Babymetal...Anyone else here a fan?

Zelix

I tried to like them, I really did.

They're not bad or anything, just not my thing.

I just spent seven minutes watching this. Does that make me a fan?

Are there more English vocal songs?

Hi, Pal! :cheers:

If posting Babymetal videos around the TRF doesn't bring Zelix back, what will?

A case of Heineken on ice! :cheers:

:cheers:

Cheers pal.

• Like 2

I tried to like them, I really did.

They're not bad or anything, just not my thing.

I just spent seven minutes watching this. Does that make me a fan?

Are there more English vocal songs?

Probably not many more if any. And surely, this song exists because of more recent interest from western fans.

Spectacular show and surprisingly not bad metal...it still comes off as a cheap gimmick but at the same time it's great fun to watch.

It's like a circus act. Good fun.

Spectacular show and surprisingly not bad metal...it still comes off as a cheap gimmick but at the same time it's great fun to watch.

Well, the truth is that it IS a cheap, gimmick act.

The 3 girls were taken from another IDOL group called Sakura Gakuen ((Cherry Blossom academy/school)). Baby Metal was to be a sub group of that larger one. Sub-groups...a typical thing especially when it comes to Japanese idol groups.

Additionally, none of the Baby Metal members even knew what metal was before they were created.

The 3 girls were taken from another IDOL group called Sakura Gakuen ((Cherry Blossom academy/school)). Baby Metal was to be a sub group of that larger one. Sub-groups...a typical thing especially when it comes to Japanese idol groups.

Additionally, none of the Baby Metal members even knew what metal was before they were created.

Well I'm certainly not interested in gimmicks (the band period), clever rhetoric ("(J-)Pop music meets metal is an original/unique concept"), or conventional thinking (easy way to sell metal to non-metal fans) but that's beside the point.

Ummm..... I saw Baby Metal in concert last week. They are currently opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers tour.

Very odd, I would say. The music is pretty good - the backing band is made up of some really good players (the bass player in particular!) They have a solo section where they each trade solo riffs - they all shred!

The J-pop thing is really not my thing; but I kinda see it in a humorous way - the juxtaposition with the ultra shreddy metal underneath. It is infectiously catchy in an ultra-annoying way. After their set, I heard at least a dozen people singing "Gimme Chocolate" while waiting in line for beer.

The strangest thing though, were the few fans that knew of the band - I would say the arena was about 80% full during their set (assume about 10,000 people) - and there were probably only a couple dozen hardcore fans. There were a couple younger girls that were mimicking all the dance moves; that was cute. But then there were the 2-3 dudes sitting behind my wife, friends, and I. I'd say they were 50-55 years of age, white dudes, all wearing baby metal shirts, one had some sort of face-paint on. During the set, they put on some sort of Pokemon puffy white glove (on one hand) and various other props. They waved in unison with the band and also mimicked the dance moves. While the band themselves are not presented in any sort of sexualized way, the whole schoolgirl thing with these fanatical dudes - just felt really creepy. One friend remarked that those dudes probably travel to Thailand for the lady-boys or are on some registry... I hate to assume the worst of anyone, but gotta admit that is a seriously creepy type of fan!

• Like 1

Ummm..... I saw Baby Metal in concert last week. They are currently opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers tour.

Very odd, I would say. The music is pretty good - the backing band is made up of some really good players (the bass player in particular!) They have a solo section where they each trade solo riffs - they all shred!

The J-pop thing is really not my thing; but I kinda see it in a humorous way - the juxtaposition with the ultra shreddy metal underneath. It is infectiously catchy in an ultra-annoying way. After their set, I heard at least a dozen people singing "Gimme Chocolate" while waiting in line for beer.

The strangest thing though, were the few fans that knew of the band - I would say the arena was about 80% full during their set (assume about 10,000 people) - and there were probably only a couple dozen hardcore fans. There were a couple younger girls that were mimicking all the dance moves; that was cute. But then there were the 2-3 dudes sitting behind my wife, friends, and I. I'd say they were 50-55 years of age, white dudes, all wearing baby metal shirts, one had some sort of face-paint on. During the set, they put on some sort of Pokemon puffy white glove (on one hand) and various other props. They waved in unison with the band and also mimicked the dance moves. While the band themselves are not presented in any sort of sexualized way, the whole schoolgirl thing with these fanatical dudes - just felt really creepy. One friend remarked that those dudes probably travel to Thailand for the lady-boys or are on some registry... I hate to assume the worst of anyone, but gotta admit that is a seriously creepy type of fan!

