Who here does NOT hate Hold Your Fire?

fraroc

In reality there is no such thing as a bad Rush album, some are just less awesome than others.

I mock albums and songs here in the forums in jest. The quote above is my attitude as well...except for the first album with Rutsy that is garbage.

;)

And as much as I'm in love with the album, I don't mean this in a derogatory way at all...but 'farty' bass and another description of certain keyboard sounds during the synth era (which was being discussed in another thread recently) have made me think that maybe the musician credit inside the album notes should be redone to read:

Geddy Lee- Vocals, bass farts, and woobedee woobedees.

:LOL:

I do not believe that Lee programs the woobedee woobedees. Those are done by techie keyboard guys like Roopert Hind and is it Andy Richardson or something like that. All Lee does is hit the right key at the right time. And just to be clear, the bass farts are not like extended farts, just little escaping gas bubbles—little "blap" noises—sort of like duck farts underwater.

I listened to Hold Your Fire for the first time in a while yesterday, then "Show of Hands" on the way home.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the album. I know it gets criticized for the abundance of keyboards, but it certainly takes me back to a time and place.

"Time Stand Still" has always been a wonderful song., and it benefits from the "heavier" feel when they play it live.

I like it less now than I did then. Turn the Page doesn't hold up for me these days. Mission got better, though. Following this line...How do they impress me today compared to original release?

Force Ten - same. Fun song...especially live

Time Stand Still - even better...Rang true upon release, and touches me more with every year that passes. "Freeze this moment..." indeed.

Open Secrets - like it more...Was a bit of a skipper for me back in the day...Would be fun to hear it live, with heavier sound.

Second Nature - still love it...I am an altruist and believe in the human spirit to a fault...a good quality for someone in education, I suppose. I also like RUSH's less busy songs. A nice break from the barrage of sounds put forth throughout HYF.

Edited by goose

(Continued)...How do they impress me today compared to original release?

Prime Mover - less...a pretty uneven song musically, and the actual lyrics don't really live up to the potential of the subject matter. Anaimate strikes me the same way, lyrically.

Lock and Key - same...a skipper then and a skipper now...from the opening vocals this song just doesn't work for me.

Mission - more...a song that is perfect for live performance...having seen it live, those chills return when I hear the studio version now. Upon release, I would skip ahead half way through to get to...

Turn the Page - less...the epicness of the bass line doesn't grab me as much any more, and that's what the song was all about. Vocally, meh. Guitar...I don't like the tone of the solo, or the reliance on wankery. The drum patterns...ok...but not spectacular.

Tai Shan - same...I still like it enough to tolerate. Not really a RUSH song, but some nice lyrical imagery and emotive vocals from Geddy. I like the Chinese guitar sound...better on Mystic Rhytms, though. Cheesy-keysie really kills this one.

High Water - same...I really dig it. Again, not super complex, but very soulful, ala Scars, with great lyrical sentiment. I love the chorus...the crescendo into it...beautiful, emotive vocals. Touches me the way Cool Change" from LRB does.

In a nutshell, a love several of the songs, and like others. As a collection, I don't ever need to hear the whole thing. If I want that full-on 80's sound, there are many other bands that did it better.

I love Hold Your Fire. It's within my top 10 favorite albums. Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission, and Turn The Page are great, Open Secrets and Second Nature are underrated, and while the last two aren't good, it's always been a favorite of mine.

I forgot to mention how awesome Lock and Key is.

• Like 3

Suitable title. It's like they put their own fire on hold for several years.

I always thought it was like a "don't shoot us for putting out such crappy music!" kind of thing. :LOL:

• Like 1

I don't know anyone that does not like it.

But that might be because I don't know anyone that is not a BIG !! RUSH fan.

I love Hold your Fire