Whats up with geddys yodeling??

nicky6

watch CA tour. it's all over.

Mick

I can't even watch this DVD without cringing. It's not bad when you're there in concert because the excitement of the show (and volume) makes you not care or hear it as much. It's only later on hearing the show on video or audio that it really becomes apparent. I seriously think he's got vocal polyps or something. The voice breaking like that can be one of the signs.

Well Eagle i hate to point it out.....but look at how he sang in the 70's. As much as people love that style........he did his chords no favors. like at all.

Mick

Oh right I know, I agree with you. Plus he's had to try to recreate that in concert over the years.

Mick

I can't even watch this DVD without cringing. It's not bad when you're there in concert because the excitement of the show (and volume) makes you not care or hear it as much. It's only later on hearing the show on video or audio that it really becomes apparent. I seriously think he's got vocal polyps or something. The voice breaking like that can be one of the signs.

Well Eagle i hate to point it out.....but look at how he sang in the 70's. As much as people love that style........he did his chords no favors. like at all.

Mick

Oh right I know, I agree with you. Plus he's had to try to recreate that in concert over the years.

He was killing himsef.......and fans were like........YAY GED MORE!!!!!!! well........ya got it.......now here's the aftermath.

Enjoy, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

He was killing himsef.......and fans were like........YAY GED MORE!!!!!!! well........ya got it.......now here's the aftermath.

Enjoy, lol

Mick

It's just sad.

• Like 1

I think it sounds good no great he's not 30 year old geddy any more and he still hit the notes. I don't think CA is a good DVD to make your point I think he strains a lot in that DVD. But I don't hear any yodeling.
  • Like 2

If they are to keep touring you gotta bear with it, I seen them last tour, only far cry stands out to me where he completely failed the high part. The fact that the three of them get out there and your, is remarkable!
  • Like 1

If they are to keep touring you gotta bear with it, I seen them last tour, only far cry stands out to me where he completely failed the high part. The fact that the three of them get out there and tour, is remarkable!

CA was also the first album to me where they couldn't mask his now limited voice. in the past they could at least mask it in the studio. not on CA.......at all.

Mick

I love when there is a thread about Geds voice. Mick is just around the corner at all times ready to strike.... :D
  • Like 2

Name me a singer that's in his 60s you've seen live that hit every note in every song???

I wish my grandfather was in a band, and toured and was an awesome musician.

I love geddys' voice and I know he does his best, on tour, and CA and S&A are awesome.

• Like 2

We must be really bored if all we have to do is trash Geddy for his voice. :codger: So he's aged, no one can recreate their twenties forever. Speaking as one who never heard them in the 70's, I am quite happy with their music and glad they are still performing. :D Clockwork Angels is one of my favorites :finbar:
  • Like 4

CA was also the first album to me where they couldn't mask his now limited voice. in the past they could at least mask it in the studio. not on CA.......at all.

Mick

I love when there is a thread about Geds voice. Mick is just around the corner at all times ready to strike.... :D

Any opportunity to reiterate that "Cough" CA sucks monkey balls "cough" i'm there babe, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I'm curious, does anyone here think Geddy's voice is the best it's ever been??

I want to say no, assuming that's why they did a medly that's on R30 for their older songs because he can't sing them.. But no he's not at his best.

I'm curious, does anyone here think Geddy's voice is the best it's ever been??

I want to say no, assuming that's why they did a medly that's on R30 for their older songs because he can't sing them.. But no he's not at his best.

Oh yeah, he's easily at his worst IMO, but there are plenty of bizarre/unimaginable opinions around here :LOL:

I just wanttothrow out there that a guy that can sing that High and play a song like vital signs on the bass at the same time should get the benefit of the doubt, I mean how does he sing and stay in time with some of these songs.???
  • Like 1

I love geddy let me just say that. He's one of my fav bass players. Great vocalist......In his prime. He seems like a great guy all around too.

But i just can't dance around this fact. He's lost it vocally. I don't know how you could POSSIBLY say otherwise.

Mick

I love geddy let me just say that. He's one of my fav bass players. Great vocalist......In his prime. He seems like a great guy all around too.

But i just can't dance around this fact. He's lost it vocally. I don't know how you could POSSIBLY say otherwise.

Mick

I wouldn't say he's completely lost it. I think a lot of his singing is still pretty damn good...but the guy is definitely losing it! :LOL:
  • Like 2

He still sounds fine for the lower-register songs like Dreamline, Roll the Bones, Subdivisions, Bravado, Red Sector A, etc etc. It's mostly anything before 1982 and any of the other higher stuff (verses of Time Stand Still) where he sounds pretty rough.

I cringe when they play Spirit of Radio now because it's one of their signature songs and he strains and cracks all over the place trying to sing it. Ditto Tom Sawyer. When they performed that on The Colbert Report it was tough to watch

Edited by jnoble

Well, he didn't exactly say what I said he said. Here's the quote:

Lifeson: As a singer, he’s evolved in many ways. He’s really become a singer. In the early days—and, again, it was a different time, a different physicality—he screamed more, he hit those high notes. That was the unique quality he had in the way he sang and how he delivered lyrics. Now I’m more drawn into the way he sings, particularly on this record. There’s something that’s very compelling in his singing—the nuances, how he translates lyrics into vocal parts. It’s really a skill, and I get to watch it all the time. He works really, really hard on it.

As a bass player, he’s always been amazing [laughs]. He blows me away when I sit and watch him play. I wouldn’t know how to quantify his evolution and development, because I think he’s always been very busy, he’s always been all over the place—but at the same time, he knows when to pull it back and, y’know, sit down and let everything circle around him.

October 28, 2012 Premier Guitar

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Well, he didn't exactly say what I said he said. Here's the quote:

Lifeson: As a singer, he’s evolved in many ways. He’s really become a singer. In the early days—and, again, it was a different time, a different physicality—he screamed more, he hit those high notes. That was the unique quality he had in the way he sang and how he delivered lyrics. Now I’m more drawn into the way he sings, particularly on this record. There’s something that’s very compelling in his singing—the nuances, how he translates lyrics into vocal parts. It’s really a skill, and I get to watch it all the time. He works really, really hard on it.

As a bass player, he’s always been amazing [laughs]. He blows me away when I sit and watch him play. I wouldn’t know how to quantify his evolution and development, because I think he’s always been very busy, he’s always been all over the place—but at the same time, he knows when to pull it back and, y’know, sit down and let everything circle around him.

October 28, 2012 Premier Guitar

Interesting. I agree the 70's WAS more screaming then anything. it was awesome though. But as i said he did his chords no favors and it led to where we are today. I mean i listen to 70's bootlegs and my throat hurts just listening to it, lol

Mick

• Like 1