I would assume those guys were just trying to enjoy their time at the concert, being big fans. You're definitely making some logical leaps.
  • Like 1

Quite late to this thread, but BabyMetal are my current favorite band, I simply cannot get enough of their music! Going to see them this June, and it can't come soon enough!
  • Like 1

I mean...sure it has that gimmicky quality, and it was started as a sub-unit of another group, but the man behind it all certainly has a very specific artistic vision that he is trying to achieve. It's not at all devoid of artistic value, and I don't think it's so easy to boil it down to simply a gimmick.

I mean...sure it has that gimmicky quality, and it was started as a sub-unit of another group, but the man behind it all certainly has a very specific artistic vision that he is trying to achieve. It's not at all devoid of artistic value, and I don't think it's so easy to boil it down to simply a gimmick.

BabyMetal was created by Amuse Inc., an entertainment company that's into all sorts of stuff: pro wrestling, movies, gravure models, musicians, music software, etc. Amuse is all about entertainment. McDonald's is about fast food. Both have served billions. Millions eat it up daily. I don't like that food. Or that brand of music that seems more about style than anything else.

Come on, BabyMetal is credited with popularizing and creating Kawaii Metal. KAWAII metal? "Cute" metal?! CUTE.

Those little girls were 10-12 years old when they started BabyMetal. Clearly, they were chosen for...being cute. This kind of phenomenon could only start and survive long enough to flourish in Japan where there IS the kawaii culture of anime, manga, and idol groups to begin with.

Artistic value? I disagree.

Capitalizing on what's popular and smart business...yeah I'd totally agree.

• Like 1

BabyMetal was created by Amuse Inc., an entertainment company that's into all sorts of stuff: pro wrestling, movies, gravure models, musicians, music software, etc. Amuse is all about entertainment. McDonald's is about fast food. Both have served billions. Millions eat it up daily. I don't like that food. Or that brand of music that seems more about style than anything else.

Come on, BabyMetal is credited with popularizing and creating Kawaii Metal. KAWAII metal? "Cute" metal?! CUTE.

Those little girls were 10-12 years old when they started BabyMetal. Clearly, they were chosen for...being cute. This kind of phenomenon could only start and survive long enough to flourish in Japan where there IS the kawaii culture of anime, manga, and idol groups to begin with.

Most of your information is correct, apart from the bit about them being created by Amuse, Amuse is their management company, they were created by Kei Kobayashi. Obviously they make a lot of money off of them, as that is how the world works (every band/artist/product is out to make money). As far as your bit about it surviving in the culture of Japan...any phenomenon can only exist if it reflects the values of the target demographic's culture, so I don't really see your point there. You don't have to see artistic value in it, but capitalizing on what's popular/doing smart business and creating art are not mutually exclusive.
  • Like 1

Most of your information is correct, apart from the bit about them being created by Amuse, Amuse is their management company, they were created by Kei Kobayashi. Obviously they make a lot of money off of them, as that is how the world works (every band/artist/product is out to make money). As far as your bit about it surviving in the culture of Japan...any phenomenon can only exist if it reflects the values of the target demographic's culture, so I don't really see your point there. You don't have to see artistic value in it, but capitalizing on what's popular/doing smart business and creating art are not mutually exclusive.

That's true about Kobayashi. But Kobayashi is a person within Amuse...who, according to the article, started in "media promotion." The business aspect of what I was saying earlier is in this article. Some of the creative aspects of what you're talking about are there too. But most of this reads like promotion and sales and promotion and promotion were more important than music as art.

http://babymetal.net/depth-interview-kobametal-key-person-behind-babymetal/

Explaining the cultural part (that part where you said don't really see my point) isn't an easy thing to do. So many things here in Japan are based on HOW it looks. NOT what's inside. Presentation. I'm not saying this as a negative criticism of Japan. Not at all. I'm saying it as a fact.

http://jpninfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/wayoftea.jpg

http://images.parenting.mdpcdn.com/sites/parenting.com/files/styles/facebook_og_image/public/Bentos_Tiger_4_P_new.jpg?itok=0NwtDRUE

Without fail, when someone sees those snacks in the top pic or bento in the 2nd pic, they don't say "oiishi-so" (delicious), they say "kawaii" (cute) because presentation and what the item looks like are crucial. Image. It's not the same or even remotely comparable to anything in the west. The levels cannot be compared.

