Geddy Lee: Rush Undecided on 2015 Tour

antiquark

I know this is very selfish of me to say, but this really gets me mad. My whole damn life I've come in at the tail end of everything. Apparently this will include Rush too. For all of you who have sat through three hour Rush concerts in the past, count your blessings. I think those days are over.

I don't begrudge Rush their retirement. They have worked very, very hard for many decades. But. Still...... :(

Dont worry, Lorraine. They're (I mean all three) are only whetting the already voracious Rush fan appetite. Its yet another marketing ploy to guarantee that every individual with an interest in Rush do whatever it takes to keep the flame burning :) So rest ur heart!

• Like 2

I know this is very selfish of me to say, but this really gets me mad. My whole damn life I've come in at the tail end of everything. Apparently this will include Rush too. For all of you who have sat through three hour Rush concerts in the past, count your blessings. I think those days are over.

I don't begrudge Rush their retirement. They have worked very, very hard for many decades. But. Still...... :(

Dont worry, Lorraine. They're (I mean all three) are only whetting the already voracious Rush fan appetite. Its yet another marketing ploy to guarantee that every individual with an interest in Rush do whatever it takes to keep the flame burning :) So rest ur heart!

And my bank account. If i had one to rest. :laughing guy:

• Like 1

I think Neil should play on computerized "Drum pads" that dont require the labor-intensity of a regular kit. He'd be playing stuff like an EDM DJ would but still have control of specific elements of each strike. Or just play a stripped kit. Be funny to see him sitting up in the middle like a dj :) Besides, I think Rush should incorporate more technology and musical ideas from edm. Sheesh, Neil was shamefully rapping back in the 90's! :)

It could work, a predominately prog-rock song with a dubstep section could be the next Vital Signs....

I'm a drummer... Playing Rush songs is not THAT hard... Sorry... (Especially the way he's been cutting corners since the old man changed his style 17 years ago) Skip the stupid 10 minute drum solo, skip the stupid 500 miles of motorcycling on show day in the middle of the hottest months of the year, maybe Neil will go to bed a little less tired after a show...

I saw a comment on Rolling Stone's website saying that they should just shorten their tours and I fully agree. I know that they want to please their fans, but if touring is so physically and mentally demanding, shorter tours could help.

I'm a drummer... Playing Rush songs is not THAT hard... Sorry... (Especially the way he's been cutting corners since the old man changed his style 17 years ago) Skip the stupid 10 minute drum solo, skip the stupid 500 miles of motorcycling on show day in the middle of the hottest months of the year, maybe Neil will go to bed a little less tired after a show...

i don't think he should skip his solos entirely, they are pretty cool to watch and hear, but he could shorten them or only do one.

Syl, it's not playing ONE Rush song, it's the duration of the shows and tour. And he hits HARD.

If you don't think that is hard, taxing and difficult, you're either Superman or full of it. It's not impossible, but no doubt it's a bitch.

Granted, the lifestyle doesn't help, but it keeps him sane. Maybe he could drive instead. Or just find a way to hang with other guys.

• Like 1

i don't think he should skip his solos entirely, they are pretty cool to watch and hear, but he could shorten them or only do one.

No way he'll drop a solo. It's Rush tradition. And they challenge him.

Edited by upstateNYfan

No way he'll drop a solo. It's Rush tradition. And they challenge him.

who knows, it could be different when it concerns his health. and the solos may be the least of his problems.

I think Neil should play on computerized "Drum pads" that dont require the labor-intensity of a regular kit. He'd be playing stuff like an EDM DJ would but still have control of specific elements of each strike. Or just play a stripped kit. Be funny to see him sitting up in the middle like a dj :) Besides, I think Rush should incorporate more technology and musical ideas from edm. Sheesh, Neil was shamefully rapping back in the 90's! :)

If you mean the rap during Roll The Bones, that was Geddy rapping, not Neil...

Neil wrote it though

Neil wrote it though

Yes, he did

Hearing that both Ged & Al are raring to go on a new album makes it no contest for me and is great news. The guys obviously awash in creative juice and need to get the sh*t out NOW when motivated.

A tour big or small to wind down with after would obviously be great if it fits in their family lives but GET THAT NEW SH*T OUT AS SOON AS POSS.

• Like 1

Hearing that both Ged & Al are raring to go on a new album makes it no contest for me and is great news. The guys obviously awash in creative juice and need to get the sh*t out NOW when motivated.

A tour big or small to wind down with after would obviously be great if it fits in their family lives but GET THAT NEW SH*T OUT AS SOON AS POSS.

Exactly. As much as I love watching them live...I would love to see them for-go the tour to get back in the studio in 2015. Like you said...with the guys having motivation, it is imperative that they 'strike while the iron is hot'. Plus, I remember Geddy saying before that he was never a big fan of touring without new material (which was the main reason for Feedback on R30, and Caravan/BU2B on TM).

This is the perfect opportunity. At the very least, I would love for them to do like CA, and maybe record a few tracks before heading on tour. That would be nice.

• Like 1

Syl, it's not playing ONE Rush song, it's the duration of the shows and tour. And he hits HARD.

If you don't think that is hard, taxing and difficult, you're either Superman or full of it. It's not impossible, but no doubt it's a bitch.

Granted, the lifestyle doesn't help, but it keeps him sane. Maybe he could drive instead. Or just find a way to hang with other guys.

Or he's half Neil's age.

Alex may be enthusiastic to write but of the three, I think he is the least enthusiastic about touring. Neil always talks about the importance of live performance and Geddy seems eager enough too.

In the Rush book I have, Alex was already wondering at the age of fifty, right before they embarked on the R30 tour, how he was going to do it.

Edited by Lorraine

Or he's half Neil's age.

I call bull. Can he play a Rush song? Maybe. But show us. Then play 20 songs with power and finesse, and repeat every other night.

• Like 2

Or he's half Neil's age.

I call bull. Can he play a Rush song? Maybe. But show us. Then play 20 songs with power and finesse, and repeat every other night.

Speaking for myself, at the age of sixty, I could never ever ever do what they do and, frankly, I don't know HOW they do it, or how they will do it should they decide to tour next year.

The only thing I can think of is that they are used to it and, as Geddy said in the RS interview, it's in their blood.

• Like 2

Or he's half Neil's age.

Speaking for myself, at the age of sixty, I could never ever ever do what they do and, frankly, I don't know HOW they do it, or how they will do it should they decide to tour next year.

The only thing I can think of is that they are used to it and, as Geddy said in the RS interview, it's in their blood.

It's surprising how far people will go when they truly love something! I really hope they go out this year, you deserve another chance to see them :D
  • Like 1

Alex may be enthusiastic to write but of the three, I think he is the least enthusiastic about touring. Neil always talks about the importance of live performance and Geddy seems eager enough too.

I don't think so. I understand what you're saying...but I think it's well documented that Neil is by far the least interested in touring. He has stated that he "accepts" it as "part of the job"...but he has been talking about quitting touring since around the time of Hold Your Fire, I believe. Now, you couple that in with the fact that he has a very young child at home, and you can understand why he might be even more hesitant to want to leave again.

At their ages, I don't doubt that touring is difficult. Plus, when they go, they go all out. Big tours, Videos, 3-hour shows playing their crazy material. It's a tough gig, and we should be thankful they even choose to do it any more.