Books To Share: Favourite Books and Book Recommendations Thread

Segue Myles

I am re-reading the Harry Potter books right now. It is so fun to read these after so long. I last read them in 2007 when the last one was released. My favorite thing about them is that the characters are real to me. I am 70% through PoA and enjoying it thoroughly.

Is anyone here on Goodreads? If so and you want to friend me there my user name is Catherine Harrison https://www.goodread...3797-catherine

I'm on there now and then. I'll see if I can friend you. I can't believe it's been that long since the last Harry Potter book was out? That's amazing.

Yep. I am finding that I didn't remember as much as I thought about plot details, so it's fresh but familiar at the same time. It's good to return to a favorite series after a longish break. I have many books and series that I re-read regularly but I do tend to give them a long season between. I recently read the Chronicles of Narnia to my younger children and I hadn't read those in probably 15 years. I read TLotR and the Hobbit at least every 4-5 years and never get tired of revisiting them. I swear they get better every time.

The Chronicles of Narnia was the first book series I remember reading as a kid. I was in middle school and I remember seeing it in the library. I remembered it for years but it wasn't until about 10 years ago that I bought the books and reread them for the first time since I was a kid. Such a sense of wonder in them. I would have to say they're probably one of my favorite books as a series or otherwise ever.

Have you ever tried Susan Cooper's magnificent The Dark Is Rising Sequence? In the same ballpark.

No, I've never heard of it. Is it a new book series?

• Like 1

I am re-reading the Harry Potter books right now. It is so fun to read these after so long. I last read them in 2007 when the last one was released. My favorite thing about them is that the characters are real to me. I am 70% through PoA and enjoying it thoroughly.

Is anyone here on Goodreads? If so and you want to friend me there my user name is Catherine Harrison https://www.goodread...3797-catherine

I'm on there now and then. I'll see if I can friend you. I can't believe it's been that long since the last Harry Potter book was out? That's amazing.

Yep. I am finding that I didn't remember as much as I thought about plot details, so it's fresh but familiar at the same time. It's good to return to a favorite series after a longish break. I have many books and series that I re-read regularly but I do tend to give them a long season between. I recently read the Chronicles of Narnia to my younger children and I hadn't read those in probably 15 years. I read TLotR and the Hobbit at least every 4-5 years and never get tired of revisiting them. I swear they get better every time.

The Chronicles of Narnia was the first book series I remember reading as a kid. I was in middle school and I remember seeing it in the library. I remembered it for years but it wasn't until about 10 years ago that I bought the books and reread them for the first time since I was a kid. Such a sense of wonder in them. I would have to say they're probably one of my favorite books as a series or otherwise ever.

Have you ever tried Susan Cooper's magnificent The Dark Is Rising Sequence? In the same ballpark.

Nope! Sixties era, and I discovered them when I was thirteen! Recently bought them again!

Gets better with rereads

Agreed there. I know that the first time I read them I kind of devoured them so every re-read I catch more. This is actually the first time since the series was completed that I have read all seven in succession. It's fun and a nice break from some of the heavier stuff I have been reading this year. I had finished Les Miserables when I started HP. ;)

I have been reading Tolstoy, and I am now tackling Tad Williams. Honestly, the two are both so heavy!

Love it. Tad Williams fantasy is really recommended if you like strong and gradual character development!

Tolstoy I have read, War and Peace and Anna Karenina, but I have never heard of Tad Williams. I will have to look him up on Goodreads. What would be the best place to start if I were to pick a book?

• Like 1

Gets better with rereads

Agreed there. I know that the first time I read them I kind of devoured them so every re-read I catch more. This is actually the first time since the series was completed that I have read all seven in succession. It's fun and a nice break from some of the heavier stuff I have been reading this year. I had finished Les Miserables when I started HP. ;)

I have been reading Tolstoy, and I am now tackling Tad Williams. Honestly, the two are both so heavy!

Love it. Tad Williams fantasy is really recommended if you like strong and gradual character development!

Tolstoy I have read, War and Peace and Anna Karenina, but I have never heard of Tad Williams. I will have to look him up on Goodreads. What would be the best place to start if I were to pick a book?

The Dragonbone Chair, book one of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Appreciate the slow start for what it is (I love it now I have read it many times), and you will be rewarded with an adventure that is FULL of life.

Greatest fantasy series I have ever read, he is a cult author, and highly revered by many writers. As far as I am concerned, MST is rivalled only by the lord of the rings, and I would argue that it is even better.

• Like 1

Nope! Sixties era, and I discovered them when I was thirteen! Recently bought them again!

Wow really! I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

• Like 1

Wow really! I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

Just a start:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11306.The_Dark_is_Rising_Sequence?from_search=true&search_version=service

Gets better with rereads

The Dragonbone Chair, book one of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Appreciate the slow start for what it is (I love it now I have read it many times), and you will be rewarded with an adventure that is FULL of life.

Greatest fantasy series I have ever read, he is a cult author, and highly revered by many writers. As far as I am concerned, MST is rivalled only by the lord of the rings, and I would argue that it is even better.

I remember reading the one about cats called Tailchasers Song many years ago. I also tried to read the Otherland books but only got through the first one. It was a monster of a book from what I remember.

• Like 1

Gets better with rereads

I remember reading the one about cats called Tailchasers Song many years ago. I also tried to read the Otherland books but only got through the first one. It was a monster of a book from what I remember.

Tailchaser's Song is beautiful!

I could not connect with Otherland the first time I tried it (a bit too heavy for a thirteen year old). Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a great masterpiece, and I suspect you could really love it. If the size of the series is off putting, he also wrote a stunning standalone novel called The War Of The Flowers, which is completely separate from MSaT, but a good warm up all the same!

Tad Williams has been overlooked, partly because his works are very long. But I really get lost in Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. No other series like it!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Gets better with rereads

Thanks for the recommendation. I added that to my TBR list on Goodreads.

• Like 1

Gets better with rereads

Thanks for the recommendation. I added that to my TBR list on Goodreads.

If you love to be immersed in a novel like I do, you should find much to satisfy!

My tip: really, really take in the first few hundred pages. So many find it boring, but I was genuinely sad when it ended! It gets better, but the warmth of the opening third was just so delightful. Williams does not rush from plot point to plot point, the book is as much about the journey as it is the destination!

I just know too many people give up. It would be like skipping Philosopher's Stone through Azkaban on your first reading just to get to the exciting bit of Voldemort's return! MUCH TO ENJOY AS THE PLOT THICKENS!

• Like 1

I'm on goodreads as well, but I was a whole lot more regular visitor there a couple of years ago than I am now. I'd have to go back and put together a whole big stack o' books I've read since then!

My favourite novelists (for anyone who is keeping score, of course) are Iris Murdoch, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Martin Amis, Philip Roth...and on and on. I'm mainly into 20th century American and British fiction.

That being said...per the topic of this thread...I highly recommend The Mountain Lion, by Jean Stafford.

Just read it!

• Like 1