At what time do you think Geddy had his best voice?

YYZumbi

43 members have voted

1. 1. When was Geddy's voice at the higest peak for you?

• Early 70s
    • Late 70s
    • Early 80s
    • Late 80s
    • Early 90s
    • Late 90s
    • Early 2000s
    • Late 00s
    • Early 2010s
    • Now

I do think that Geddy's best was around AFTK and Moving Pictures though. Although I do think that on 2112 how he changes from the dude that discovered the guitar, to the priests is really cool.

Good call. Love the back and forth dialog in 2112!

Hemispheres was his vocal peak!!!

"DING! ..your voice is done"

Live? Seventies.

Studio?

HYF/Presto

My thoughts exactly.

I voted "late seventies" because I think that's the peak of his live abilities, but I think everything comes together the best on HYF.

His voice is a wonderful thing...

What I love about him is that, for such a high voice, he is always masculine. None of the soppy stuff like the other seventies rockers that went AOR in the eighties.

HYF is just perfect vocally. The reflective nature in which he sings Tai Shan makes that song stand out for me. His playfulness on Time Stand Still is irresistable, and Second Nature and Mission build on the unique beauty of his vocals that previously came to the forefront on Marathon.

The eighties were magnificent for vocals and Rush. The seventies was also wonderful, but I think he truly found his voice in this decade.

Roll The Bones is the only album of Rush where Geddy sounds irritating, but I think that has more to do with the wimpy production than his efforts alone. The songs work a tonne better live!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

It's not that I dislike the high register of the 1970s, but I think as Ged toned it down over the years, his emotional delivery improved. That said, I tend to agree with a few of the previously mentioned votes for the early to mid 1990s work. His voice still had a decent range, but it was mostly toned down and there was some quality in delivery... and also before age and abuse really began to take its toll on his chords.
  • Like 1

Sad thing about the counterparts tour was that he got some kinda bad cold after the first month of the tour, and it lasted til the end of the tour. Listen to all the soundboards his voice was shot in alot of those performances. I wish they would have recorded a soundboard for the 2/8/94 show. he sounded really good on that one..

Sad thing about the counterparts tour was that he got some kinda bad cold after the first month of the tour, and it lasted til the end of the tour. Listen to all the soundboards his voice was shot in alot of those performances. I wish they would have recorded a soundboard for the 2/8/94 show. he sounded really good on that one..

Not on all. Sometimes he would start out really bad, and I could never understand how his voice would improve as the concert went on. Sometimes he would sound really tired too. He couldn't hide his fatigue in his voice.

I don't think he learned how to really sing until permanent waves. I love his 70s vocals but permanent waves is where he toned it down and learned to use all of his voice and not shriek and shit. from waves to hold your fire, we got some of his most emotional and moving singing. on those records geddy sounded good enough and confident enough to be just a frontman and not even be playing bass and shit.

of course, when it comes to my absolute favorite vocals, hemispheres is it. too high my ass, it should've been even higher!

• Like 4

bathory always straightens things out... :)

When he gets to be our age, he'll be a Musical Buddha.

People will come from far and near to consult him on all things musical.

:)

If he gets married and has kids the chances of this diminish greatly... ;) I was just like him at his age. Knew all the bands and all the music and look what happened :LOL: :codger:
  • Like 1

If he gets married and has kids the chances of this diminish greatly... ;) I was just like him at his age. Knew all the bands and all the music and look what happened :LOL: :codger:

So was I.

So Bathory, beware! It can happen to you too one day. :laughing guy: :codger:

Edited by Lorraine

So was I.

So Bathory, beware! It can happen to you too one day. :laughing guy: :codger:

I'm almost there. Except the wife and kids :P

In the 1970s, his voice was WAY to high and screechy. I could never think about singing like he did back from Rush to Hemispheres. And people have told me that I sound just like Geddy when I sing Rush songs (albeit they've only heard me sing The Spirit Of Radio and Subdivisions) His voice really changed both around Permanent Waves and Signals. He did lose a lot of range, but I felt his voice really stabilized around 1982-1984 and became amazing...

In the 1970s, his voice was WAY to high and screechy. I could never think about singing like he did back from Rush to Hemispheres. And people have told me that I sound just like Geddy when I sing Rush songs (albeit they've only heard me sing The Spirit Of Radio and Subdivisions) His voice really changed both around Permanent Waves and Signals. He did lose a lot of range, but I felt his voice really stabilized around 1982-1984 and became amazing...

What do you mean when you say he lost "a lot of range"?

He lost that screechy high voice.

He stopped smoking

His voice might have been high, but he could do things with that voice back then he can no longer do today. Geddy was a real triller.

I think his voice suited the times. It was popular to sing that way back then.

Screechy? I don't get that one. Doesn't sound like a compliment for sure.... :huh:

hesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:

Adj. 1. screechy - having or making a high-pitched sound such as that made by a mouse or a rusty hinge

squeaking, squeaky, squealing, screaky

high-pitched, high - used of sounds and voices; high in pitch or frequency

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

:LOL: :lol: A rusty hinge...

Edited by Narpski

Screechy? I don't get that one. Doesn't sound like a compliment for sure.... :huh:

hesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:

Adj. 1. screechy - having or making a high-pitched sound such as that made by a mouse or a rusty hinge

squeaking, squeaky, squealing, screaky

high-pitched, high - used of sounds and voices; high in pitch or frequency

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

:LOL: :lol: A rusty hinge...

:LOL:

I hear people using terms like that on here about his voice now and then and I don't get it either. People don't call Janis Joplin's voice screechy and yet Geddy sang in a very similar style.