Books To Share: Favourite Books and Book Recommendations Thread

Segue Myles

Hi guys!

It seems pretty much everyone on this forum is movie mad, music mad, and Rush mad, but I have also noticed that discussions on books is a fairly slow moving exercise, which is surprising as we seem to be as a group a very learned bunch of characters!

So, in addition to the What Are You Reading thread, I thought maybe a book recommendation thread was in order, as well as also having a good place to discuss favourite books even if right now we are not reading them!

So here goes:

My favourite books include Harry Potter, A Tale Of Two Cities, Revolutionary Road and I love many of H. G. Wells novels.

Anybody else care to share? This thread could be fun!

(Apologies if a thread like this already exists)

• Like 2

Besides reading the Doctor Who Target novelizations, I'm a huge fan of P. G. Wodehouse, author of the Jeeves and Wooster stories, Blandings and many others. I love his use of language, and reading one of his stories always cheers me up.

I also love Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, and have read them many times.

• Like 2

I'm not a big movie person but I'm always reading. I've kept a list of all the books I've read (except for textbooks) since January 2000. On that list I've got 94 titles I've marked with five stars, and most of them are either non-fiction (largely biology-related) or fantasy. Some of my faves are:

Patrick Rothfuss - The Kingkiller Chronicles (2 of the trilogy have been released so far)

Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy (I'm currently on book three, and have the first book of the next series in wait)

JRR Tolkien - TLotR

George RR Martin - Song of Fire and Ice series (although not all are five stars)

Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo

Clive Barker - Books of Blood

Farley Mowat - The Serpent's Coil; Grey Seas Under

Michael Pollan - The Omnivore's Dilemma; In Defense of Food

Richard Dawkins - The Ancestor's Tale

Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs, and Steel; Collapse

David Quammen - The Song of the Dodo

Diane Ackerman - The Zookeeper's Wife

Sylvia Earle - Sea Change

William Stolzenberg - Where the WIld Things Were

Etc., etc.

• Like 2

I'm not a big movie person but I'm always reading. I've kept a list of all the books I've read (except for textbooks) since January 2000. On that list I've got 94 titles I've marked with five stars, and most of them are either non-fiction (largely biology-related) or fantasy. Some of my faves are:

Patrick Rothfuss - The Kingkiller Chronicles (2 of the trilogy have been released so far)

Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy (I'm currently on book three, and have the first book of the next series in wait)

JRR Tolkien - TLotR

George RR Martin - Song of Fire and Ice series (although not all are five stars)

Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo

Clive Barker - Books of Blood

Farley Mowat - The Serpent's Coil; Grey Seas Under

Michael Pollan - The Omnivore's Dilemma; In Defense of Food

Richard Dawkins - The Ancestor's Tale

Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs, and Steel; Collapse

David Quammen - The Song of the Dodo

Diane Ackerman - The Zookeeper's Wife

Sylvia Earle - Sea Change

William Stolzenberg - Where the WIld Things Were

Etc., etc.

We have very similar tastes! Robin Hobb is on my reading list, I am rereading The Lord Of The Rings now, and I can see you inspiring me too pick up further series in future!

• Like 1

I would always recommend The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame to any reader of any age & background. It is a truly beautiful, magical book. Paul Bransom's illustrations are great too.

The Sherlock Holmes Collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is terrific. Try & get the original Strand edition.

I'm also a big fan of Patricia Highsmith. She was a superb writer.

I agree with lion about the Jeeves & Wooster books too.

I would always recommend The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame to any reader of any age & background. It is a truly beautiful, magical book. Paul Bransom's illustrations are great too.

The Sherlock Holmes Collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is terrific. Try & get the original Strand edition.

I'm also a big fan of Patricia Highsmith. She was a superb writer.

I agree with lion about the Jeeves & Wooster books too.

Conan Doyle's The Lost World is equal to Holmes, and Wind In The Willows should be studied by all from the point of conception.

• Like 1

Here are some of my favorites...

The Prydain Chronicles -- Alexander

Crime and Punishment -- Dostoevsky

The Brothers Karamazov -- Dostoevsky

The Devils -- Dostoevsky

Tess of the d'Urbervilles -- Hardy

Jude the Obscure -- Hardy

Jane Eyre -- C. Bronte

Amerika -- Kafka

The Trial -- Kafka

The Castle -- Kafka

Hunger -- Hamsun

Wuthering Heights -- E. Bronte

The Count of Monte Cristo -- Dumas

Pride and Prejudice -- Austen

• Like 4

The Devils -- Dostoevsky

Jane Eyre -- C. Bronte

Amerika -- Kafka

The Trial -- Kafka

The Castle -- Kafka

Hunger -- Hamsun

Some goodies in there. Always good to see a list that includes Dostoevsky & Hardy.

