Any Marillion fans out there?

Relayer2112

I enjoy Marillion......Fish era more though. Script for a Jester's Tear is awesome. Hogarth era wrote good tunes but i swear Steve's got the most boring voice on the planet. My fav tune right now is Sugar Mice........beautiful. Fish is peter Gabriel like. and i've said i think Marillion does the Gabriel era Genesis sound better then Gabriel Genesis, lol

Mick

• Like 3

I think both parts of their career (Fish and Hogarth) have great music to offer. I do agree that Steve's voice does get a little tiresome after a while. He's got a great voice and all, his delivery is just a little blah sometimes.

I enjoy the old stuff, it just doesn't seem to have aged as well with me as old Genesis has. Too much 80's style keyboard in some of their earlier stuff.

I have been fortunate enough to see live both Hogarth era Marillion and Fish by himself (for Sunsets on Empire). Both are great acts that seem to be losing some traction as the years go by.

• Like 2

Love Marillion! I think their best work is either Brave or Afraid of Sunlight, but I enjoy virtually everything they've done besides a few songs that grate on my ears. I would like to hear them change up their formula a bit on the next album, as Sounds That Can't Be Made was very similar to the album that preceded it.

I can't stand the Fish vs. Hogarth debate either. Both eras are fantastic, why compare them?

Edited by GrandDesigner
  • Like 3

I like the Fish-era. Clutching at Straws and Misplaced Childhood are amazing albums. Fish has some great solo albums too.

Hogarth-era... well... not really. There are occasional good moments in those albums but overall it's too much like Radiohead... read: "impotent, castrated new-age Brit prog".

• Like 4

They are in my top 3 favorite bands of all time! LOVE them!!! Seen them in NYC IN 2012. Seen them 10 times total!

I love Fish, BUT I feel sorry for any fan who dismisses the H era because it insanely good!

• Like 1

I like the Fish-era. Clutching at Straws and Misplaced Childhood are amazing albums. Fish has some great solo albums too.

Hogarth-era... well... not really. There are occasional good moments in those albums but overall it's too much like Radiohead... read: "impotent, castrated new-age Brit prog".

I see zero in common between H Marillion and Radiohead.

• Like 1

I think Fish-Marillion is great, a awesome band! They died as a band thou when Fish left, they are kinda bad now.

I have seen Fish solo twice. Last time was on his last tour, I was on first row and shake Fish hand. :)

• Like 1

I think Fish-Marillion is great, a awesome band! They died as a band thou when Fish left, they are kinda bad now.

I have seen Fish solo twice. Last time was on his last tour, I was on first row and shake Fish hand. :)

Solo Fish is very good. His latest album Feast of Consequences is better than good, its great!

I'm just surprised you think they are "kinda bad now"

I personally find the H era amazing! and more complex in nature than the stuff the did in the 80's.

But I have fought this battle before and to each his own. I just hope you are judging them by more than a small sample size you heard and discarded. Tell me you think the album "Marbles" is bad and I will have nothing more to say.

If you have not heard the album I strongly encourage you to do so!

Really? I see a lot in common. Maybe not musically... but how both bands lack "power" and ability to hit the listener on the "gut level".

And don't think I haven't listened to both bands... I really tried to like Marbles and Brave as my friends praised them. I also tried to like In Rainbows, OK Computer and Kid A. I gave these albums a lot of time but they simply don't hit me at all... they're impotent music in very similar way. Thom Yorke sounds like a castrated sheep... Hogarth is much better but at times he falls into the same hole... too much quiet moments... you know King Crimson's "Moonchild"? Same problem... fake-artsy-impotent.

And it's not like he doesn't have talent... When Hogarth makes a rock song, he can sometimes hit the nail on the head. "Man of a thousand faces" for example... very good song.

That's how I see it... it's not for me. But hey... opinions are like...

Edited by Detonator

Me too.......i was left scratching my head on that one.

Mick

• Like 1

Really? I see a lot in common. Maybe not musically... but how both bands lack "power" and ability to hit the listener on the "gut level".

And don't think I haven't listened to both bands... I really tried to like Marbles and Brave as my friends praised them. I also tried to like In Rainbows, OK Computer and Kid A. I gave these albums a lot of time but they simply don't hit me at all... they're impotent music in very similar way. Thom Yorke sounds like a castrated sheep... Hogarth is much better but at times he falls into the same hole... too much quiet moments... you know King Crimson's "Moonchild"? Same problem... fake-artsy-impotent.

And it's not like he doesn't have talent... When Hogarth makes a rock song, he can sometimes hit the nail on the head. "Man of a thousand faces" for example... very good song.

I won't presume to tell you what your own ears like and don't like. If you don't like H Marillion then you don't.

I own OK Computer and find it an ok album. (pun intended) I never felt the need to explore Radiohead any further than that.

I personally find H era Marillion to be powerful, emotional, and brilliantly written and arranged. and H is an amazingly captivating front man when I have seen him live on many occasion dating back to 1987.

Edited by Tick

I won't presume to tell you what your own ears like and don't like. If you don't like H Marillion then you don't.

I own OK Computer and find it an ok album. (pun intended) I never felt the need to explore Radiohead any further than that.

I personally find H era Marillion to be powerful, emotional, and brilliantly written and arranged. and H is an amazingly captivating front man when I have seen him live on many occasion dating back to 1987.

Tick came out of his cave as soon as a someone made a Marillion thread I see! :smash: :eyeroll: :LOL: :P

I bet he made this thread himself! :joker: :LOLsign:

For the record, I would never want Marillion to part ways with H in favor of a reunion with Fish. That would bum me out.
  • Like 1

I don´t compare the two eras of the band at all - they are two completely different bands depending on who´s singing. I prefer Fish-era Marillion, and although the "other band with the same name" has some good songs (Easter, Hooks in You, Beautiful etc), I dislike 95% of their output.
  • Like 1

I like Marillion, but only the Fish era. I was lucky enough to see them twice during the 80s. A friend saw them on the bill with Rush, and that must have been great!
  • Like 4

I don´t compare the two eras of the band at all - they are two completely different bands depending on who´s singing. I prefer Fish-era Marillion, and although the "other band with the same name" has some good songs (Easter, Hooks in You, Beautiful etc), I dislike 95% of their output.

25 years of material with H, and the ones you mentioned are from when he first joined the band. They have come along way in evolving into the brilliant band they are currently.

H Marillion isn't good, its outstanding!

I like Marillion, but only the Fish era. I was lucky enough to see them twice during the 80s. A friend saw them on the bill with Rush, and that must have been great!

Same here. I saw them 2 times on the Misplaced Childhood Tour. Great live band back then.

I can't stand the Hogarth years, just not my cup of tea.

• Like 2

I have little respect for the non H Marillion fan. I think that fan is clueless. :)
  • Like 1