Have Neil ever done Meet And Greet?

YYZumbi

^^^^^For the record I am a huge VW fan and have owned 2 buses in the past 7-10 years or so. Not a Samba unfortunately, just a regular old 71' and 73' Transporter. I miss them too..... :( Edited by Narpski

Neil did an unofficial meet n greet with me and a couple friends at the back entrance of the Watergate hotel in May of '81. They were all very friendly and seemed genuinely happy (or an induced happiness). Perhaps they found it amusing my friend was appearing to take flash-aided photos(this friend knew there was no film in the camera but snapped away anyhow to give them a laugh) as we followed behind their limo. Again, all three were in good spirits and spent a moment with us in conversation. It was a dream come true for a 19 yr old kid who'd only saw their images countless times on album covers or rock mags. My head was reeling after meeting Alex and shaking his hand :) "Can I shake ur hand, Mr. Lifeson?" Lmao!!

Note of interest: This contact occurred during the moving pictures tour which showcased the song, Limelight (among others). I didnt make that connection til many yrs later!

Great story dude. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

neil has met fans outside of shows, there's no doubt about it. anyone in any band in history has done that. does anyone really think he was running straight for the tour bus after a show in 1974? but he has never done an official meet-and-greet, no.

Would be hilarious to see if he was back then... :LOL:

Did they even have a tour bus back then?

Running toward something like this..... :LOL:

1610847_748318005247270_2236935024421762483_n.jpg?oh=3e8a66e38f26cb6609ed44fdf10fade9&oe=54DA0708

I was thinking something more along the lines of the Scooby van. :LOL:

neil has met fans outside of shows, there's no doubt about it. anyone in any band in history has done that. does anyone really think he was running straight for the tour bus after a show in 1974? but he has never done an official meet-and-greet, no.

Would be hilarious to see if he was back then... :LOL:

Did they even have a tour bus back then?

Running toward something like this..... :LOL:

1610847_748318005247270_2236935024421762483_n.jpg?oh=3e8a66e38f26cb6609ed44fdf10fade9&oe=54DA0708

I was thinking something more along the lines of the Scooby van. :LOL:

Ah. The Mystery Machine..... :cheers:
  • Like 1

March 1986, Power Windows Tour, the Montreal Forum. We were a few fans waiting outside in the FREEZING cold to try to get our tour books signed. Someone opened a door and told us that the band had requested we come inside so that they could sign all our stuff. I met Geddy, NEIL and Alex in that order... Great memory for a 17 YO kid!! :7up: Edited by Supersyl
  • Like 3

From Wikipedia (Neil Peart entry):

"At the start of the ensuing tour in support of the album [Vapor Trails], it was decided amongst the band members that Peart would not take part in the daily grind of press interviews and "meet and greet" sessions upon their arrival in a new city that typically monopolize a touring band's daily schedule. Peart has always shied away from these types of in-person encounters, and it was decided that exposing him to an endless stream of questions about the tragic events of his life was not necessary."

This makes it sound as though he did participate in those things prior to Vapor Trails. It's hard to imagine, though.

It does. And he did.

I have a glossy signed by all three of them when I was able to visit with them prior to a show on the Presto tour. That was more than 24 years ago, though.

For what it's worth, the guys were all pleasant and polite (yes, even Neil). Just because he didn't enjoy those things didn't mean he was incapable of doing them.

• Like 2

"At the start of the ensuing tour in support of the album [Vapor Trails], it was decided amongst the band members that Peart would not take part in the daily grind of press interviews and "meet and greet" sessions upon their arrival in a new city that typically monopolize a touring band's daily schedule. Peart has always shied away from these types of in-person encounters, and it was decided that exposing him to an endless stream of questions about the tragic events of his life was not necessary."

This makes it sound as though he did participate in those things prior to Vapor Trails. It's hard to imagine, though.

It does doesn't it....

No, it doesn't. The band did not do meet and greets until Vapor Trails. That statement only refers to Neil no longer dealing with the press.

Not doubting you - just wonder how you know.

