Yes, an insult to fans but - - - -

nicky6

The more i think about this box set. they are making fans buy these dvd/blurays all over again, you know the real fans already had this stuff the day it came out. If they just would have released the full 97 concert and some bonus stuff and the booklet. that would have been enough..
  • Like 10

If you don't like it, then just don't buy it, no one is holding a gun to your head...

I know I will buy it anyway, thats for sure! I have already pre-ordered the bluray box set from Rush website!

• Like 5

If you don't like it, then just don't buy it, no one is holding a gun to your head...

I know I will buy it anyway, thats for sure! I have already pre-ordered the bluray box set from Rush website!

Geddy himself didn't get a free copy? :eh:
  • Like 3

I know what you're saying...but in the end, the OP is still right to state that. I'm pretty sure the band and their management are well aware of what their fanbase is like, and that most fans already own all of the DVD's in the package.

They should've released it as the whole boxset, and also as individual releases (the '97 show and the re-mixed Rio). That way, fans have the choice on what money to drop.

It's possible that down the line, they may still do this. If I recall correctly, years ago they had released Replay x3 with ESL, P/G, and ASOH as a set...but then down the line, they released each of those concerts separately as well. Who knows...

• Like 3

So what? Colonel Parker sold Elvis singles twice. He just switched the A and B-sides over.

But then again he was a con man from circus. :D

• Like 2

So what? Colonel Parker sold Elvis singles twice. He just switched the A and B-sides over.

But then again he was a con man from circus. :D

Speaking of the circus...

"There's a sucker born every minute..."

• Like 3

Plenty of bands do this, not just Rush. There will be a certain amount of diehards who will buy sets like this but the majority of the fans usually will not. Like it or not Rush is in the music business and like anyone in any other profession, they will try and make money whatever way they can. Nobody says you have to buy this new set. I saw them three times on the T4E tour, so i'm good. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

This isn't any different from what any other artist does.

Personally I'd rather spend $99 on this thing (even though I already own about 60% of it) of it, then spend $500 for a front row seat at a Rush concert that I'll only see ONCE. I've never understand how ANYONE could do that, but I respect the fact that people are not all like me,and if others want to do it, fine.

On a related note, I seem to recall at the last Rush show I attended, that you could buy a Rush "baseball jersey" for about $95. I remember thinking: $95???? For something that will probably shrink in half after a few turns in the washing machine??? Still, I saw tons of people buying/wearing them.

I guess my point here is I'll take a 6 blu-ray set along with a book over a jersey anytime. People are different. Nobody is "cheating" anybody. Nobody forced me to buy a Rush jersey (thank goodness) and no one is forcing you to buy this blu-ray set. Believe it or not, people DO buy these things. I know people that have seven different copies of "Dark Side of the Moon" because it gets remastered (whatever that really means) every few years or so.

Clem

• Like 1

I am gonna get it, but i think it could have been done diffrent. but then again who am i?? The main reason i will get it is the 97 test for echo footage which i been yearning for since 1998 when Diffrent stages came out. remmeber, they were gonna also put out a video of this show. but it got wiped due to some audio problems. i was so bummed. Now i can see at least the drum solo and 2112 in a pro shot. so on that alone. as a hardcore fan i will have this. Oh and if Rush in Rio will be fixed or remastered in some kinda way. that will be a bonus.

This isn't any different from what any other artist does.

Personally I'd rather spend $99 on this thing (even though I already own about 60% of it) of it, then spend $500 for a front row seat at a Rush concert that I'll only see ONCE. I've never understand how ANYONE could do that, but I respect the fact that people are not all like me,and if others want to do it, fine.

On a related note, I seem to recall at the last Rush show I attended, that you could buy a Rush "baseball jersey" for about $95. I remember thinking: $95???? For something that will probably shrink in half after a few turns in the washing machine??? Still, I saw tons of people buying/wearing them.

I guess my point here is I'll take a 6 blu-ray set along with a book over a jersey anytime. People are different. Nobody is "cheating" anybody. Nobody forced me to buy a Rush jersey (thank goodness) and no one is forcing you to buy this blu-ray set. Believe it or not, people DO buy these things. I know people that have seven different copies of "Dark Side of the Moon" because it gets remastered (whatever that really means) every few years or so.

Clem

You can get a RUSH baseball jersey for $30, if you wait.

And you're right. It's a business. So is selling used cars.

There are always new fans who don't have the previous versions.

True...but there are likely more long-term fans that have been around for years than new ones.

It all depends on who you want to cater to. Rush is known for their overly dedicated, hardcore, and loyal fanbase...which I am sure make up most of their sales.

I know. What's the music industry coming to?

Afraid not, I have to buy them as well. :(

The message i get after giving them my money the first time is.......ha......ha.....HA!!!!!! Suck on it! I'm glad there are loyal fans but i still get a sour taste in my mouth.

Mick

I don't know if this is their idea and decision to make or if it is Anthem, but still - they could either veto it or make it more affordable. Most of us need our money more than they do.

• Like 2

I couldn't even consider buying Rush stuff or any other "stuff" for that matter. The real life stuff comes first....
  • Like 2

Why the sour grapes? There is nothing insulting about it at all. They are offering something for sale. If you want it, get it.

"Package deals" are standard in the business. It gives die-hards something special and casual fans a broad picture.

Maybe they'll release '97 alone later on.

In these dark times for the music industry, it seems quite often the only way bands sell records is to produce attractive box sets and deluxe editions.

Plus, for young people like me, I get to experience quite often the joy of discovering these classic bands work almost as if I had been around when they first came out. We often celebrate anniversaries for great works of fiction, so it seems more than appropriate to celebrate the work of classic bands!

I will not be buying this box set. I have been given the option to make the choice for myself, and so I will stick to my guns! But for fans who are eager for this material, what a joy it is for them!

For example, I have hunted down a beautiful edition of The Chronicles Of Narnia, despite already owning the entire series in a rather vanilla edition, and I have purchased a very rare edition of Lacuna Coil's new album, despite already owning the standard edition. The only people who are being ripped off are the fans who believe that in order to qualify as such, they must own everything. I did not feel like I had to purchase these editions, but I did want to.

GeddyLee is very excited by this release. For this reason alone, the release of such a weighty box set is worth it! For the rest of us, surely we have better things to worry about?

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

In these dark times for the music industry, it seems quite often the only way bands sell records is to produce attractive box sets and deluxe editions.

Plus, for young people like me, I get to experience quite often the joy of discovering these classic bands work almost as if I had been around when they first came out. We often celebrate anniversaries for great works of fiction, so it seems more than appropriate to celebrate the work of classic bands!

I will not be buying this box set. I have been given the option to make the choice for myself, and so I will stick to my guns! But for fans who are eager for this material, what a joy it is for them!

For example, I have hunted down a beautiful edition of The Chronicles Of Narnia, despite already owning the entire series in a rather vanilla edition, and I have purchased a very rare edition of Lacuna Coil's new album, despite already owning the standard edition. The only people who are being ripped off are the fans who believe that in order to qualify as such, they must own everything. I did not feel like I had to purchase these editions, but I did want to.

GeddyLee is very excited by this release. For this reason alone, the release of such a weighty box set is worth it! For the rest of us, surely we have better things to worry about?

Well said, sir. You are wise beyond your years.

• Like 1