), if I had to pick one show, of the thousands that Rush did, to go back and attend, it would be Rush in Rio. The emotion of the fans sometimes drives me to tears (well, at least well-up!)
  • Like 5

Not directly related (well, sort of), if I had to pick one show, of the thousands that Rush did, to go back and attend, it would be Rush in Rio. The emotion of the fans sometimes drives me to tears (well, at least well-up!)

I

In spite of all of the obstacles, it remains one of the best shows they ever recorded.

I would go back to see the show that I saw where they made Exit Stage Left because I could see at least the one hour I can't remember when watching the video.
  • Like 1