Geddy Lee: Rush Undecided on 2015 Tour

antiquark

This is pretty sad to think about but they are at a point where touring is going to be harder and face it, Neil has a lot of hobbies and at this point in their lives many people would want to relax and just enjoy life without the kind of stress that touring brings.

That's why I think the Time Machine tour was kind of a waste. They toured and recorded for about four years straight between the Time Machine tour, the Clockworks Angels tour, and the CA album and it's probably taken a toll on them.

Maybe they should consider doing tours that last only a few months and only every year or so. It could be economically worthwhile if they scale the shows back a little. These long drawn out tours aren't necessary anymore.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

I know this is very selfish of me to say, but this really gets me mad. My whole damn life I've come in at the tail end of everything. Apparently this will include Rush too. For all of you who have sat through three hour Rush concerts in the past, count your blessings. I think those days are over.

I don't begrudge Rush their retirement. They have worked very, very hard for many decades. But. Still...... :(

You can't blame Rush for that, they have toured for 40 years, you have had many chances to see them live.

How do you know that she had the chance? If she did, I'm sure she would have taken it:

Because she is from USA (atleast thats what I have heard), and Rush have been there maaaany times...

I know this is very selfish of me to say, but this really gets me mad. My whole damn life I've come in at the tail end of everything. Apparently this will include Rush too. For all of you who have sat through three hour Rush concerts in the past, count your blessings. I think those days are over.

I don't begrudge Rush their retirement. They have worked very, very hard for many decades. But. Still...... :(

You can't blame Rush for that, they have toured for 40 years, you have had many chances to see them live.

How do you know that she had the chance? If she did, I'm sure she would have taken it:

Because she is from USA (atleast thats what I have heard), and Rush have been there maaaany times...

Good thing she doesn't live in South Africa. She'd REALLY be complaining.

No money in albums. They are not going to spend oodles on making a new album and not recoup the financial loss.

And that might be the biggest reason for the R40 DVD set.

Neil planned this boxset way back when he decided to return to Rush after his ghost riding days. This boxset is the sole reason for the last five tours and he made sure the Test for Echo tour wasn't released with that cockamamie sync-issue story. This boxset was his master plan all along. He is in charge of the merchandising right?

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

Man, I have never had the chance to see Rush. I wish that the 'fan event' tour that Geddy was talking about should really come to Australia so that we can get some of the awesomeness that so many others have seen. That is, if they tour again, which I really hope they do

The R40 set is good for us lot that live in Outer Pomgolia because they will never tour down here.I would like a repeat of last time with a couple tunes, a tour,then an album.All in the' fullness of time'of course.

It costs money to go to a show.

• Like 1

Yes, but if she can't afford it, thats not Rush problem, right? She still have got a chance to see them.

Yes, but if she can't afford it, thats not Rush problem, right? She still have got a chance to see them.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Len has won the argument! :ebert:

• Like 1

You are an insensitive snip that hasn't a clue as to the reality of the day to day lives of people. You are divorced from reality.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

You are in insensitive snip that hasn't a clue as to the reality of the day to day lives of people. You are divorced from reality.

What a nice response to some very immature, unfeeling comments. Bravo. :)

• Like 1

You are an insensitive snip that hasn't a clue as to the reality of the day to day lives of people. You are divorced from reality.

Let us not forget who we're dealing with...a super hot Swedish chick who posts under the guise of a spoiled prince :LOL: to quote a great poster
  • Like 2

Let us not forget who we're dealing with...a super hot Swedish chick who posts under the guise of a spoiled rich prince :LOL: to quote a great poster

fixed

Syl, it's not playing ONE Rush song, it's the duration of the shows and tour. And he hits HARD.

If you don't think that is hard, taxing and difficult, you're either Superman or full of it. It's not impossible, but no doubt it's a bitch.

Granted, the lifestyle doesn't help, but it keeps him sane. Maybe he could drive instead. Or just find a way to hang with other guys.