Have you ever seen any Meet and Greet photos and/or heard first-hand account of meet and greets online or in person from before VT?

I didn't think so.

It's called reasonable deduction.

I won front row tickets and a meet and greet/photo/autographs with Alex and Geddy on the Roll The Bones tour. There were also people backstage that evening from the local radio station contests.

Edited by mandydog

It does doesn't it....

No, it doesn't. The band did not do meet and greets until Vapor Trails. That statement only refers to Neil no longer dealing with the press.

Have you ever seen any Meet and Greet photos and/or heard first-hand account of meet and greets online or in person from before VT?

I didn't think so.

I won front row tickets and a meet and greet/photo/autographs with Alex and Geddy on the Roll The Bones tour. There were also people backstage that evening from the local radio station contests.

I don't consider those meet and greets. That's winning a contest to me. :)

It does doesn't it....

I didn't think so.

It's winning a contest to everybody....a contest where you win a chance to "Meet" them and "greet" them
  • Like 2

It does doesn't it....

I didn't think so.

It's winning a contest to everybody....a contest where you win a chance to "Meet" them and "greet" them

Yeah. The only other way is to pay high "extortion fees" to the band in advance.

I think it's horrible that you have to pay anything in order to get close enough to members of a band that have meant a lot to you throughout the years in order to have the opportunity of telling them that.

I hope she doesn't mind me bringing her up, but Rush gave GM the will to go on when everything else failed. They should know something like that. And she's not the only one they have helped.

• Like 1

Have "Meet And Greets" changed in modern years? In that you now have to pay through the nose to meet the big bands? One of my friends had a meet-and-greet with Kiss recently, and it wasn't cheap!

We probably need to put a caveat with Kiss.... everything they do is driven by money. Kiss are not a band, they are a business (a very profitable one at that). They probably invented the whole pay to meet the band model.

I was able to meet the band back in 1990 because I had some connections to the venue and was able to get invited in conjuction with a local radio station event. Back in the day, that's how most of the meet-and-greet events were handled: listener contests and/or knowing someone with a connection on the promoter side.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

Have "Meet And Greets" changed in modern years? In that you now have to pay through the nose to meet the big bands? One of my friends had a meet-and-greet with Kiss recently, and it wasn't cheap!

We probably need to put a caveat with Kiss.... everything they do is driven by money. Kiss are not a band, they are a business (a very profitable one at that). They probably invented the whole pay to meet the band model.

I was able to meet the band back in 1990 because I had some connections to the venue and was able to get invited in conjuctions with a local radio station event. Back in the day, that's how most of the meet-and-greet events were handled: listener contests and/or knowing someone with a connection on the promoter side.

True,

Back in the day it was different. But bands are not just showing the world their talent. They have to pay bills like any one else, If they profit off of it it's a good thing. Hard work never hurt any one.

It does doesn't it....

I didn't think so.

I think any of us would be hard pressed to find photos from any form of meet-and-greet prior to the VT tour for a one very simple reason. The VT tour was in 2002.

The first US market camera phone (a Sanyo model - hard to believe Sanyo was cutting edge back then) was not available until November of that same year (about the same time that tour was wrapping up - in Brazil). The first iPhone, in fact, was not released, for another 5 years. Basically, even as recently as 12 years ago, the only way you were taking a photo at a concert or meet-and-greet was with an actual camera and, trust me, cameras were not allowed in most, if not nearly all, venues at that time. Frankly, if you showed up with a camera back then, it was getting confiscated.

Until very recently, artists, nearly all of them, were very particular about cameras (still and video) at their concerts and backstage. Management kept a tight lid on who was allowed to take pictures and when. The only reason the atmosphere changed was the prolifertaion of cell phone cameras in the last 7 years. Venues, promoters, and artists all realized fighting the trend was a losing battle that required much more energy than it was worth (the same reason they generally don't fight to take things off YouTube anymore, either).

