COS after FBN, AFTK after 2112

tas7

CoS - 9

2112 - 9

AFTK - 10

What's this?? You mustn't have been straight when you typed this post.

My mind must have been elsewhere :LOL:
  • Like 1

Fly By Night sucks. So does the debut.

CoS as far as I am concerned is when Rush really arrived!

Worst post ever. By-Tor and the Snow Dog??? Hello??? Is anyone in there?

CoS is a pretty weak effort, truthfully, it is a little too ambitious for what their skill set was at that time and it does nothing but diminish what they did on FBN. For three kids in their early twenties, FBN was pretty f***ing incredible.

Re-nominate worst post ever. COS rules. In regards to their skill set, there is no finer album of guitar playing in the catalogue.

• Like 1

COS was an improvement over FBN. More ambitious. Taking more risks. Trying to figure out who they were. No more LZ Jr.

With aFTK, they weren't as much under pressure from Mercury, and with grace, produced (thanks Broonsie) their best sounding album in the Wales countryside.

I absolutely adore each and every 70s Rush album so I am a little biased.

FBN is not bad.....but every time i hear it......i can't help but hear a band on uneven footing. Understandable......first album with a new drummer and all. They sound aa billion times more confident on COS to my ears. Scorching stuff.

Mick

FBN would be great if it wasn't for the next four albums that decade that completely overshadow it.

I get so bored playing it. By Tor is a noisy mess, and yet that is the only song that stands out for me. The rest just...blend...

But I think there is a chance I may not have given this enough time and effort.

• Like 1

FBN would be great if it wasn't for the next four albums that decade that completely overshadow it.

I get so bored playing it. By Tor is a noisy mess, and yet that is the only song that stands out for me. The rest just...blend...

But I think there is a chance I may not have given this enough time and effort.

You've got homework, fella. 2,000 words on "why Fly by Night is the ultimate sophomore effort by a band, containing the seeds of its continuing greatness." We will judge your work according to the strictest standards.

Or, you could give us a recipe. Your choice.

• Like 1

Or, Segue can overnight FedEx each of us a cheesecake.

Awesome. Let them eat cake flown by night.

On Bastille Day?

I don't know when that is. Usually I prefer to have my cake now. Plus ca change . . .

edit: Lorraine, I have to say that was one of the best subtle album references I've seen in a while. Nice!

Edited by toymaker

On Bastille Day?

I don't know when that is. Usually I prefer to have my cake now. Plus ca change . . .

edit: Lorraine, I have to say that was one of the best subtle album references I've seen in a while. Nice!

July 14th. So it would be a while. Go ahead an enjoy your cake now before the Peeps attack.

• Like 1

On Bastille Day?

It was so subtle not even I caught it.

• Like 2

On Bastille Day?

July 14th. So it would be a while. Go ahead an enjoy your cake now before the Peeps attack.

Quite right. We're building quite an army, so eat fast.

Aww guys...

...what about bacon sandwiches?

Need something savoury!

Edited by Segue Myles

On Bastille Day?

Quite right. We're building quite an army, so eat fast.

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/21/01/06/4460991/3/960x540.jpg

• Like 1

Why is it that topics like these always get driven WAY off course, while topics about R40 or some shit like that can spawn pages of regurgitated discussion about the (inconsequential) topic?

Oh yeah, and 11111st post :eyeroll:

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 2

Exactly The Oracle. I was gauging the reaction of two less successful albums after two more successful albums. I wasn't rating them, that's been done to death. We know the story of Caress of Steel after Fly By Night but I'm pretty sure A Farewell to Kings is not as commercial as 2112, the opening title track actually leaning more back to Caress of Steel. 2112 is a straightforward rock album and as a guitarist I find it reasonably easy to play but AFTK is more complex.
  • Like 2

My ratings for each of these albums

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

Not sure what else to say...lolsies!

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I think 2112 has two brilliant sides. But side B is not as great as side A.

As for CoS, absolute fanatic for it! The spoken word parts kinda annoy me but I love everything about the album otherwise. Even ITIGB, which is really fun!

AFTK is a 10/10, alongside HYF, MP and GUP.

About time someone gave Hold Your Fire some love.....Truly is one of the most underrated Rush albums.

• Like 1

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

As for CoS, absolute fanatic for it! The spoken word parts kinda annoy me but I love everything about the album otherwise. Even ITIGB, which is really fun!

About time someone gave Hold Your Fire some love.....Truly is one of the most underrated Rush albums.

HYF is pretty much my very favourite Rush album.

• Like 1

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

For me, all ten of this albums songs unite to create a work greater than the sum of its parts. And I also consider every song to be great!

Huge HYF fan, I think it is as tremendous an achievement as Hemisphere's, Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans and Dark Side Of The Moon.

Something magical happened in the studios recording this album, which may not appeal to everybody.

But such is life.

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

For me, all ten of this albums songs unite to create a work greater than the sum of its parts. And I also consider every song to be great!

Huge HYF fan, I think it is as tremendous an achievement as Hemisphere's, Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans and Dark Side Of The Moon.

Something magical happened in the studios recording this album, which may not appeal to everybody.

But such is life.

HYF has definitely grown on me in the last year or so. I used to despise it. When it came out it sounded so poppy and so anti-Rush that I didn't really give it a chance.

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

But such is life.

HYF has definitely grown on me in the last year or so. I used to despise it. When it came out it sounded so poppy and so anti-Rush that I didn't really give it a chance.

When I first heard it I frowned.

But there is something special about this album.

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

But such is life.

I think it's a transition album. They realized they were going to far away from what they did test which was being a hard rock trio. It was an experimental album which is interesting in itself.

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

But such is life.

I think it's a transition album. They realized they were going to far away from what they did test which was being a hard rock trio. It was an experimental album which is interesting in itself.

I think it ended their synth era as perfectly as Hemispheres ended their epic prog era. It is a magnificent album, but I am glad they relaxed a little for the next album.

Presto!

• Like 1