Or he's half Neil's age.

I call bull. Can he play a Rush song? Maybe. But show us. Then play 20 songs with power and finesse, and repeat every other night.

It doesn't matter if he can play one Rush song or ten. Plenty of people can play Rush songs.

But plenty of people haven't been Neil Peart, who have spent the better part of 40 years and thousands of shows doing it tour after tour.

You can't compare the two things.

• Like 1

We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I can start my first row fund. If this is it I'm all in...

Alex may be enthusiastic to write but of the three, I think he is the least enthusiastic about touring. Neil always talks about the importance of live performance and Geddy seems eager enough too.

I don't think so. I understand what you're saying...but I think it's well documented that Neil is by far the least interested in touring. He has stated that he "accepts" it as "part of the job"...but he has been talking about quitting touring since around the time of Hold Your Fire, I believe. Now, you couple that in with the fact that he has a very young child at home, and you can understand why he might be even more hesitant to want to leave again.

At their ages, I don't doubt that touring is difficult. Plus, when they go, they go all out. Big tours, Videos, 3-hour shows playing their crazy material. It's a tough gig, and we should be thankful they even choose to do it any more.

Exactly. Neil is in a much different stage of life than Alex and Geddy. I can't begrudge him for that (although I suspect some will - probably the same folks who criticize him as robot, void of emotion!).

When I read the article, though, the sense I got was the question is not so much whether or not Rush will do something in the future, but what will they do and when.

There's a much different level of commitment if they record an album and then go out "in support" of that album (granted, that is a dated construct for the industry, but also exactly what they did for CA), rather than a short North American summer tour.

Either way, if and when they do tour (I suspect they will), expect more of the same structure. Generally in larger cities. A full day off between shows. Etc.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

Syl, it's not playing ONE Rush song, it's the duration of the shows and tour. And he hits HARD.

If you don't think that is hard, taxing and difficult, you're either Superman or full of it. It's not impossible, but no doubt it's a bitch.

Granted, the lifestyle doesn't help, but it keeps him sane. Maybe he could drive instead. Or just find a way to hang with other guys.

Or he's half Neil's age.

I call bull. Can he play a Rush song? Maybe. But show us. Then play 20 songs with power and finesse, and repeat every other night.

It doesn't matter if he can play one Rush song or ten. Plenty of people can play Rush songs.

But plenty of people haven't been Neil Peart, who have spent the better part of 40 years and thousands of shows doing it tour after tour.

You can't compare the two things.

No, but I mean, it's not really the drumming part that exhausts him the most... It's all the OFF-ROAD motorcycling and non music related stuff he does on tour that takes its toll.... PLUS the drumming.... Sure it's harder at 60+ than at 30... But that's exactly the point.... People on tour try to save their energy for the tour, you know, the MUSIC part, while this guy at 60+ wastes most of it doing non-music related stuff at an age where he should do exactly the opposite... Save his energy for the performance.... :codger:

And to all the haters about my comment about Rush songs not being that hard to play, instead of bitching like a bunch of 13 year old teenagers, buy yourself some musical instruments and try becomng a musician before belittling the ones that actually do! Cheers! :moon:

"Bitching like a bunch of 13 year old teenagers"? Really? Says the person who ends his comment with a mooning avatar. And no one bitched - they called you out.

Yes, the are that hard to play. I never said impossible, but just about everyone feels Rush is hard to play.

So post a video of just one song. You know, because they're not "that hard."

"Bitching like a bunch of 13 year old teenagers"? Really? Says the person who ends his comment with a mooning avatar. And no one bitched - they called you out.

Yes, the are that hard to play. I never said impossible, but just about everyone feels Rush is hard to play.

Yeah, unless you're Mike Mangini, at least some Rush songs would be considered pretty damn hard

There you go... "Enjoy"! :cheers:

• Like 2