"Lolita" Reference in "The Analog Kid"?

ThatLightInYourEyes

Does anyone know if the line about a "girl with sun-browned legs" is a reference to the narrative passages in Lolita about one of Humbert Humbert's early memories? And before you ask, no, I am not calling Neil a pedo. Please don't answer this with anything from your special folders, thanks. :sarcastic:
  • Like 1

:blink: :sigh: ....

Is it me?

You guys are just to smart for me to keep up with most of the time.... :)

Stop saying that. We don't believe it, so don't even try. :P

Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes
  • Like 3

:blink: :sigh: ....

Is it me?

You guys are just to smart for me to keep up with most of the time.... :)

Stop saying that. We don't believe it, so don't even try. :P

:) ...

According to Neil Peart in the book, Roadshow: Landscape With Drums, A Concert Tour By Motorcycle, the line, "The fawn-eyed girl with sun-browned legs" is written about a girl Neil met while camping in Canton, Ohio with his family during the summer of 1967. Neil fell in love with this girl; she was from Beach City and he wrote her letters all summer long. (thanks, Mike - Mountlake Terrace, WA)

This song may be inspired by an Edgar Lee Masters poem called Jonathan Houghton. From the poem:

"And a boy lies in the grass

Near the feet of the old man,

And looks up at the sailing clouds,

And longs, and longs, and longs

For what, he knows not:"

From the song: "The boy lies in the grass, unmoving

Staring at the sky"

"When I leave I don't know

What I'm hoping to find"

The poem ends with the now old boy returning to his old childhood home and finding it commercially developed and busy, and longing for the way it used to be. The song ends by hinting that the boy will someday desire what he's leaving behind. (thanks, emerson - Butler, PA)

• Like 2

According to Neil Peart in the book, Roadshow: Landscape With Drums, A Concert Tour By Motorcycle, the line, "The fawn-eyed girl with sun-browned legs" is written about a girl Neil met while camping in Canton, Ohio with his family during the summer of 1967. Neil fell in love with this girl; she was from Beach City and he wrote her letters all summer long. (thanks, Mike - Mountlake Terrace, WA)

This song may be inspired by an Edgar Lee Masters poem called Jonathan Houghton. From the poem:

"And a boy lies in the grass

Near the feet of the old man,

And looks up at the sailing clouds,

And longs, and longs, and longs

For what, he knows not:"

From the song: "The boy lies in the grass, unmoving

Staring at the sky"

"When I leave I don't know

What I'm hoping to find"

The poem ends with the now old boy returning to his old childhood home and finding it commercially developed and busy, and longing for the way it used to be. The song ends by hinting that the boy will someday desire what he's leaving behind. (thanks, emerson - Butler, PA)

Right on! It only takes 15 posts of snarkiness and witty cynicism before someone finally comes up with the accurate response. I love this forum :)

• Like 2

To quote Neil from his book "Roadshows"

"The summer before I turned fifteen, my family camped outside Montreal to visit the World's Fair, Expo '67, and at the campground, I met a girl from Ohio. Her father was extremely watchful (warning her that Canadian boys had 'Roman hands and Russian fingers'), and we never even kissed, but I fell hopelessly in fourteen-year-old love...I always remembered her ('the fawn-eyed girl with sun-browned legs' in the song 'The Analog Kid')"

• Like 1

To quote Neil from his book "Roadshows"

"The summer before I turned fifteen, my family camped outside Montreal to visit the World's Fair, Expo '67, and at the campground, I met a girl from Ohio. Her father was extremely watchful (warning her that Canadian boys had 'Roman hands and Russian fingers'), and we never even kissed, but I fell hopelessly in fourteen-year-old love...I always remembered her ('the fawn-eyed girl with sun-browned legs' in the song 'The Analog Kid')"

LOL. Trying to picture Neil as some sort of brutish marauder now is comical.... at the age of 14? I think I might have torn a muscle laughing so hard.