Photography is not art???

LittleRushmonkey

Taking a picture with your phone isnt "photography", it's taking a picture with your phone.

Isn't it dependent on what is produced and the subsequent interpretation by the viewer? Or non-viewer I suppose.

ETA: I see your post about tongue in cheek.

Edited by goose

Taking a picture with your phone isnt "photography", it's taking a picture with your phone.

Isn't it dependent on what is produced and the subsequent interpretation by the viewer? Or non-viewer I suppose

Yes. Why does it matter what camera you take a picture with, they're all still cameras, whether it's a DSLR, a phone, a film camera or even a webcam.

These were all taken with an iPhone and they're still better than what a good amount of DSLR users can do:

https://iso.500px.com/landscape-iphone-photos/

• Like 1

Isn't it dependent on what is produced and the subsequent interpretation by the viewer? Or non-viewer I suppose

Yes. Why does it matter what camera you take a picture with, they're all still cameras, whether it's a DSLR, a phone, a film camera or even a webcam.

These were all taken with an iPhone and they're still better than what a good amount of DSLR users can do:

https://iso.500px.com/landscape-iphone-photos/

Photography has been my sole source of income for about the last 15 years and what I have found is that is is very subjective. Sometimes what I think is a great shot my customer just passes by but loves a shot that I think is not quite as good. Another thing I have found is that people don't value photography as art as much now because everyone carries a camera in their pocket all the time. I can say that I have produced some images on my iPhone that I value technically as much as images I create on my Canon 1DX. Contrary to what a lot of people think, gear does not make you a photographer. Mastering composition and learning to "see" and control light does.

• Like 1