• Like 1

I have been digging up childhood faves lately. After years if deeming myself "too old" (seems to me only the young think like this!), joys have been rediscovered in the worlds of Grimm, Lewis, Tolkien and Rowling!

Although how I ever regarded Tolkien as kids fare is ridiculous. Going through it again I am amazed by how broad and deep the world of Middle Eartg is, with its knowledge and history and cultures.

I have been digging up childhood faves lately. After years if deeming myself "too old" (seems to me only the young think like this!), joys have been rediscovered in the worlds of Grimm, Lewis, Tolkien and Rowling!

Although how I ever regarded Tolkien as kids fare is ridiculous. Going through it again I am amazed by how broad and deep the world of Middle Eartg is, with its knowledge and history and cultures.

The Hobbit was supposed to be a childrens book when it came out. It does seem a bit simplistic when compared to LotR's. It could almost be a completely different story.

I have a lot of favorite books, individual and in series form. Most of them tend to be in the sci-fi or fantasy genre and some of them hark back to when I was younger. But off of the top of my head here are a few...

The Chronicles of Narnia

The Discworld series - Terry Pratchett

The Jungle Books - Rudyard Kipling

The Redwall series - Brian Jacques

The Vampire Chronicles - Anne Rice

Incarnations of Immortality - Piers Anthony

The Xanth series - Piers Anthony

• Like 3

Here's a few of my favourite books and series:

• The entire 'Enemy' series - Charlie Higson
  • The 'Eragon' cycle - Christopher Poalini (I'm not sure about the spelling)
  • Lord of the rings & the hobbit
  • Airman - Eoin Colfer
  • 'The Da vinci Code', 'Angels and Demons', 'Deception Point' and 'Digital Fortress' - Dan Brown

That's all of the top of my head. I'll be back after a look at my bookshelf ;)

• Like 1

• Airman - Eoin Colfer
  • 'The Da vinci Code', 'Angels and Demons', 'Deception Point' and 'Digital Fortress' - Dan Brown

I want to appreciate Eragon, but that first book is so predictable! But is it worth persevering with for the sequels? Often I find the first in a series the weakest, and I will give him another shot if this is so.

• Airman - Eoin Colfer

I want to appreciate Eragon, but that first book is so predictable! But is it worth persevering with for the sequels? Often I find the first in a series the weakest, and I will give him another shot if this is so.

I'd say It's worth it! I read them a while ago and I don't actually have the books but I'd say it's worth it. The last 2 books are definitely the best though. :D

Edited by LittleRushmonkey

• Airman - Eoin Colfer

I'd say It's worth it! I read them a while ago and I don't actually have the books but I'd say it's worth it. The last 2 books are definitely the best though. :D

A really enjoyable, fast paced, and gripping fantasy series is The Book Of Words by J.V. Jones. Try that!

• Like 1

• Airman - Eoin Colfer

A really enjoyable, fast paced, and gripping fantasy series is The Book Of Words by J.V. Jones. Try that!

Thanks Segue :D. Got a big pile of books I've bought/borrowed/been given, to get through so it could be a while till I can get to it...

I'll suggest a couple of book (series) to you now :D :

• The 'Gone' series by Michael Grant - great series to read where there are just teenagers stuck in a town. Part apocalyptic and part sci -fi. Oh... and the first one is Gone if you want to check them out.
  • The edge chronicles by someone (I don't know who) - it's interesting... more fantasy & sci-fi, not entirely sure which :)

• Airman - Eoin Colfer

Thanks Segue :D. Got a big pile of books I've bought/borrowed/been given, to get through so it could be a while till I can get to it...

• The 'Gone' series by Michael Grant - great series to read where there are just teenagers stuck in a town. Part apocalyptic and part sci -fi. Oh... and the first one is Gone if you want to check them out.
  • The edge chronicles by someone (I don't know who) - it's interesting... more fantasy & sci-fi, not entirely sure which :)

Thanks! I too have a large reading pile, but I can shorten quickly by not rereading certain books!

But I will still be a while as Tolkien takes some time to geth through haha!

• Like 1

• Airman - Eoin Colfer

Thanks! I too have a large reading pile, but I can shorten quickly by not rereading certain books!

But I will still be a while as Tolkien takes some time to geth through haha!

It certainly does! But you will be sad when you're finished though. All the books I've got I've never read do it should be fun. Just gotta figure out which one to read first... :)

The Devils -- Dostoevsky

Jane Eyre -- C. Bronte

Amerika -- Kafka

The Trial -- Kafka

The Castle -- Kafka

Hunger -- Hamsun

Some goodies in there. Always good to see a list that includes Dostoevsky & Hardy.

Have you read The Brothers K by David James Duncan? A fun takeoff on the novel.

Favorite novels...

Jitterbug Perfume

Love in the Time of Cholera

100 Years of Solitude

Widow for One Year

Poisonwood Bible

The Crossing

Oliver Twist

Roughing It

Londoners

I really like collections of short stories.

here are some of my favorites, basically a combo of hipster shit and d&d shit:

fear and loathing in las vegas, fear and loathing on the campaign trail 72, hells angels - hunter thompson

last exit to brooklyn - hubert selby

trainspotting - irvine welsh

american psycho, lunar park, less than zero, the rules of attraction - bret easton ellis (what can I say, I'm a sucker for "too hip and cool to give a f**k, here are some pop culture references" writing)

elric saga - michael moorcock

lord of the rings - tolkien

a game of thrones, a clash of kings, a storm of swords (the other books in the series are in desperate need of an editor) - george rr martin

stranger in a strange land - heinlein (scared to reread it because I figure I'll think it's pseudo-intellectual mumbo jumbo, but it had a profound impact when I was 14)

hyperion - dan simmons (favorite sci-fi series ever)

I also love the first dune, everything salinger wrote (should be mandatory reading for middle schoolers), cuckoo's nest, clockwork orange, get in the van (henry rollins tour journals with black flag)

I used to count tropic of cancer as one of my favorites, but I was too young and dumb to get everything, and I feel a little dishonest calling it a favorite when just about all I remember is his pecker destroying every chick in france

Edited by bathory

I don't have a ton of time to read ever since I left high school, but none the less I have a couple of favorites.

Cheeseburger Subversive-Richard Scarsbrook (Great book of episodes in a boy's life from grade 7 to first year of university, lots of little spots that feel easy to connect with, and a great character to follow through)

The Art of Racing In The Rain-Garth Stein (Interesting read from the POV of a dog, but unlike other books in this category, the dog does not contribute directly to the plot, but rather commentates)

Born To Rock-Gordon Korman (Kid finds out his biological father is a rock star, and when strapped for university cash, goes on tour as a roadie to try and connect with the father.

I also love the first dune, everything salinger wrote (should be mandatory reading for middle schoolers), cuckoo's nest, clockwork orange, get in the van (henry rollins tour journals with black flag)

I used to count tropic of cancer as one of my favorites, but I was too young and dumb to get everything, and I feel a little dishonest calling it a favorite when just about all I remember is his pecker destroying every chick in france

I am starting Dune again as soon as my Tolkien kick is over! Great stuff!

• Like 1

Finally finished Fellowship Of The Ring!

I cannot fault Tolkien, so the two comments I am about to make are not negatives, just a matter of preference, and a point of reference for further examination when i eventually reread these books (again).

1. I often find the characters a little wooden. I find myself warming to them, and admire the strength, bravery and wisdom of the Company, but as individuals they have little to distinguish themselves beyond their background (some are men, others dwarves, and further still wizards, hobbits and elves). But I expect that further rereadings will see my uncover more depth (everytime I come back to these books the characters become more and more involving, so I think a lot of my issue is due to my gradual awakening to the unique power of Tolkiens words. I swear he is unique in this style of writing, as every line reads like poetry to me so I find one reading of these books unsatisfactory. They demand and deserve close attention, which can be difficult if one isn't used to his literary technique).

2. His description of certain fantastical elements leaves a lot to be desired at certain points. I find myself having to recall to memory the design of the flying creatures, the orcs and occasionally the elves from the movies because I find Tolkien a keen master of holding together the larger picture, but an occasionally cryptic take on character and object description leaves certain scenes a little hazy and cluttered in my minds eye. I find it difficult to imagine the orcs as they are written on paper, and beyond the everlasting youth of the elves, little is said of appearance so I have to be keenly aware of names so as not to confuse myself when it comes to certain points in the story (Again, I am not entirely certain if this is due to any shortfalls of Tolkien, as I do regard him as a master storyteller, or an issue involving my understanding and the fluency in which I may still be in need of grasping regarding his rather intimidating style of writing).

But I have really, really enjoyed reading again part one of this fantasy epic, and looking ahead to picking up The Two Towers I am eagerly anticipating the rediscovery of that joy of joys for the fantasy fan: the creature Gollum. O how I love that damaged little man!

My critiques are more a cry for help from fellow fans who may be able to offer some advice. Also, these do not affect my opinion of the entire series. Just at certain points I find it hard to keep up due to not always being able to comprehend fully the goings on of the quest. (At no point do I get lost absolutely. I just reread the offending passages until I am confident I grasped the meaning!)

Tolkien is for life. His world is too broad and complex to venture into for one time only. So as I get older I suspect these books (and the rest of the Middle Earth tales) will become more and more alive!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1