Any Marillion fans out there?

Relayer2112

Am I the only one who believes that around the Misplaced Childhood era, Pete Trewavas was totally trying to copy Geddy's look?

Never thought about that. I just listen to the music myself.

Probably just the 1980s style.....

And guess who is the next solar federalist.....

Pretty big Marillion fan(and prog rock fan in general). I even started a thread on them maybe a year ago or so. I finally got to see them in November too. It was a very good show. Their latest album F.E.A.R is good but not really mind blowing except for maybe one section.

Pretty big Marillion fan(and prog rock fan in general). I even started a thread on them maybe a year ago or so. I finally got to see them in November too. It was a very good show. Their latest album F.E.A.R is good but not really mind blowing except for maybe one section.

The first track never really gets going but the rest is really good.

• Like 1

My mind was blown for that entire show. FEAR was so much better live and the album was great anyway. Great set too. Was fortunate not to suffer through anything from Brave.

My whole deal with Fish vs Hogarth is that when you look at it that way, it mostly has to do with the type of music thats being made, not about whos singing it. The first two Hogarth albums were so reminiscent of that kickass 80s neo-progressive synth rock sound that they had with Fish but ever since Brave came out they have never been the same. Now they either want to do Radiohead-esque alternative rock or elevator music.

The band just couldn't keep their 'old time themes' going anymore.

There were many issues inside the band due very troubled personal lives, and also among the band members.

They really wanted to change musically as much as Fish wanted to leave Marillion.

Edited by Verena

Brave's about a real story of a girl found in the bridge, riding a motorcycle. She didn't reply when police talked and asked her questions. Her mental state was shocked and totally changed.

The band got into the subject in a sensitive way, describing what she might have felt. The melodies and textures bring a psychological environment of events inside a human being, the connection with others and outside someone's brain.

It's a very humanistical album.

Totally conceptual too.

Edited by Verena

My mind was blown for that entire show. FEAR was so much better live and the album was great anyway. Great set too. Was fortunate not to suffer through anything from Brave.

FEAR is excellent. :clap:

The album's among the best 2016 releases. It's very well pointed with touching melodies.

Hogarth's voice reach some lyrical notes that he can use more.

My whole deal with Fish vs Hogarth is that when you look at it that way, it mostly has to do with the type of music thats being made, not about whos singing it. The first two Hogarth albums were so reminiscent of that kickass 80s neo-progressive synth rock sound that they had with Fish but ever since Brave came out they have never been the same. Now they either want to do Radiohead-esque alternative rock or elevator music.

oh rest assured it's about whose singing it to me. i like a lot of songs in the hogarth era.

but hogarth is just SO boring vocally it doesn't work.

Mick

Brave's about a real story of a girl found in the bridge, riding a motorcycle. She didn't reply when police talked and asked her questions. Her mental state was shocked and totally changed.

The band got into the subject in a sensitive way, describing what she might have felt. The melodies and textures bring a psychological environment of events inside a human being, the connection with others and outside someone's brain.

Totally conceptual too.

Glad you enjoy it. It puts me to sleep. Least favorite Marillion album ever. I understand what they were trying to do, but it just doesn't work for me. I'll admit I like the Made Again live version marginally better.

• Like 1

Totally conceptual too.

Glad you enjoy it. It puts me to sleep. Least favorite Marillion album ever. I understand what they were trying to do, but it just doesn't work for me. I'll admit I like the Made Again live version marginally better.

This Strange Engine was definitely WAY worse. All but one track on that album is just elevator music.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Also, something that's weird about Marillion is their setlists. Unlike most bands, they will sometimes just not do their hits at all and perform just new songs and deeper cuts. While this may be cool for hardcore Marilion fans, it pretty much says that if you are an "amateur fan", you probably won't enjoy the show because you won't know any of the music.

They should at least be doing Assassin and Kayleigh/Lavender every show.

Totally conceptual too.

This Strange Engine was definitely WAY worse. All but one track on that album is just elevator music.

I do have to agree.

But honestly This Strange Engine is really bad. Except for two songs and the last part of the title track.

Hogarth's laughter made me laugh. :LOL:

Totally conceptual too.

I truly understand different points of listening, feeling, knowing and understanding music. :yes:

• Like 1

The Fish/Hogarth thing is pretty old

Agree. f***ing change the channel already.

I agree too. My complaint has to do with the kind of music that Marillion has played since 1994, not necessarily because there is a different singer in the band. Seasons End and Holidays In Eden were very reminiscent of the Fish albums.

Also, something that's weird about Marillion is their setlists. Unlike most bands, they will sometimes just not do their hits at all and perform just new songs and deeper cuts. While this may be cool for hardcore Marilion fans, it pretty much says that if you are an "amateur fan", you probably won't enjoy the show because you won't know any of the music.

Marillion don't have any hits. That's why they can get away with it. I don't know too many Marillion fans that aren't "hardcore."

Totally conceptual too.

I do have to agree.

But honestly This Strange Engine is really bad. Except for two songs and the last part of the title track.

Hogarth's laughter made me laugh. :LOL:

Figures. It's a top five Hogarth album for me. I love Hogarth's performance on this album. It sounds very natural and organic. Not forced at all. The album sounds even more amazing live.and the acoustic guitars were a departure at that time.

Edited by ytserush
  • Like 1

Marillion don't have any hits. That's why they can get away with it. I don't know too many Marillion fans that aren't "hardcore."

More people have actually heard Kayleigh/Lavender and even Holloway Girl than you'd expect. They may not have the slightest clue on who the f**k marillion are, but those songs sound familiar to them and they might have always enjoyed them, despite not knowing who made them.

Edited by fraroc

More people have actually heard Kayleigh/Lavender and even Holloway Girl than you'd expect. They may not have the slightest clue on who the f**k marillion are, but those songs sound familiar to them and they might have always enjoyed them, despite not knowing who made them.

Not in the US. Kayleigh released as single got some airplay when the album came out until they finished touring with Rush. Lavender, also a single, got pretty much no airplay, Holloway Girl wasn't even released as a single so it never would have gotten airplay. Unless you are a fan of the band you don't know the songs. Marillion doesn't even qualify as a one hit wonder band in the US.

Different story in Europe though. They were so huge they were headlining and co-headlining festivals and still do well over there and their festival sets are a bit different but you aren't going to hear 25 year old songs all that much.

Not in the US. Kayleigh released as single got some airplay when the album came out until they finished touring with Rush. Lavender, also a single, got pretty much no airplay, Holloway Girl wasn't even released as a single so it never would have gotten airplay. Unless you are a fan of the band you don't know the songs. Marillion doesn't even qualify as a one hit wonder band in the US.

Different story in Europe though. They were so huge they were headlining and co-headlining festivals and still do well over there and their festival sets are a bit different but you aren't going to hear 25 year old songs all that much.

I've played Kayleigh/lavender on my phone for a few people I know that grew up in the 80s and pretty much all of them thought the song was familiar.

I've played Kayleigh/lavender on my phone for a few people I know that grew up in the 80s and pretty much all of them thought the song was familiar.

It might be time for you to buy a lottery ticket.

Well the Kayleigh video did get some airplay briefly so maybe it was that. There are a bunch of 30 year-old women about named Kayleigh but they live mostly in Europe. I did run into a 20- something cashier at a grocery store a few months back who said her parents named her after a song, but she couldn't remember the song or the band and was pretty indifferent about the whole thing actually..