Has anyone heard differences among remasters?

maxdistortion

I'm intrigued by Rush's upcoming 2015 re-re-re-releases of all the Mercury-era albums ('75-'88), specifically about the Hi-Res format.

Sony's been aggressively marketing and getting lots of press about their recent attempt to push the format to the mainstream. I know that "high definition" audio (anything over 44.1 / 16-bit audio - CD quality) has been around pretty much as long as the CD itself, but in this day and age, nobody seems to care.

While I do think that the iTunes era isn't as detrimental or bad to the listening experience as people seem to overdramatize, there is somewhat of an appetite for the next step.

I've noticed over the years there have been countless Rush re-releases and special editions on albums released in SACD, High definition audio, 5.1 surround mixes, the Sectors box set...

The original CD releases back in the 80s were a bit before my time, I bought every single 1997 Rush Remasters CD. But, people say these ones are WAY better than the rush remasters, or any recent remasters. I was a sucker though and wanted the original artwork (which was missing on the older 80s CDs) and thought, hey if its remastered, its GOTTA be better (to my ears it was just louder).

Never bothered to get the Sectors box set, although the samples i've heard, they sound good, if not almost no difference (to me) compared to the 1997 remasters.

So ANYWAYS - does anybody have practical, first hand experiences outlining the differences between all of them? Or perhaps some of the lesser mainstream, audiophile specific releases? Such as those on HDtracks.com, the SACDs, DVD audio , etc?

Edited by maxdistortion

Sort of hit and miss to me. I now have four versions of Signals, original, 1997 remaster and the two Sector 3 versions. Actually like the 1997 version personally. I expected more from the Sector versions. The SACD version of Hemispheres sounds good as well. The versions of the songs on Rush - Gold, a compilation are good, not remastered but sonically assembled.

To avoid to keep having to buy their records over and over again, I keep to the originals whenever possible and just work the volume control instead. Most times a remaster will just be a volume lift to make it keep up with contemporary loud music. You can however make minor adjustment with equalizer but it's only to glue it all together.

One thing I know is that the quieter the record the better it sounds when played loud on my stereo opposed to the ones that are mastered really loud.

• Like 1

I prefer the Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity releases myself.

I haven't liked the '97 remaster since they day they came out. The low end took a huge hit when those came out. The Sector releases corrected this somewhat.

Agreed,i have Sector2.I am no audiophile and i only have a modest system but the clarity and detail is great.Even Exit sounds less muddy but its still a bit fuzzy in places.

Originals sound the best. The 97 remastered CDs are very compressed. The Sectors, even more so but they do sound better than the 97s for whatever reason.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-rush-cd-mastering-thread-part-2.290440/

A little light reading for ya.

I sold off all my originals but have since bought them back after getting way too involved with hi-end equipment and listening. I keep the 97s for the car.

Save a CD

Say NO to Remasters!!!

:)

Some remasters are great. Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, and The Doors works.

But I must admit, when I play the few Rush albums I have on vinyl, they sound irreplacable. Made for vinyl.

• Like 1

Save a CD

Say NO to Remasters!!!

But I must admit, when I play the few Rush albums I have on vinyl, they sound irreplacable. Made for vinyl.

I listened to one this morning that was so bad. That's why I'm on my little kick. I'm sure not all of them are done so poorly, but the one I listened to made the remaster of Vapor Trails sound like Beethoven.

Save a CD

Say NO to Remasters!!!

I listened to one this morning that was so bad. That's why I'm on my little kick. I'm sure not all of them are done so poorly, but the one I listened to made the remaster of Vapor Trails sound like Beethoven.

....and which one was it?

The worst remaster I have is a late 80's version of Magical Mystery Tour, it's an absolute shocker. As I've said before hugely disappointed with the Sectors Box set, expected a lot more. Happy with the SACD version of Hemispheres.

They are a bit pricey but the Japanese SHM cds are very good. So far I've got AFTK and Hold Your Fire and Caress.

I have them all times 3! THEY ARE THE BEST!

Judging by your avatar Greedy Oak you are an audiophile nut like me.

The old "Moving Pictures" and "2112" MFSL Gold are good too if you like bass!

• Like 1

Oh yes, RushHead, definitely an audiophile. As the MFSL albums go, I've got Signals and PeW so far. Tracking down MP and 2112 soon. How do they compare with the blu-ray's stereo track? Edited by Greedy Oak
  • Like 1

My ears aren't as good as some. I have never been able to pick out big differences on remasters.

Save a CD

Say NO to Remasters!!!

....and which one was it?

Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues

I have that album burned into my brain. From the age of 15, I must have listened to it close to a thousand times. Maybe more.

The CD I listened to yesterday was absolutely awful. It was supposed to be an improvement on the original, but it was no improvement.