Context Menu Items in Win8?

Show Don't Tell

Since I upgraded to WIndows 8, I've had to reconfigure some of my personal settings, including some custom context menu entries for certain file types. I had an easy enough time doing this in Windows XP, but Windows 8 seems to be resistent to the changes somehow. I simply want to make it so for, say, all files of the extension .FLAC, there is an entry in the context menu that says Edit, and when clicked, it opens the file in Audacity.

I've tried the usual method in regedit as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.FLAC\shell\edit]
@="&Edit"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.FLAC\shell\edit\command]
@="C:\\PROGRA~2\\Audacity\\audacity.exe \"%1\""

and it works! Well for a while... It seems to disappear after a while. I think each time I close my laptop, restart, etc. it resets and the entry is gone.

Any help would be appreciated. Windows 8 is starting to cheese me off with it's "user-friendliness".

Edited by Show Don't Tell

I am not sure how to do it the way you are attempting to do it but wouldn't it be easier to just assign audacity as the default application for flac files? Then just double click them to open?

Now that is easy enough to do, but I still want foobar2000 to be the default application for opening FLAC files. I just want the Edit feature as a kind of shortcut to open with Audacity.

I am not sure how to do it the way you are attempting to do it but wouldn't it be easier to just assign audacity as the default application for flac files? Then just double click them to open?

Now that is easy enough to do, but I still want foobar2000 to be the default application for opening FLAC files. I just want the Edit feature as a kind of shortcut to open with Audacity.

I see. Not sure why the registry changes aren't working for this. Good luck figuring it out.

It's a registry hack for sure. No other way to do it.

If you're comfortable editing the registry, then here's a good guide. Not too hard at all.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-any-application-to-the-desktop-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Or you could install a 3rd party app. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/ContextEdit.shtml