What songs are your current jams?

The Analog Cub

Styx - Blue Collar Man

I learned Chuck Panozzo's original bassline a while ago, but I recently decided to learn the bassline Rickly Phillips plays live. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Like myself, Ricky plays a 5-string, and plays a lot of low notes, especially the low D. He also changes some parts around, and makes them more interesting and fun to play. I'm having a blast playing it.

• Like 3

Learning La Villa and Dogs (Floyd) as Xmas tasks.

Also have to learn a couple of Kravitz songs tonight (Believe and Sister) that have been requested for an Xmas gig but they're easier.

• Like 2

Autograph - Turn Up The Radio

Finger Eleven - Paralyzer

Motion City Soundtrack - Happy Anniversary

Motion City Soundtrack - Gravity

Pinball Wizard on bass for my next School of Rock show - makes me feel like a rock star, lol. And Volunteers (Jefferson Starship or is it Airplane, I forget), which would be a lot better if our singer would remember how the song goes. And then The Seeker (The Who) on 2nd guitar - I am NOT doing the solo, that's up to someone else, thank God. But the rest of it is enough trouble for me as it is, lol.
  • Like 5

Styx - Blue Collar Man

I learned Chuck Panozzo's original bassline a while ago, but I recently decided to learn the bassline Rickly Phillips plays live. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Like myself, Ricky plays a 5-string, and plays a lot of low notes, especially the low D. He also changes some parts around, and makes them more interesting and fun to play. I'm having a blast playing it.

Much as Chuck is a staple and beloved member of Styx, I get the feeling that he wasn't that innovative as a bass player, though I could be totally wrong. But Ricky Phillips more than holds his own!

• Like 1

Styx - Blue Collar Man

Much as Chuck is a staple and beloved member of Styx, I get the feeling that he wasn't that innovative as a bass player, though I could be totally wrong. But Ricky Phillips more than holds his own!

I completely agree. Chuck's basslines are fine, and he wrote some cool parts every know and then, but I find Ricky's more interesting.
  • Like 1

REM - Pop song 89

AC/DC - Back in Black

Max Webster - High Class in Borrowed Shoes

Funkadelic - Hit it and Quit it

U2 - Until the end of the world

The Tea Party - Pyschopomp

The Tea Party - Coming Home

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Me and My Friends

The Pixies - Is she weird

Rush - Something for Nothing

ZZ Top - Hot, Blue and Righteous

Steve Earle - Ben McCulloch

The Tubes - What do want from life?

• Like 1

Also trying to do Motorhead - Iron Fist but I don't think I'll get it up to the same speed, especially at a nice even pace. I'm a bit of classical, finger picker who does a lot of open mic as well. Really struggle with the faster metal stuff eg. Motorhead, Iron Maiden and getting the even rhythm. Prob need to use a plectrum and electric for that stuff rather than trying to do it Jeff Beck/Mark Knopfler style.
  • Like 1