CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

Not sure what else to say...lolsies!

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I think 2112 has two brilliant sides. But side B is not as great as side A.

As for CoS, absolute fanatic for it! The spoken word parts kinda annoy me but I love everything about the album otherwise. Even ITIGB, which is really fun!

AFTK is a 10/10, alongside HYF, MP and GUP.

About time someone gave Hold Your Fire some love.....Truly is one of the most underrated Rush albums.

HYF is pretty much my very favourite Rush album.

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

For me, all ten of this albums songs unite to create a work greater than the sum of its parts. And I also consider every song to be great!

Huge HYF fan, I think it is as tremendous an achievement as Hemisphere's, Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans and Dark Side Of The Moon.

Something magical happened in the studios recording this album, which may not appeal to everybody.

But such is life.

HYF has definitely grown on me in the last year or so. I used to despise it. When it came out it sounded so poppy and so anti-Rush that I didn't really give it a chance.

When I first heard it I frowned.

But there is something special about this album.

I think it's a transition album. They realized they were going to far away from what they did test which was being a hard rock trio. It was an experimental album which is interesting in itself.

I think it ended their synth era as perfectly as Hemispheres ended their epic prog era. It is a magnificent album, but I am glad they relaxed a little for the next album.

Presto!

Sorry about the typos, I was on my phone. :D

I think Presto and Roll the Bones were floundering albums. I don't think they really knew where to go from the point they'd put themselves. It wasn't until Counterparts that they sounded more like a rock band again.

My ratings for each of these albums

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

As for CoS, absolute fanatic for it! The spoken word parts kinda annoy me but I love everything about the album otherwise. Even ITIGB, which is really fun!

About time someone gave Hold Your Fire some love.....Truly is one of the most underrated Rush albums.

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

For me, all ten of this albums songs unite to create a work greater than the sum of its parts. And I also consider every song to be great!

Huge HYF fan, I think it is as tremendous an achievement as Hemisphere's, Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans and Dark Side Of The Moon.

Something magical happened in the studios recording this album, which may not appeal to everybody.

But such is life.

HYF has definitely grown on me in the last year or so. I used to despise it. When it came out it sounded so poppy and so anti-Rush that I didn't really give it a chance.

I think it's a transition album. They realized they were going to far away from what they did test which was being a hard rock trio. It was an experimental album which is interesting in itself.

I think it ended their synth era as perfectly as Hemispheres ended their epic prog era. It is a magnificent album, but I am glad they relaxed a little for the next album.

Presto!

I think Presto and Roll the Bones were floundering albums. I don't think they really knew where to go from the point they'd put themselves. It wasn't until Counterparts that they sounded more like a rock band again.

Presto is the goofball little brother of Rush albums. I love it!

Counterparts has Stick It Out. I HATE THAT SONG.

Otherwise, Animate, Cold Fire, Everyday Glory, Alien Shore and Speed Of Love are amongst mt favourite Rush songs. Great album with one super sucky song.

Which knowing me I will love tomorrow.

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

But such is life.

Presto!

Otherwise, Animate, Cold Fire, Everyday Glory, Alien Shore and Speed Of Love are amongst mt favourite Rush songs. Great album with one super sucky song.

I like Stick It Out because it's such a heavy rocking song. That's it's appeal. But I can also see why you wouldn't like it.

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

But such is life.

Presto!

I like Stick It Out because it's such a heavy rocking song. That's it's appeal. But I can also see why you wouldn't like it.

I love the harder edge. But Vapor Trails rocked harder with much better songs.

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

But such is life.

Presto!

If you say so. I have a hard time listening to VT's due to all of the distortion, and even on the remixed version.

CoS 9.5

2112 9

AFTK 10

CoS 8

2112 7.75

AFTK 9.5

We are on the same page!

I love Hold Your Fire!

Yay!

But such is life.

Presto!

If you say so. I have a hard time listening to VT's due to all of the distortion, and even on the remixed version.

If VT had the production of CP, I would rank it alongside CoS-Presto.

That sound quality diminishes its enjoyability, but when I am in the mood I just LOVE the album.

Can you not post your own topic? Going back to my original topic, did anyone predict the feel and sound of AFTK after 2112? The comparison I've made is like hearing Presence after Physical Graffiti (Led Zep) or Lamb Lies Down... after Selling England by the Pound (Genesis).

Can you not post your own topic? Going back to my original topic, did anyone predict the feel and sound of AFTK after 2112? The comparison I've made is like hearing Presence after Physical Graffiti (Led Zep) or Lamb Lies Down... after Selling England by the Pound (Genesis).

Sorry buddy

"Going back to my original topic, did anyone predict the feel and sound of AFTK after 2112?" I remember well hearing AFTK after being obsessed with ATWAS and thinking that it wasn't at all what I had expected. I thought that apart from Xanadu, Rush had sort of come down to earth a little after the lofty heights of 2112 and ATWAS. In that sense, it did sort of feel like it fit with FBN and COS more than 2112. I knew guys who were more into the hard rock side of Rush that seemed to lose interest after ATWAS (granted, their interest was mostly limited to ATWAS). Of course Xanadu made any criticism moot, and then Hemispheres completely justified what still had seemed like a new direction.
  • Like 1

Thanks Rutlefan as I said before I heard 2112, Hemispheres then AFTK in that order. AFTK seemed out of place. Maybe because Hemispheres follows the same format as 2112, one long A side with shorter songs on the B side. For some reason I find it hard to define what is the A side and what is the B side on AFTK.
  • Like 1

Thanks Rutlefan as I said before I heard 2112, Hemispheres then AFTK in that order. AFTK seemed out of place. Maybe because Hemispheres follows the same format as 2112, one long A side with shorter songs on the B side. For some reason I find it hard to define what is the A side and what is the B side on AFTK.

You have a point. I do kind of have to think about which side of AFTK is which, while most other Rush albums seem more "natural" to me...

You have a point. I do kind of have to think about which side of AFTK is which, while most other Rush albums seem more "natural" to me...

Listen to AFTK on CD.

Only one side.

Listen to AFTK on CD.

Only one side.

Says the person who just mentioned "side 1" of AFTK... :)

Listen to AFTK on CD.

Only one side.

Says the person who just mentioned "side 1" of AFTK... :)

I have no problem telling which side is which!

Lolsies

Doesn't it come after AFTK? Isn't AFTK the first song on the album? :huh: Maybe the person who sent it to me scrambled the songs. I don't own the cd, nor did I ever have the album (much to my regret and stupidity).

I believe you have the correct track listing :)

Actually, CTTH is on side two, isn't it? Wouldn't the second side be much quieter than the first?

We know physically which is side A and B but AFTK the track doesn't come across well as the opening track, as good as it is.

Its my favourite opening Rush song!

• Like 1

We know physically which is side A and B but AFTK the track doesn't come across well as the opening track, as good as it is.

Its my favourite opening Rush song!

Better than Hems? ...:unsure:

Yes. Everything about AFTK is better than Hems. Including the Cygnus part.

Steven Wilson agrees, so that is enough to settle all matters for me!

COS may have been too ambitious for some although I loved it. AFTK was for me a huge leap forward from 2112. It was the first album they recorded without being under pressure, and was the first recorded outside Northj America.

This may have influenced their sound

• Like 1

COS may have been too ambitious for some although I loved it. AFTK was for me a huge leap forward from 2112. It was the first album they recorded without being under pressure, and was the first recorded outside Northj America.

This may have influenced their sound

I always sense a Britishiness in the AFTK'S sound. Something a tad...medieval about it that sweeps me to bygone days.

Even Xanadu, which is meant to portray oriental themes!

• Like 1