Whats up with geddys yodeling??

nicky6

Well, he didn't exactly say what I said he said. Here's the quote:

Lifeson: As a singer, he’s evolved in many ways. He’s really become a singer. In the early days—and, again, it was a different time, a different physicality—he screamed more, he hit those high notes. That was the unique quality he had in the way he sang and how he delivered lyrics. Now I’m more drawn into the way he sings, particularly on this record. There’s something that’s very compelling in his singing—the nuances, how he translates lyrics into vocal parts. It’s really a skill, and I get to watch it all the time. He works really, really hard on it.

As a bass player, he’s always been amazing [laughs]. He blows me away when I sit and watch him play. I wouldn’t know how to quantify his evolution and development, because I think he’s always been very busy, he’s always been all over the place—but at the same time, he knows when to pull it back and, y’know, sit down and let everything circle around him.

October 28, 2012 Premier Guitar

Interesting. I agree the 70's WAS more screaming then anything. it was awesome though. But as i said he did his chords no favors and it led to where we are today. I mean i listen to 70's bootlegs and my throat hurts just listening to it, lol

Mick

This was the quote I was referring in my comment earlier but I didn't remember what it was from. The screaming thing reminds me of the Fifth Order of Angels bootleg where he screams "one, two, three, fooooouurrrrrrrrr!!!! in between the two parts of In The End. It's amazing and absolutely no surprise that his voice is in the shape it's in now.

• Like 2

Lifeson: As a singer, he’s evolved in many ways. He’s really become a singer. In the early days—and, again, it was a different time, a different physicality—he screamed more, he hit those high notes. That was the unique quality he had in the way he sang and how he delivered lyrics. Now I’m more drawn into the way he sings, particularly on this record. There’s something that’s very compelling in his singing—the nuances, how he translates lyrics into vocal parts. It’s really a skill, and I get to watch it all the time. He works really, really hard on it.

As a bass player, he’s always been amazing [laughs]. He blows me away when I sit and watch him play. I wouldn’t know how to quantify his evolution and development, because I think he’s always been very busy, he’s always been all over the place—but at the same time, he knows when to pull it back and, y’know, sit down and let everything circle around him.

Interesting. I agree the 70's WAS more screaming then anything. it was awesome though. But as i said he did his chords no favors and it led to where we are today. I mean i listen to 70's bootlegs and my throat hurts just listening to it, lol

Mick

This was the quote I was referring in my comment earlier but I didn't remember what it was from. The screaming thing reminds me of the Fifth Order of Angels bootleg where he screams "one, two, three, fooooouurrrrrrrrr!!!! in between the two parts of In The End. It's amazing and absolutely no surprise that his voice is in the shape it's in now.

Totally agree and i know that's why he toned down in the 80's. It preserved him for a while but the damage was obviously done, Can you imagine if he continued that style in the 80's. he'd be a mute now, lol. or worse.

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

Totally agree and i know that's why he toned down in the 80's. It preserved him for a while but the damage was obviously done, Can you imagine if he continued that style in the 80's. he'd be a mute now, lol. or worse.

Mick

I think it was the constant touring and use of his voice at that pitch that did it.

If he had had a trained voice, I wonder if it would have helped.

In any event, Geddy had, and still has, one of the most soothing and beautiful speaking voices I have ever heard. His voice is very calming to listen to.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I think it was the constant touring and use of his voice at that pitch that did it.

In any event, Geddy had, and still has, one of the most soothing and beautiful speaking voices I have ever heard. His voice is very calming to listen to.

It's interesting you say that, because I think so too. His speaking voice has dropped in pitch a bit over the years. I noticed it in the late 90s when his singing range declined.

I don't agree it's doesn't suck, but i do agree that we have been over everything I'm sure, things deteriorate as you get older, he's still pulling off three hour shows give the guy a break lol!!!

so fun to talk to people that know Rush stuff!!!!

I love geddy let me just say that. He's one of my fav bass players. Great vocalist......In his prime. He seems like a great guy all around too.

But i just can't dance around this fact. He's lost it vocally. I don't know how you could POSSIBLY say otherwise.

Mick

Isn't this a bit ironic coming from someone who has Tom Waits as his avatar? Now there is someone with a lousy voice, Geddy sounds wonderful compared to that guy :laughing guy:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

How can you people call you self for Rush-fans, and then complain so much on Geddy's voice? Damn, the guy is 61 years old, and hes been touring a lot!

Ofcourse his voice is not how it was in the 70s - 80s, not even how it was in the 90s. But he can still sing great, and when I saw him live on last tour, I was blown away, because he was singing with such feeling, and I could not hear any mistakes!

So leave the guy alone and be happy instead that he still do what he do! Everybody is getting older, and he cant sound the same he did when he was 20.

So either you shut up about it and leave him alone and enjoy the time we have left with Rush, or you can just stop listen to Rush now and go and cry in a corner!

Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 2

I love geddy let me just say that. He's one of my fav bass players. Great vocalist......In his prime. He seems like a great guy all around too.

But i just can't dance around this fact. He's lost it vocally. I don't know how you could POSSIBLY say otherwise.

Mick

Isn't this a bit ironic coming from someone who has Tom Waits as his avatar? Now there is someone with a lousy voice, Geddy sounds wonderful compared to that guy :laughing guy:

If that guy can sing then everybody can sing :P

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Yes ......but easily explained. Tom never started out a good vocalist.......ged did......he had something to lose see, lol

Mick

Mick

the above comment was meant for this quote dammit, lol

I gotta pay attention, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

Yes ......but easily explained. Tom never started out a good vocalist.......ged did......he had something to lose see, lol

Mick

Tom sings quite beautifully on his first album

Mick

Mick

Mick

Who's Tom?

Mick

Mick

Mick

Who's Tom?

Tom Waits. dare you to look him up, lol. My bar none fav artist.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Mick

Tom sings quite beautifully on his first album

That he did. The songs and stories he tells are perfect for his style. Adore him.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Mick

Who's Tom?

Tom Waits

EDIT: Mick you beat me to it.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1