Here are two gift melons priced at over $400. The presentation of the box and what the melons look like are what you're paying for.

http://qjphotos.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/melons.jpg

I've digressed a bit :LOL: . But not really. I AM sincerely trying to explain the cultural angle of what I was saying earlier.

If you haven't fallen asleep yet... :P

This comedian's song has been one of the most popular tunes in ALL of J-music over the past year or so. He's everywhere. It's been so popular that he'll be performing at Summer Sonic, a big summer music festival (headlined by The Foo Fighters this year) this August in Tokyo & Osaka.

Here's his song which has exploded in popularity:

Anyway, if you see artistic value in them and those kinds of entertainers, that's fine. Millions do. I don't.

P.S. If you disagree with everything I've said, that's fine. Just look at the rice ball cat with seaweed facial features and snips of boiled egg for his ears and say "kawaii". ;)

• Like 1

That's true about Kobayashi. But Kobayashi is a person within Amuse...who, according to the article, started in "media promotion." The business aspect of what I was saying earlier is in this article. Some of the creative aspects of what you're talking about are there too. But most of this reads like promotion and sales and promotion and promotion were more important than music as art.

http://babymetal.net...hind-babymetal/

Explaining the cultural part (that part where you said don't really see my point) isn't an easy thing to do. So many things here in Japan are based on HOW it looks. NOT what's inside. Presentation. I'm not saying this as a negative criticism of Japan. Not at all. I'm saying it as a fact.

http://images.parenting.mdpcdn.com/sites/parenting.com/files/styles/facebook_og_image/public/Bentos_Tiger_4_P_new.jpg?itok=0NwtDRUE

Without fail, when someone sees those snacks in the top pic or bento in the 2nd pic, they don't say "oiishi-so" (delicious), they say "kawaii" (cute) because presentation and what the item looks like are crucial. Image. It's not the same or even remotely comparable to anything in the west. The levels cannot be compared.

Here are two gift melons priced at over $400. The presentation of the box and what the melons look like are what you're paying for.

I've digressed a bit :LOL: . But not really. I AM sincerely trying to explain the cultural angle of what I was saying earlier.

This comedian's song has been one of the most popular tunes in ALL of J-music over the past year or so. He's everywhere. It's been so popular that he'll be performing at Summer Sonic, a big summer music festival (headlined by The Foo Fighters this year) this August in Tokyo & Osaka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVuX1gwJWpc&sns=em

Anyway, if you see artistic value in them and those kinds of entertainers, that's fine. Millions do. I don't.

P.S. If you disagree with everything I've said, that's fine. Just look at the rice ball cat with seaweed facial features and snips of boiled egg for his ears and say "kawaii". ;)

Alright, your point about Japan makes much more sense now, and is certainly valid; you went into extensive detail there lol. However, considering how much BabyMetal has caught on in the UK and the US (among other places), clearly there is *something* more to them than meets the eye; otherwise one would figure they never would have expanded outside Japan. Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 2

Alright, your point about Japan makes much more sense now, and is certainly valid; you went into extensive detail there lol. However, considering how much BabyMetal has caught on in the UK and the US (among other places), clearly there is *something* more to them than meets the eye; otherwise one would figure they never would have expanded outside Japan.

Again, a gimmick. They seem adventurous to those who know nothing of Japanese sub culture.

• Like 2

Alright, your point about Japan makes much more sense now, and is certainly valid; you went into extensive detail there lol. However, considering how much BabyMetal has caught on in the UK and the US (among other places), clearly there is *something* more to them than meets the eye; otherwise one would figure they never would have expanded outside Japan.

Again, a gimmick. They seem adventurous to those who know nothing of Japanese sub culture.

I'm by no means an expert on "Japanese sub culture", but they are quite popular in Japan. I can only assume that actual Japanese people would at least know something of "Japanese sub culture." Whether or not they "seem adventurous" is besides the point, I don't personally care why people enjoy the art that they do.
  • Like 2

I'm by no means an expert on "Japanese sub culture", but they are quite popular in Japan. I can only assume that actual Japanese people would at least know something of "Japanese sub culture." Whether or not they "seem adventurous" is besides the point, I don't personally care why people enjoy the art that they do.

You might be surprised by how many Japanese do NOT know about their own culture let alone sub culture. My wife's Japanese and I've explained many Japanese historical and cultural items to her. I've done the same for some of my J-students and J-friends. And I'm definitely no historian or anything like that.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Alright, your point about Japan makes much more sense now, and is certainly valid; you went into extensive detail there lol.

:LOL: