New old Rush "The Loser"

Rushman14

Hmm... Pretty decent, not sure whether I like it better than I've Been Running (Funny: despite that one being an embryonic version of Need Some Love I actually prefer it to the final version). This one doesn't seem like it was developed into an album track however.

Thanks for posting that was great. Not trying to be a Neil hater or anything but I wonder what RUSH would of been like if Rutsey was able to stay with the band. I loved his playing on this song.

Thanks for posting that was great. Not trying to be a Neil hater or anything but I wonder what RUSH would of been like if Rutsey was able to stay with the band. I loved his playing on this song.

Honestly, had they followed the course with Rutsey, I don't think this forum exists. Rutsey was straight forward rock. More likely than not, they don't separate from the pack without the movement toward Prog. I also definitely don't think they hit the same fan base if Alex and Geddy are writing lyrics. I don't think the question of Rutsey should ever be "What could have been?", rather it is "What would not have been?".

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 3

Honestly, had they followed the course with Rutsey, I don't think this forum exists. Rutsey was straight forward rock. More likely than not, they don't separate from the pack without the movement toward Prog. I also definitely don't think they hit the same fan base if Alex and Geddy are writing lyrics. I don't think the question of Rutsey should ever be "What could have been?", rather it is "What would not have been?".

I think the other thing to consider is that John's health wasn't the best. He probably couldn't have handled a major tour anyway, so they probably wouldn't have gone anywhere unless they replaced him with someone else, even if it wasn't Neil.

I can't watch it, but the song title is intriguing. Can someone post the lyrics?

I tried to transcribe the lyrics, Lorraine, but I just can't make them out. It sounds like Lee's "baby" is "lyin'" and "cheatin'" and "teasin'" etc. One of those deals.

• Like 1

This forum wouldn't exist. The band likely wouldn't have lasted 40 years. Basically...Rush wouldn't be Rush.

It's tough to say for sure...but I'm pretty positive that Neil is the better drummer. To top it off...I believe it was Neil's lyrics that really helped shape the band into what they would become.

No disrespect at all to Rutsey...but Ged and Alex cashed in on Neil. I don't know how exactly the final decision came to move away from John, but it was the right decision for Geddy, Alex, and all of us.

One thing I always found interesting was that John seemed to always be the one introducing the band and songs, as opposed to Geddy.

I wonder why that was...as it's not something you see often (drummer doing the mic work over the lead singer).

It almost seems like he was the head of the band in those days...

• Like 1

One thing I always found interesting was that John seemed to always be the one introducing the band and songs, as opposed to Geddy.

I wonder why that was...as it's not something you see often (drummer doing the mic work over the lead singer).

It almost seems like he was the head of the band in those days...

Geddy recently discussed that.

Back then, John was the guy in the band who talked to the audience from the stage. Did you prefer that you didn’t have to take on that role?

I was always the reluctant… everything. I was originally a guitarist, and the bass player in my old garage band quit, and they voted and I became the bass player. I was the only one that could sing, so I became the singer. I didn’t really want to write lyrics, so in the early days of Rush, John wrote the lyrics. I was a very shy kid, I didn’t really feel comfortable talking to the audience, so John did that. So I really kind of backed into my entire career.

It seems to have worked out.

It’s worked out really well! I’m still playing it by ear.

How long did it take for you to get comfortable with being the guy who had to do the onstage banter?

It took quite a long time, really. I didn’t really have a persona. All the singers from rock bands in those days were taking on a persona of a very loud, sort of gregarious guy who would rile up the crowd. That’s not me, I’m not that guy. I’m not that guy socially, I’m not that guy period. For me to suddenly have to talk to the audience… I was rather soft-spoken, so it was always work for me to psych for myself up to try to do that. In the early years, the lack of persona seemed to be a problem. As we hung around, I think my lack of onstage persona has actually become my onstage persona. So you kind of grow into who you actually are. It’s kind of worked out for me. The ideal person to be our MC would be Alex, he’s naturally hilarious, he’s such a goof and such a funny, warm guy. But he’s, at times, even more shy than me. He didn’t want to do it either!

• Like 4

I can't watch it, but the song title is intriguing. Can someone post the lyrics?

I tried to transcribe the lyrics, Lorraine, but I just can't make them out. It sounds like Lee's "baby" is "lyin'" and "cheatin'" and "teasin'" etc. One of those deals.

Superficial nonsense. Thanks just the same, Toymaker. I thought it would be a song with meaning. :cool:

• Like 1

I've watched both I've been running and The Loser enjoy both for historical value. However don't think there very good songs BUT Rush plays them well!!! If that makes sense.. ;)
  • Like 1