Chemistry

toymaker

I listened to this the other day when my friend toymaker posted this because truthfully I had forgotten. The intro is pretty damn awesome and the song very good truth be told. It must have been forgettable for me or I am just starting to lose my memory in general. A song as good as this just somehow had gotten lost in the fog.... :sigh: :codger:

Honestly I think that people are going back and listening to the older stuff and appreciating it more now since Geddys vocals have been going downhill.

When I watch the Grace Under Pressure show/video last week for the first time it was honestly one of the first things that struck me after his haircut.... :LOL:
  • Like 1

I listened to this the other day when my friend toymaker posted this because truthfully I had forgotten. The intro is pretty damn awesome and the song very good truth be told. It must have been forgettable for me or I am just starting to lose my memory in general. A song as good as this just somehow had gotten lost in the fog.... :sigh: :codger:

Honestly I think that people are going back and listening to the older stuff and appreciating it more now since Geddys vocals have been going downhill.

When I watch the Grace Under Pressure show/video last week for the first time it was honestly one of the first things that struck me after his haircut.... :LOL:

Me too! :LOL:

• Like 1

I say this as a fellow bald man.... who are you to judge any man's hair!?

:tsk:

• Like 3

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Well you know, the truth is the truth.

Are you talking about that beautiful shag-do Geddy has? :wub: :wub: :wub: You know, not every head of hair could carry that cut. I would have almost given anything to have had a head of hair like him.

Yes, but comments like that always start sparks a-flying around here. :ph34r:

I'm listening to Hemispheres right now.... :)

Are you talking about that beautiful shag-do Geddy has? :wub: :wub: :wub: You know, not every head of hair could carry that cut. I would have almost given anything to have had a head of hair like him.

I think you would've rather had his head of hair… in your hands. :)

What do you mean his voice is going down hill. How dare you post such a thing!! :rage:

:LOL:

• Like 1

What do you mean his voice is going down hill. How dare you post such a thing!! :rage:

:LOL:

:P

Somewhere along the line, my least favorite songs on this album became my favorites. Those songs are Countdown and Chemistry. Both sound pretty unique to me and have some real interesting ideas. Chemistry just seems to have it all: awesome verse, cool drum rhythm during prechorus, epic chorus, and Alex's cyclical guitar part.

It's just so nerdy and uniquely 80's Rush.

• Like 1

Somewhere along the line, my least favorite songs on this album became my favorites. Those songs are Countdown and Chemistry. Both sound pretty unique to me and have some real interesting ideas. Chemistry just seems to have it all: awesome verse, cool drum rhythm during prechorus, epic chorus, and Alex's cyclical guitar part.

A few years ago, my daughter, she was probably in middle school at the time, was riding in the truck and I had Countdown playing. She commented that the song was very "visual". I asked her what she meant and she referenced the first few verses:

Lit up with anticipation

We arrive at the launching site

The sky is still dark, nearing dawn

On the Florida coastline

Circling choppers slash the night

With roving searchlight beams

This magic day when super-science

Mingles with the bright stuff of dreams

Floodlit in the hazy distance

The star of this unearthly show

Venting vapours, like the breath

Of a sleeping white dragon

She said that listening to the song she could actually see the shuttle on the pad and felt as if she was there for the launch. Very 80s. Very Rush. And, yes, agreed, very nerdy. I can't help but think Neil must have done something right with those lyrics if a pre-teen middle schooler could connect with it 25 years later and after the shuttle program had been scrapped.

Damn this band and their getting kids interested in science and space exploration!

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 7

Just a couple of responses to the aforementioned:

1. Signals is just damned awesome. If there is anything "nerdy" about it, to me it is lost in an avalanche of sonic awesomeness.

2. I prefer to think of Lee's voice as just entering a new phase, rather than "going downhill." Just as the youthful screeching marked by the occasional Yosemite Sam-style "oooohhh" gave way to a more controlled, vibrato-tinged "wailsong," which was replaced by the straighter but highly melodic, "more mature" sound, now we have . . . something else. His voice has changed, but to me it is still full and rich and emotional.

Phil Collins' voice and Ian Anderson's voice, as they got older, kind of became pinched and nasally and weird, and I mourned the loss of the robust timbre of their singing voices. I wish Lee wouldn't push the notes so hard when singing live. I still really love his singing voice, though. It's different, but I think he's still pouring his heart and soul into it. I love how "game" he is. Rasculinkinizwicsz (sp?) said, I want you singing high like in the old days, and Geddy said, all right, let's go. And he sounds pretty damned good for his age. Most 60 year old dudes I know sound like a rusty screen door.

• Like 1

Just a couple of responses to the aforementioned:

1. Signals is just damned awesome. If there is anything "nerdy" about it, to me it is lost in an avalanche of sonic awesomeness.

2. I prefer to think of Lee's voice as just entering a new phase, rather than "going downhill." Just as the youthful screeching marked by the occasional Yosemite Sam-style "oooohhh" gave way to a more controlled, vibrato-tinged "wailsong," which was replaced by the straighter but highly melodic, "more mature" sound, now we have . . . something else. His voice has changed, but to me it is still full and rich and emotional.

Phil Collins' voice and Ian Anderson's voice, as they got older, kind of became pinched and nasally and weird, and I mourned the loss of the robust timbre of their singing voices. I wish Lee wouldn't push the notes so hard when singing live. I still really love his singing voice, though. It's different, but I think he's still pouring his heart and soul into it. I love how "game" he is. Rasculinkinizwicsz (sp?) said, I want you singing high like in the old days, and Geddy said, all right, let's go. And he sounds pretty damned good for his age. Most 60 year old dudes I know sound like a rusty screen door.

Yeah I think it sounds like he's forcing the notes out now. When he relaxes and doesn't push as hard he sounds more like his old self.

• Like 1

It's a good song that falls victim to being surrounded by mostly great songs.
  • Like 1

That guitar part always sounds like it would be difficult to play to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

That guitar part always sounds like it would be difficult to play to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think you're right, if you're talking about the high-pitched looping thing he does.

I think you're right, if you're talking about the high-pitched looping thing he does.

It kind of sounds like the same hammer-on pull-off type thing that Alex does in The Spirit of Radio intro. I'm sure an experienced guitarist could do that part quite easily. But it sounds awesome.

• Like 1

It kind of sounds like the same hammer-on pull-off type thing that Alex does in The Spirit of Radio intro. I'm sure an experienced guitarist could do that part quite easily. But it sounds awesome.

high e string: 13p12 b string: 15p12 13p12 and repeat etc.

• Like 1

high e string: 13p12 b string: 15p12 13p12 and repeat etc.

:blink: ..... :)
  • Like 1