Neil did an unofficial meet n greet with me and a couple friends at the back entrance of the Watergate hotel in May of '81. They were all very friendly and seemed genuinely happy (or an induced happiness). Perhaps they found it amusing my friend was appearing to take flash-aided photos(this friend knew there was no film in the camera but snapped away anyhow to give them a laugh) as we followed behind their limo. Again, all three were in good spirits and spent a moment with us in conversation. It was a dream come true for a 19 yr old kid who'd only saw their images countless times on album covers or rock mags. My head was reeling after meeting Alex and shaking his hand :) "Can I shake ur hand, Mr. Lifeson?" Lmao!!

Note of interest: This contact occurred during the moving pictures tour which showcased the song, Limelight (among others). I didnt make that connection til many yrs later!

That's the thing. When MP came out, the only songs i was listening to were the ones sung by Mr. Rogers and the Sesame Street gang. Since then, I've become part of a far more cynical and impatient generation of people who will only tolerate so much for so long. Even the iPad ticks me off when the connection is lost, so I'm not about to get involved in what would be an embarrassing social disaster with a rock band. :huh:

• Like 1

I was able to meet the band back in 1990 because I had some connections to the venue and was able to get invited in conjuction with a local radio station event. Back in the day, that's how most of the meet-and-greet events were handled: listener contests and/or knowing someone with a connection on the promoter side.

It is cool how KISS does a little acoustic set for the fans pre-show.

It does doesn't it....

I didn't think so.

Well, Tony R just said they used to go sign autographs after every show. You should deduct your reasoning some more

And you just blindly believe this? With this band?!?!?!? :LOL:

hello savage

I don't use that stupid emoticon nor ridiculous amounts of punctuation.

Edited by savagegrace26

It does doesn't it....

I didn't think so.

Well, Tony R just said they used to go sign autographs after every show. You should deduct your reasoning some more

And you just blindly believe this? With this band?!?!?!? :LOL:

hello savage

I don't use that stupid emoticon nor ridiculous amounts of punctuation.

Nor did his post have any dark sarcastic "humor" that could easily be misinterpreted as being offensive...

He's very direct and literal.

The practice of the "Meet & Greet" is a relatively recent phenomena.

'Back in the day' those who were fortunate enough to get an AFTERSHOW or VIP pass would be taken into a hospitality suite (or sometimes to catering) and any of the band members who felt like it would stop in after freshening up to chat, sign stuff and if the person was able to sneak in a small camera, take a quick photo.

I didn't see Neil at many of these... only 1 or 2 actually.

One of the best though was at the Forum in L.A. on HYF.

I'm pretty sure it was the 2nd night of the HYF tour (though it might have been the first.. that was a looooong time ago!)

The aftershow party both nights was in the Forum Club.. a bar/restaurant for the VIP's and I guess he heard that a lot of celebs were there so he decided to make a showing... and after walking in the door, looking into the packed room he simply turned around and walked out.. pretty much unnoticed.

Those of us who were not there to celeb watch were rather disappointed because we had been told Neil would probably show up so there were a couple cameras among the group of us.

• Like 2

The practice of the "Meet & Greet" is a relatively recent phenomena.

'Back in the day' those who were fortunate enough to get an AFTERSHOW or VIP pass would be taken into a hospitality suite (or sometimes to catering) and any of the band members who felt like it would stop in after freshening up to chat, sign stuff and if the person was able to sneak in a small camera, take a quick photo.

I didn't see Neil at many of these... only 1 or 2 actually.

One of the best though was at the Forum in L.A. on HYF.

I'm pretty sure it was the 2nd night of the HYF tour (though it might have been the first.. that was a looooong time ago!)

The aftershow party both nights was in the Forum Club.. a bar/restaurant for the VIP's and I guess he heard that a lot of celebs were there so he decided to make a showing... and after walking in the door, looking into the packed room he simply turned around and walked out.. pretty much unnoticed.

Those of us who were not there to celeb watch were rather disappointed because we had been told Neil would probably show up so there were a couple cameras among the group of us.

He didn't recognize you? You must have gotten lost in the crowd. ;)