26 members have voted

1. 1. Choose ze album!

• And Then There Were Three
    • Duke
    • Abacab
    • Genesis (1983)
    • Invisible Touch
    • We Can't Dance

Just so you know......even though it will probably never happen. I'd love to see a Genesis Reunion. Gabriel, Hackett, Collins, Banks and Rutherford. I may not have been the biggest Gabriel era fan.......but i still would love to see him back. Of course Collins really can't play. so......poo

Mick

It's sure not going to happen,especially since the BBC aired Together and Apart a few weeks ago.Hackett has actually gone on record to express his disgust at the documentary,and how little time he was on screen!It was pretty poor!The doc was nothing special too,with all five members back together in a studio,reminiscing about the past!Some very strained relationships,especially between Banks an Gabriel!

So a reunion between the five of them is very very remote!Even a trio reunion is now unlikely to happen as PC is unable to play drums for a considerable time!And you know how long Genesis concerts last!

Still we live in hope……

• Like 1

I voted for Duke but I love all of these albums. I agree that ABACAB should be at least second place. I love this era of Genesis and wish we could have gotten even more music from them. You know songs are great when they can last the test of time and these definitely do. I listen to the songs on these albums every week or so.
  • Like 2

Actually Gabriel fourth solo album is great too. I enjoy pop but Collins just went overboard.......the sugar mountain is too much, lol

He started out so promising with Face Value........what da hell happened?!!!! lol

Mick

When Phil released No Jacket Required in 1985 he was at the height of his popularity,producing and playing albums for Robert Plant,Eric Clapton,John Martyn,Philip Bailey,Frida etc,and I think this affected his standards.This continued on to But Seriously in 89.

Face Value is such a wonderful debut however!

• Like 1

Just so you know......even though it will probably never happen. I'd love to see a Genesis Reunion. Gabriel, Hackett, Collins, Banks and Rutherford. I may not have been the biggest Gabriel era fan.......but i still would love to see him back. Of course Collins really can't play. so......poo

Mick

I seem to remember that Gabriel himself praised The Musical Box tribute band, "if you want to see classic Genesis". IIRC, he even brought his kids to one of their shows.

• Like 4

I always wondered what the "quintessential" album would be for Genesis.

Most of the big rock bands had that one album that defines them.

RUSH - Moving Pictures

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

The Who - Who's Next

Genesis - ?

They have impressive albums throughout all their eras. If I were to guess, I'd say 'Selling England by the Pound' or 'Invisible Touch'

• Like 1

Mick

I seem to remember that Gabriel himself praised The Musical Box tribute band, "if you want to see classic Genesis". IIRC, he even brought his kids to one of their shows.

The Musical Box are just one of many tribute bands and are supposed to be the benchmark when it comes to Gabriel-era Genesis tribute bands.For Collins-era tribute bands in U.K. check out Mama.

RUSH - Moving Pictures

The Who - Who's Next

Genesis - ?

They have impressive albums throughout all their eras. If I were to guess, I'd say 'Selling England by the Pound' or 'Invisible Touch'

Probably SEBTP.

RUSH - Moving Pictures

The Who - Who's Next

Genesis - ?

In terms of money, Invisible Touch! :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol:

• Like 2

RUSH - Moving Pictures

The Who - Who's Next

Genesis - ?

In terms of money, Invisible Touch! :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol:

Money?ABSOLUTELY!

I'm thinking Duke is the best with them as a threesome. To me, it was their last truly progressive album. Of the others listed, I also like "And Then There Were Three" and "Abacab". The former suffered a little bit because of the transition to a threesome and the latter is good, but no longer what I would consider progressive.
  • Like 2

I'm thinking Duke is the best with them as a threesome. To me, it was their last truly progressive album. Of the others listed, I also like "And Then There Were Three" and "Abacab". The former suffered a little bit because of the transition to a threesome and the latter is good, but no longer what I would consider progressive.

ATTWT is an interesting record,which i find rewarding on most listens!The Lady Lies is just classic G,and harkens back in sound to the five man era!Follow You,Follow Me doesn't work for me!

Oh if you want to talk money in general.......the Gabriel era was a flop in those terms, lol. The trio was a monster beast money wise.

Mick

Oh I know... they were more popular here in Italy than in their own England... But really, money is not the point, you know it as well as I do, it's just weird to look back and remember freakin' GENESIS being all over MTV and girls talking about them...

• Like 1

Is Abacab the best album of those listed in this poll? But I voted for it anyway because I enjoy it the most. Nix "Who Dunnit?" and replace it with either "Paperlate" or "You Might Recall" and I think you have a near-perfect "Prog Pop" albums.

I always perferred the Collins-Genesis to the Gabriel-Genesis. I find it so much more enjoyable.

• Like 2

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.
  • Like 2

Genesis / Shapes album for me.

Home by the Sea(s) & Mama are just killer every time.

I've tried so hard to get into Selling England by the Pound and Lamb Lies Down.. Even W&W.. I love prog like most people here but many Genesis albums just don't do it for me. I recognize their talent of course, strange nothing's really stuck on me except for their self-titled, Turn it On Again, and maybe half of Invisible Touch (especially Domino and Land of Confusion).

• Like 1

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Well hello there Patrick! :hi:

I remember being a very young lad, and being scared of the "Land of Confusion" video. Also, I remember when "I can't Dance" came out. My Sister and used to always do "the walk" from that video. So I can easily say that Genesis was one of the first bands I can truly remember as a young kid. It took them 20 plus years (and discovering the Peter Gabriel era) for them to be my favorite band, second to RUSH.

I also want to mention...I was listening to "We Can't Dance" recently, and there is one song that stood out a lot...

Dreaming While You Sleep

Amazing song. This really is the gem of the album, and further proof that Collins could deliver. A captivating tune, in my opinion.

• Like 1