Top 5 Home Consoles of All Time

LedRush

bioshock's not really innovative I guess, but it's a more unique concept than rereleasing a game from 1998 in HD and charging 60 dollars for it.

Yes, but that's completely irrelevant to the conversation. Sunshine and Galaxy were far more innovative then console shooters ever have been. Those are basically just reskinned versions of earlier games, perhaps with a different mechanic here or there.

I know this isn't SOCN, but I feel like you're arguing against a strawman that loves call of duty and any game with violence and thinks mario is "for babies."

you are the one who said super mario galaxy is more innovative than any shooter since 1996. I was saying that there are plenty of important and innovative shooters. has there been a truly innovative shooter in recent years? probably not. but I don't think you should dismiss half-life or the first halo as unimportant just because you prefer to play super mario 64 expansion paks every few years. :)

I like mario galaxy and mario sunshine more than halo too, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking nintendo rules the game world and hasn't stopped ruling just because it takes us back to being a small child

bioshock's not really innovative I guess, but it's a more unique concept than rereleasing a game from 1998 in HD and charging 60 dollars for it.

Yes, but that's completely irrelevant to the conversation. Sunshine and Galaxy were far more innovative then console shooters ever have been. Those are basically just reskinned versions of earlier games, perhaps with a different mechanic here or there.

I know this isn't SOCN, but I feel like you're arguing against a strawman that loves call of duty and any game with violence and thinks mario is "for babies."

you are the one who said super mario galaxy is more innovative than any shooter since 1996. I was saying that there are plenty of important and innovative shooters. has there been a truly innovative shooter in recent years? probably not. but I don't think you should dismiss half-life or the first halo as unimportant just because you prefer to play super mario 64 expansion paks every few years. :)

You might as well say all modern FPS are DOOM expansion packs

You might as well say all modern FPS are DOOM expansion packs

that's a bit of a stretch.

I was making a stretch too, I just think led was overestimating how innovative modern nintendo games are. f**k innovation though, play what you like.

1. PS1

2. Wii U

3. PS2

4. Wii

5. Xbox 360 (this gets ranked below the wii because it was the dawn on annoying online hassels for using video game systems. I have had too many bad experiences with this system's online details)

Any weird choices on here to you. That's because these are the only systems I have ever owned.

Also why is everyone putting the NES at the top. I sense some nostalgia goggles here.

Also why is everyone putting the NES at the top. I sense some nostalgia goggles here.

Punch Out!!, Mega Man 1-3, SMB 1 and 3 (and 2 wasn't bad), Zelda 1-2, Ducktales, Bionic Commando, Metroid, Duck Hunt, Castlevania 1 and 3 (and 2 wasn't bad), Kid Icarus, Ninja Gaiden, RC Pro Am, Final Fantasy, Contra, DuckTales, Kirby, Lode Runner, Metal Gear, Dragon Warrior, Life Force, Blades of Steel, Ice Hockey, Tecmo Bowl, Ring King, Double Dribble, Gradius, Metal Storm, Rush'n Attack, Tetris, Rygar, TMNT, Double Dragon, Rad Racer, Ghosts and Goblins, etc.

Edited by LedRush

I was arguing the position that Nintendo doesn't have exclusives for adults. I love Halo (playing the Master Chief Collection now), and I like CoD (I've played 75% of them, and loved the early ones). I didn't enjoy half-life, but I only played it several years after release, so I didn't seen anything too unique or interesting in it. In context, it is impressive. But the shooters...on consoles especially...don't innovate. The very slowly evolve. I am also arguing that Nintendo's main series haven't merely been rehashes and remakes like many of the exclusives on other systems. Nintendo makes incredibly high quality, innovative, and expansive first person games on their main series, especially Mario and Zelda. Mario has innovated at almost every turn, and Zelda did the same until the most recent releases (which did have a dramatic change in controller set up).

ok f**k this :laughing guy:

as for the NES, it's got some great games but being young and having played the better sequels before playing most of the originals, I wasn't too impressed with a lot of the games

I just finished up my basement projects... painted, new flooring, built the bar.... and just this week I got my old Atari 2600 hooked up. I have a bunch of games (at least 25), and there are a few I didn't even remember how to play.

I looked up how to play Superman, and what a crazy game. Lex Luthor blows up a bridge, you have to fly around and put Lex and his crew in jail and rebuild the bridge all while avoiding Kryptonite. If you get hit by the floating Kryptonite asterisks, you have to find Lois Lane and kiss her to get your powers back. :LOL:

Superman_Atari_2600_screenshot1a.png

• Like 1

I just finished up my basement projects... painted, new flooring, built the bar.... and just this week I got my old Atari 2600 hooked up. I have a bunch of games (at least 25), and there are a few I didn't even remember how to play.

I looked up how to play Superman, and what a crazy game. Lex Luthor blows up a bridge, you have to fly around and put Lex and his crew in jail and rebuild the bridge all while avoiding Kryptonite. If you get hit by the floating Kryptonite asterisks, you have to find Lois Lane and kiss her to get your powers back. :LOL:

When am I invited? I'll bring over some games and try Superman for the first time!

• Like 1

When am I invited? I'll bring over some games and try Superman for the first time!

You have an open invite, any time you're in the area!

I'll add pics of the basement to the "how handy" thread in RS tomorrow.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Well, I can't say that I'm not going to be biased, but on a list like this it's impossible not to be.

1. PS2

2. SNES

3. N64

4. PS3

5. Sega Dreamcast

Honorable Mention: Gamecube, X-Box 360

• Like 1

Sega Genesis

Sega Master System

PlayStation 2

Nintendo 64

Nintendo Wii

Honorable mention: Panasonic 3DO

The SMS? Wow. I have one with the 3D glasses and most of the 3D games ever made on it. None are that good, but the original Phantasy Star is one of my favorite games ever. I loved Miracle Warriors at the time, but that game hasn't aged nearly as well.

• Like 1

Sega Genesis

Sega Master System

PlayStation 2

Nintendo 64

Nintendo Wii

The SMS? Wow. I have one with the 3D glasses and most of the 3D games ever made on it. None are that good, but the original Phantasy Star is one of my favorite games ever. I loved Miracle Warriors at the time, but that game hasn't aged nearly as well.

Which were your favorites? Other than Phantasy Star, I was blown away by R-Type (never beat it), After Burner, Out Run, and Space Harrier (3D mother truckers). Some other great games were released, though I liked them better on the Genesis, like the Sonics and Altered Beast.

Sega Genesis

Sega Master System

PlayStation 2

Nintendo 64

Nintendo Wii

Which were your favorites? Other than Phantasy Star, I was blown away by R-Type (never beat it), After Burner, Out Run, and Space Harrier (3D mother truckers). Some other great games were released, though I liked them better on the Genesis, like the Sonics and Altered Beast.

Along with several of those that you mentioned, I was a big fan of Fantasy Zone 1 and 2, all of the Wonder Boy games, Zillion, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Choplifter, Double Dragon, and a clever little egg-drop strategy game called Penguin Land.

• Like 1

Sega Genesis

Sega Master System

PlayStation 2

Nintendo 64

Nintendo Wii

Along with several of those that you mentioned, I was a big fan of Fantasy Zone 1 and 2, all of the Wonder Boy games, Zillion, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Choplifter, Double Dragon, and a clever little egg-drop strategy game called Penguin Land.

I loved Wonder Boy in ____ and Alex Kidd...can't believe I haven't added them to my physical collection (I have these on the 360). I never played Fantasy Zone back in the day, but I do love the 3D version on the 3DS.

You may be the only person I've ever met that would put the SMS in your top consoles list. I love it!

• Like 1