Any Marillion fans out there?

Relayer2112

Top-five Marillion albums for me

1. Clutching

2. Fugazi

3. Seasons End

4. Anoraknophobia

5. Afraid of Sunlight

I do like Fish era Marillion more it's just that the hit to miss ratio is smaller on those albums. The H ones I really like but a lot of them miss the mark a bit for me

Marillion appears to be one of those bands where you listen to their hits and you're like "I swear I've heard this song before." But you just never put name to face...

That being said, I think I'm getting into them the same way I got into Rush. Focus and obsess over one album (in this case, its Misplaced Childhood) and then branch out.

Edited by fraroc

So I decided to listen to more Marillion songs from all the albums...And as much as I wanted to like both the Derek Dick and Steve Hogarth eras equally...I believe that the Fish era and early Steve Hogarth era has the edge over modern Marillion. Why?

Because it honestly does seem like (and with some exceptions), they don't want to do hi-tempo dancable songs like they used to. I'm talking about songs like Assassin, Punch and Judy, Incommunicado, Freaks, and Heart of Lothian. It's like ever since Holidays In Eden, they only want to do soft songs and release those as singles. I've seen reviews compare Steve Hogarth era Marillion to Coldplay, Radiohead, and Nickelback, and while I don't hear much Nickelback or Radiohead, I definitely hear a lot of Coldplay....

I really wish that they'd go back to that sort of "80s inspired" sound they had from the debut to Holidays in Eden.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

So far, I think Assassin is my favorite song by them by far, I also like Built In Bastard Radar, Between You And Me, Heart of Lothian, Incommunicado, Punch and Judy, PSK/Kayleigh/Lavender and Cover My Eyes a lot Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Kayleigh was on the radio earlier this week and I've been meaning to look more into Marillion as a band. From what I gather they're like a 1980s new wave band with a lot of 1970s prog influence in their music.

Nothing about this band is even remotely "New Wave." Misplaced Childhood is my favorite album of all-time, but I don't think Kayleigh is representative of what they are about.

One of Hogarth's former bands "The Europeans" might be considered "New Wave."

What, pray tell, is your perception of new wave?

Blondie, early Police, early Joe Jackson, early Elvis Costello, The Fixx, Talking Heads, Ultravox, Devo.....bands like that.

So I decided to listen to more Marillion songs from all the albums...And as much as I wanted to like both the Derek Dick and Steve Hogarth eras equally...I believe that the Fish era and early Steve Hogarth era has the edge over modern Marillion. Why?

Because it honestly does seem like (and with some exceptions), they don't want to do hi-tempo dancable songs like they used to. I'm talking about songs like Assassin, Punch and Judy, Incommunicado, Freaks, and Heart of Lothian. It's like ever since Holidays In Eden, they only want to do soft songs and release those as singles. I've seen reviews compare Steve Hogarth era Marillion to Coldplay, Radiohead, and Nickelback, and while I don't hear much Nickelback or Radiohead, I definitely hear a lot of Coldplay....

I really wish that they'd go back to that sort of "80s inspired" sound they had from the debut to Holidays in Eden.

Interesting you didn't mention the following album Brave, my least favorite album by the band ever.

But Captain Obvious says people get older.

Listen to Fish last album A Feast of Consequences. I think it's a masterpiece, but it sounds nothing like Forgotten Sons. Same with Marillion's FEAR...

Kayleigh was on the radio earlier this week and I've been meaning to look more into Marillion as a band. From what I gather they're like a 1980s new wave band with a lot of 1970s prog influence in their music.

Nothing about this band is even remotely "New Wave." Misplaced Childhood is my favorite album of all-time, but I don't think Kayleigh is representative of what they are about.

Blondie, early Police, early Joe Jackson, early Elvis Costello, The Fixx, Talking Heads, Ultravox, Devo.....bands like that.

My interpretation of New Wave is pretty much A Flock Of Seagulls, Duran Duran, 80s Rush, Simple Minds, Dead Or Alive (yes, I actually like them, flame away), Cutting Crew, Gary Numan etc....

Interesting you didn't mention the following album Brave, my least favorite album by the band ever.

Listen to Fish last album A Feast of Consequences. I think it's a masterpiece, but it sounds nothing like Forgotten Sons. Same with Marillion's FEAR...

What's interesting is that some Marillion fans swear up and down that Brave was their best album and a billion times better than Misplaces Childhood, which its totally not.

I still hold fast to the idea that Marillion should go back to how they sounded around Holidays In Eden, that was the last time they sounded like they resembled a little bit of what they used to with Fish.

My interpretation of New Wave is pretty much A Flock Of Seagulls, Duran Duran, 80s Rush, Simple Minds, Dead Or Alive (yes, I actually like them, flame away), Cutting Crew, Gary Numan etc....

You are both correct

I gave Marbles a listen last week and that one was quite enjoyable.

Currently listening to F E A R. So far the first two songs were underwhelming and didn't do much for me. But the song that stands out immediately is "The Leavers". It's dynamic and has a smart use of an orchestra. It strikes a bit of an emotional chord and has a great storytelling quality to it, kind of like a movie soundtrack

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 1

I gave Marbles a listen last week and that one was quite enjoyable.

Currently listening to F E A R. So far the first two songs were underwhelming and didn't do much for me. But the song that stands out immediately is "The Leavers". It's dynamic and has a smart use of an orchestra. It strikes a bit of an emotional chord and has a great storytelling quality to it, kind of like a movie soundtrack

The underwhelming factor is the reason why I honestly enjoy Fish marillion more than Hogarth.

What's interesting is that some Marillion fans swear up and down that Brave was their best album and a billion times better than Misplaces Childhood, which its totally not.

I still hold fast to the idea that Marillion should go back to how they sounded around Holidays In Eden, that was the last time they sounded like they resembled a little bit of what they used to with Fish.

They already recorded Holidays In Eden. Why would they want to do it again?

Even Fish doesn't do what he used to do with Marillion.